The SPYDERENCH? A True Hidden Treasue

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
JD Spydo

The SPYDERENCH? A True Hidden Treasue

Post by JD Spydo »

It's been a while since I've heard anyone say anything about the SPYDERENCH. For all you new folks it was Spyderco's extremely unique multi-tool that they sold during two different time periods. It was/is anything but conventional and it was not like any other multi-tool I've ever encountered. I still have two of those SPYDERENCHs and I'll keep them forever because I actually use one on occasions. It is literally a perfect companion tool for any bug out bag and/or survival kit.

The SPYDERENCH was/is truly a tribute to Spyderco's most unique line of products. Unlike a lot of multi-tools on the market the SPYDERENCH was a totally different animal all together. Who else still has one? Who would like to see it return to the main line up? For those of you fortunate enough to own one tell us what you still use it for. Also I wonder if there are any plans for Spyderco to make another multi-tool?

Also note that the Spyderench was another great product out of the GOLDEN ERA of SPYDERS ( 1998-2003).
DutchBlades

Re: The SPYDERENCH? A True Hidden Treasue

Post by DutchBlades »

Absolutely love mine :)
It's a shame they weren't more popular...
A tiger has claws.
A wolf has teeth.
An eagle has talons.
We, have Spyderco.

Grails: Abalone Mini Mariner, Ti ATR, WTC, Ti Lum Tanto
Stuart Ackerman

Post by Stuart Ackerman »

I am going to Kalgard Gunkote mine at some stage, in Red and Black... :)
crazywednesday

Post by crazywednesday »

JD Spydo wrote:It's been a while since I've heard anyone say anything about the SPYDERENCH. For all you new folks it was Spyderco's extremely unique multi-tool that they sold during two different time periods. It was/is anything but conventional and it was not like any other multi-tool I've ever encountered. I still have two of those SPYDERENCHs and I'll keep them forever because I actually use one on occasions. It is literally a perfect companion tool for any bug out bag and/or survival kit.

The SPYDERENCH was/is truly a tribute to Spyderco's most unique line of products. Unlike a lot of multi-tools on the market the SPYDERENCH was a totally different animal all together. Who else still has one? Who would like to see it return to the main line up? For those of you fortunate enough to own one tell us what you still use it for. Also I wonder if there are any plans for Spyderco to make another multi-tool?

Also note that the Spyderench was another great product out of the GOLDEN ERA of SPYDERS ( 1998-2003).
This thread is worthless without pics!

Justin
Justin
palonej

Post by palonej »

crazywednesday wrote:
JD Spydo wrote:It's been a while since I've heard anyone say anything about the SPYDERENCH. For all you new folks it was Spyderco's extremely unique multi-tool that they sold during two different time periods. It was/is anything but conventional and it was not like any other multi-tool I've ever encountered. I still have two of those SPYDERENCHs and I'll keep them forever because I actually use one on occasions. It is literally a perfect companion tool for any bug out bag and/or survival kit.

Justin
Very true Justin!! These guys should be ashamed!!
PICS!!!
:D
I would LOVE to get my hands on one or two of these!
Joe
murphjd25

Post by murphjd25 »

palonej wrote:
crazywednesday wrote:

Justin
Very true Justin!! These guys should be ashamed!!
PICS!!!
:D
I would LOVE to get my hands on one or two of these!
Joe
Amen brother. If I ever find one of these for a decent price I'm pouncing all over it!
Josh
LDB

Post by LDB »

I'm in if they ever bring it back. And yes, where are the pics.
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

Here are a couple of pictures from a review of the Byrdwrench I did years ago.

I still have my original 440C Golden made Rench and a couple of factory second AUS-8 Taiwan made pieces.
kensei

Post by kensei »

Definitely would get one if Spyderco reissues it... rare in secondary market and prices are often astronomical...
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

kensei wrote:Definitely would get one if Spyderco reissues it... rare in secondary market and prices are often astronomical...
What are these astronomical prices?? Because I haven't even seen one for sale in about 4 years. I have one of the GOLDEN USA made units with the 440C blade and full Spyderedged I might add.

