The Militaries; What Spyderco Does Very Well

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
dreadpirate

The Militaries; What Spyderco Does Very Well

Post by dreadpirate »

Now that I have had the opportunity to own a PM2, Para 3, and a Millie, seems to me that these are the kind folding knives that are right in Spydercos' wheel house; this is what they do well, their specialty, their thing. Now I know why some members have 6 or 10 PM2's. I have 2 PM2's, and plan on getting an additional Para 3 and Millie. These knives have such outstanding ergos. I think if I were to choose a knife purely by its handle, it would be one of these three depending on my use case; EDC, medium or heavy utility.

SpyderEdgeForever

Re: The Militaries; What Spyderco Does Very Well

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

It is one of the most well-designed and best knives ever, and I do not have one yet. I would like to see an alternative version with a Saber Grind and even top Swedge False Edge on it, made available along with the standard grind.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I have to say the Military is probably the best knife they make, maybe not for every scenario and it has room for improvement but what it does it does exceptionally well. Consider that my opinion comes from originally not liking this knife at all and coming around full circle and now I own 5 of them.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Evil D wrote:I have to say the Military is probably the best knife they make, maybe not for every scenario and it has room for improvement but what it does it does exceptionally well. Consider that my opinion comes from originally not liking this knife at all and coming around full circle and now I own 5 of them.
EVIL D you took or should I say stole my thunder :D I have to "high five" you on your comment about the C-36 Military model. For a long time my favorite EDC folder was my C-60 Ayoob model>> but about 2 years ago I made the trade of my life when I let go of a favorite collector piece to get my M390 Military. I started EDCing it and the rest is history as Howard Cosell would have said it :rolleyes: :D For a folder to unseat my idolized C-60 Ayoob model was truly an evolution in action to say the least.

Now I had owned a few C-36 Military models up to that point and the 440V full Spyderedged was one I've loved for years. But that M390 model just put it up several rungs on the ratings and has thus become my primary EDC and I don't look for it to be dethroned anytime in the near future. I've also in the past few months acquired a 110V Para 2. I love the Para 2 much better than I do the newer Para 3.

But the C-36 Military to me should be Spyderco's icon model>> especially in the newer/better blade steels you can get it in. Long Live The C-36 Military Model :cool:
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

I really like the Military. It is a great knife. I have been thinking of selling my PM2 and buying another one. I am also thinking that the new K390 P4 may unseat the Millie as the king of big knives.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
EmperorMA

Post by EmperorMA »

I definitely love the Military family over all others. The PM2 is my favorite EDC, although I carry my Para 3 more often due to blade length restrictions in the town I work in.

It has often occurred to me that a person with one each of the Military, Paramilitary 2 and Para 3 would be very well equipped for nearly any EDC requirement. He or she would also be very well-represented in terms of what Spyderco is all about.
Wishlist: Delica 4 FFG VG10, Manix 2 LW XHP, Military 204P and S110V, Para 3 Cruwear and S110V, Paramilitary 2 (all versions), SpydieChef LC200N, Caribbean PE and Sheepsfoot SE

Procured: Caly 3.5 VG10, Dragonfly 2 LW VG10, Manix 2 XL S30V, Native 5 LW S110V, Para 3 S30V, Paramilitary 2 S110V
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

Of the Spyders I own the Military is my favourite and I have three (maybe soon four). I like the PM2 too but not so much. :rolleyes:
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
paladin

Post by paladin »

Military is a "Big Little Knife..."

Nice distal taper makes it great for cutting into even the most obstinate material.

It's slim thanks to the nested liners and Walker liner lock, and they aren't pocket anchors.

And in the tip down configuration, it's my go-to back pocket knife.

It's a very user-serviceable model also. I was taking my Millies apart long before it kosher to do so...

I even used my first 440v Military to cut that tag off my mattress that's illegal to remove...what can I say? I'm a rebel :rolleyes: ;) :p
What is truth? Pontius Pilate
timlara

Post by timlara »

Maybe paladin answered it, but that is my biggest question: Of those who love the Military, how do you prefer to carry it? Back pocket?

