The Militaries; What Spyderco Does Very Well

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
dtoad

Re: The Militaries; What Spyderco Does Very Well

Post by dtoad »

JD Spydo wrote: But the C-36 Military to me should be Spyderco's icon model>> especially in the newer/better blade steels you can get it in. Long Live The C-36 Military Model :cool:
Well said my friend, and as you know arguably the knife of the century IMHO. I carry one daily, and could not imagine my life without.

Here is a little snap I posted on IG today of some deep rotators for this week :)

vivi

Post by vivi »

timlara wrote:Maybe paladin answered it, but that is my biggest question: Of those who love the Military, how do you prefer to carry it? Back pocket?

In my experience, I like everything about the Millie except for the tip-down only carry, but I have never tried carrying it in the back pocket. (I know I don't like carrying it in my usual spot, right-front-pocket, which is why I ended up selling mine in the past.)

However, for some reason I keep thinking about trying it again. Some of these recent sprints have been very, very tempting....
I think the Military is a top 5 Spyderco but this is something I feel could be improved.

Carried right front pocket when I draw a Military the jimping likes to grab the lip of my pocket.

Carried in my rear pocket or IWB I've had it come open on accident.

I really like how it carries in a 3 o clock positioned cellphone pocket.

I think the design is essentially perfect aside from the lock choice. I understand it contributes to it being so light so it's a logical choice, but I think a different lock would be beneficial in two ways.

One with a stronger self close (Lockback, CBBL) would make it safer to carry in a rear pocket or IWB, and using a lock that does not need a large cut-out to facilitate closing would improve the ergonomics, particularly in reverse grip.

If I still carried liner locks the Military would be my EDC. The stronger self close of my Szabo folder, Manix XL and Police 3 put them over the top for me since they are safer to carry, but there are many attributes of the Military I strongly prefer to those knives. Pointier tip than the Manix, much lighter than the Szabo, offered in DLC while the Police 3 isn't etc.

It's a pure classic, but I hope we see the Military 2 some day.
dtoad

Post by dtoad »

When I carry a knife specifically for defense or protection needs, I carry something that was designed to be waved from the front or back pocket. A tip down military was not designed solely as a weapon of front or back pocket defense.
carrot

Post by carrot »

To me the Military is a true classic. It's a design that's truly withstood the test of time. I think the quirks of its design- the big butt, the high-rise, tip-down only pocket clip, the big lock cutout- they all add to the charm that is the Military. It's unapologetically purpose-built and that makes it unique amongst production folders which often try to fill so many roles. The fact that, despite its singular focus, it does find itself easily in so many pockets is just a testament to Sal's brilliance, a design that so many can appreciate.

The Para, and then the Military were some of my first Spydercos. That first Paramilitary won me over to the Spyderco side with its great hand feel, perfect blade shape and uniquely suited compression lock. Except for a foray into Sebenza, I haven't really carried anything but Spyderco since.
StuttgartMadness

Post by StuttgartMadness »

The series deserves Knife of Infinity....
Currently lusting after the PM2 in S110V... And the Para 3... And the Military... And pretty much everything else...

"A man without a knife, is a man without a life"
-Anonymous (This guy has some great quotes)
Bill1170

Post by Bill1170 »

dtoad wrote:When I carry a knife specifically for defense or protection needs, I carry something that was designed to be waved from the front or back pocket. A tip down military was not designed solely as a weapon of front or back pocket defense.
Valid point. The Military was designed as a utility tool for soldiers, not as a weapon.