Thanks for the pics YAB :) It kind of baffles me as to why it didn't become a permanent fixture in the main lineup >> I use mine as a companion to my Swiss Tool X and my other Swiss Tool ( Victorinox). I would kind of like to see what Spyderco would come up with using a more conventional design. But maybe it would be cost prohibitive :(

When I've actually used my Spyderench as a companion tool to my Swiss Tool it truly is very functional. Yeah I don't even see the Chinese or Taiwan units anymore either. I'm sure that finding a GOLDEN USA unit would be like finding a Gold bullion coin laying on the roadside. It's really strange how fast these Spyderco collectibles completely disappear from the landscape in such a short time frame. So maybe it's time for a Sprint Run. Maybe with Christmas 6 months off they could do a Spyderench and Spydersaw as a gift set.
farnorthdan

Post by farnorthdan »

I found one on ebay last fall for a decent price, around $150 if memory serves, ended up gifting it to my son and he loves it, uses every day at work. I'd definitely grab another if they did another run.
Happy to be part of this great forum and group of down to earth spyderco addicts, Thanks Sal and gang.
My Grails: Lum Tanto folder sprint, Sprint Persian(red), Captain, Manix 2 (M4), SB MT, PM2 M390, CF dodo, Manix2 (CF S90V),Manix2 XL S90V, Zowada CF Balance Rassenti Nivarna, Lil' Nilakka, Tuff, Police 4, Chinook 4, Caly HAP40 52100 Military, S110V Military, Any/All PM2 & Military sprints/exclusives I can get my grubby hands on :) :spyder: :) :spyder: :)

"We may look curious, homely, whatever, but we'll never be called unusable or undependable."
ThePeacent

Post by ThePeacent »

They are indeed excellent and unique tools. As they always do, Spyderco came out with an extraordinary and unseen design, with great performance and innovative features.
I could never get one and nowadays they are among the most rare and expensive multitools ($150-250) so I can only drool over pics and posts of them.

Even the Byrd model is really sought after and hard to find. The only multitool that resembles to it -function wise- it's the Piranha MT series made in China, and obviously not nearly as well built and durable as the original Spyderco design.

IMO the true next step in the multitool world, and the biggest revolution in the field after Leatherman's plier based tool, SOG's Compound Leverage or Gerber's flicking action, would be the H1 multitool.
A design, new or close to an existent one, made of rust-proof steel and parts, so you could carry it in the boat, use it in the coast or clean it in the river during a hike without any corrosion problems.
LC200N or H1 could potentially change the world of these tools and their versatility, and in the Mt.org forum and others it's been dreamed about and asked for many many years now.

If a company has the potential to do it, that's Spyderco!!!
hudsonhawk

Post by hudsonhawk »

I have the Byrd version, and I use it constantly. Leave it to Spyderco to improve the design and function of the multitool, and still have a quality and usable blade. I know Sal has said producing them was difficult, but I know a lot of us would love to see another run someday.
:spyder: :spyder: :spyder:
Most recently added and enjoying: CF Cruwear Manix 2 and LW Manix 2
Daily Carry: Blue CF Domino and well-loved Manix 2 LW.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

Maybe this would be a good forum knife? (as long as it is not made in China!)
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

Doc Dan wrote:Maybe this would be a good forum knife? (as long as it is not made in China!)

Yes!!!
Peter1960

Post by Peter1960 »

I sold mine because it was to complicated in use for my taste and replaced it by Victorinox Spirit Plus which makes me happy every day. Sorry JD ...
Peter - founding member of Spydiewiki.com

"Integrity is being good even if no one is watching"
Spyderco's company motto
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Hey I would be all for using the original SPYDERENCH as a "Forum Knife" but only if they would make it in GOLDEN, CO USA like they did the original Spyderench.

Also I've been wondering if it isn't about time for a SPYDERENCH 2 model?
LDB

Post by LDB »

Doc Dan wrote:Maybe this would be a good forum knife? (as long as it is not made in China!)
+1 more
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

hudsonhawk wrote:I have the Byrd version, and I use it constantly. Leave it to Spyderco to improve the design and function of the multitool, and still have a quality and usable blade. I know Sal has said producing them was difficult, but I know a lot of us would love to see another run someday.
It's one of the very few Spyderco products made in China that I would cross over and bite the bullet and buy it anyway. Because for personal reasons I tend to boycott anything made in China>> but for the Byrd version of the Spyderench I would probably make an exception. The other Byrd item I would compromise and buy would be the Byrd Crossbill ( Byrd's Hawkbill blade).

But I would certainly buy the Chinese version of the Spyderench for one to put in my tackle box or bug out bag>> however I would much rather any new editions of this great tool be made at the GOLDEN,CO plant.

I can't remember the name of the guy who designed the Spyderench >> his first name is Marty but his last name escapes me at this point. It is truly an awesome piece of design and engineering.

Again I wouldn't even be opposed to a new updated, improved Spyderench 2 version. As great of a tool as it is>> it is as though it's a carefully hidden secret in the Halls of Spyderville. Yeah it's time for it to re-emerge :cool:
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

It's a cool idea but I'm even more picky about my multi tool than I am my pocket knife, and it just doesn't have the tool layout that I prefer. I'd also really prefer needle nose pliers over an adjustable wrench.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David