In my experience, I like everything about the Millie except for the tip-down only carry, but I have never tried carrying it in the back pocket. (I know I don't like carrying it in my usual spot, right-front-pocket, which is why I ended up selling mine in the past.)

However, for some reason I keep thinking about trying it again. Some of these recent sprints have been very, very tempting....
Tim
tripscheck'em

Post by tripscheck'em »

I can't carry the Military every day as a civilian, it's massive and I felt kinda ridiculous using it for menial jobs. It really is intended for a soldier.
KingRat

Post by KingRat »

It's my favorite. I carry and use one most every day. It fits "just right:, like Goldilock's last bed.
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

paladin wrote:And in the tip down configuration, it's my go-to back pocket knife.

...what can I say? I'm a rebel :rolleyes: ;) :p
From one rebel to another...!

We can't legally carry any knives in Oz but unless I'm going to a pub or I've had a drink a Millie in my back right pocket compliments my tight buns very nicely! :rolleyes:
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
anycal

Post by anycal »

timlara wrote:...Of those who love the Military, how do you prefer to carry it? Back pocket?...
I only have one (soon to have a large friend, P4), but I carry it every chance I get, mainly outdoors.

Outdoors or around the yard, back pocket. If I'm doing something active, clipped in front pocket; less likely to fall out. I don't carry it much around town, but if it happens to be on me, IWB or in pocket.

How don't you carry it. Maybe not a good necker?!
Peter
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

tripscheck'em wrote:I can't carry the Military every day as a civilian, it's massive and I felt kinda ridiculous using it for menial jobs. It really is intended for a soldier.
Good excuse to carry 2 blades, I always have a Ladybug or Dragonfly along with it.
~David
farnorthdan

Post by farnorthdan »

Back pocket a military almost daily, I'm at about a dozen, some dupes. The 52100 is my current favorite, great blade in a lite package. Like D, and others, I usually carry a second smaller companion.
Happy to be part of this great forum and group of down to earth spyderco addicts, Thanks Sal and gang.
My Grails: Lum Tanto folder sprint, Sprint Persian(red), Captain, Manix 2 (M4), SB MT, PM2 M390, CF dodo, Manix2 (CF S90V),Manix2 XL S90V, Zowada CF Balance Rassenti Nivarna, Lil' Nilakka, Tuff, Police 4, Chinook 4, Caly HAP40 52100 Military, S110V Military, Any/All PM2 & Military sprints/exclusives I can get my grubby hands on :) :spyder: :) :spyder: :)

"We may look curious, homely, whatever, but we'll never be called unusable or undependable."
Midnightrider

Post by Midnightrider »

I'm edcing a blurple Millie for the last couple of months. Superb...
Millies in S110V, CTS-204p, REX 45, PM2/S110v, Native 5/Maxamet, P4/K390, Pacific Salt SE/H1, UK PK
Wants/Wishes (only NIB and EU): Militarys in 52100, Maxamet, Cru-Wear, Manix 2/Maxamet
Yes, Virginia, that's a Purple Haze in my suit pocket :)
hoghunter82

Post by hoghunter82 »

Every time I think I want a Para 2, I keep going back to search for a Military. I have very long hands & the Military feels custom made. I am a user of folding knives & not a collector (I have Randall Made Knives for collecting). I see all of these variants but thinking I should probably just get the S30V version. That BladeHQ special run looks gorgeous but the M4 steel and the comments I've seen around about it not being Stainless Steel. I am not a metallurgist so I don't know if that's just bunk. I don't want to have to baby a Steel.
tonijedi

Post by tonijedi »

paladin wrote: I even used my first 440v Military to cut that tag off my mattress that's illegal to remove...what can I say? I'm a rebel :rolleyes: ;) :p
I'm completely clueless about that tag! What is it? :confused:
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

He's talking about the consumer tag on mattresses and pillows. It's illegal for the seller to remove but not the owner ;)
~David
krikun98

Post by krikun98 »

hoghunter82 wrote:That BladeHQ special run looks gorgeous but the M4 steel and the comments I've seen around about it not being Stainless Steel. I am not a metallurgist so I don't know if that's just bunk. I don't want to have to baby a Steel.

M4 is not stainless, but you do not have to baby it. Get a patina going and you'll be fine! The steel's worth it.