Rank the existing FRN colors

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
twinboysdad

Rank the existing FRN colors

Post by twinboysdad »

And Zome can be included. That makes black, orange, purple, grey, brown, green, blue on the D4/E4. You have yellow on the Salts, British racing green ZDP, burnt orange HaP 40, the Kahr Delica's, and the NASA white. Sure I have left some out. If you don't feel like ranking, pick a favorite and a loser.
Surfingringo

Re: Rank the existing FRN colors

Post by Surfingringo »

I'm a big fan of orange. Green, not so much.
SG89

Post by SG89 »

My favorites are burnt orange, purple, pink, kahr blue, kahr Khaki, toxic green. Can we name FRCP colors too?
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
SG89

Post by SG89 »

Forgot about maxamet grey n5, never summer red n5, UKPK S110V blue, pingo K390 blue, military appreciation tan n5
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
SpyderEdgeForever

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

I tend to prefer the black FRN but I do also have the Yellow. I wish I could have the White FRN and also Earthtone FRN.

I am looking forward to the very unique green and yellow and black colors of the G10 handle of the upcoming Caribbean, and I'd love to see that in FRN, that basic color pattern.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Top Five (in order):
Tan - as on the PX Native Lightweights - I'd love an FRN VG-10 Stretch 2 in this color
Grey - there have been several, but I'm talking about the color of the first Sprint Run Calypso Jr.
White
Brown
Blue - bright dark blue, as on the BF Forum Spyderhawk and Spyderco Forum Native 3

Losers:
Zome - hideous
Olive Green - almost as bad
Toxic/LIme Green
British Racing Green
Foliage Green ( are you starting to see a pattern here?)
Last edited by The Deacon on Sat Jul 22, 2017 9:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

I can't really say that I have a favorite FRN color but I carry a light blue Delica often so I definitely like that one. I also have a bright orange Deli that I like but it doesn't get carried much for some reason. Some other FRN/FRCP colors I like are the dark grey used on the K390 Urban, British Racing Green, and the blue used on the S110V models. I really like the blue they used on the early ZDP knives. I have a few of the HAP40 models and I think the burnt orange is okay but not a favorite.
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
Slumblor

Post by Slumblor »

I like grey, I have a grey Delica and the K390 urban. The maxamet grey is cool too. I like the Delica blue, but don't have one yet. I really like the old zdp blue, would prefer it over the BRG. Burnt orange and salt yellow are cool, but I don't like bright colors poking out of my pocket most of the time. Not a fan of the green on the Delica/endura.
It's really nice that they give us options and variety though.
attila

Post by attila »

HAP40 burnt orange
S110V LW dark blue
ZDP green

I think I'd like the superblue sprint run grey, old ZDP blue, and neversummer red, but I don't have any of these.

I just discovered Meerkat burgundy, and like it a lot:
Have: old S30V Native, HAP40 Endura, ZDP DF2, S110V Manix LW, Cru-wear Para 3, SE H1 DF2, S90V Native 5, K390 Urban, SE Pac Salt, P.I.T.S., XHP Manix LW, SB Caly 3, B70P, PMA11, K03, Kapara, REX 45 Military, 154CM Manix LW, Swick, AEB-L Urban, KC Cruwear Manix, M390 PM2, Mantra 2, CruCarta Shaman, M390 Manix, K390 Police 4, S90V Manix LW, Rex 45 Manix LW, 20CV Manix, Rex 45 Lil’Native, Shaman, C208GP, Cruwear Manix, Cruwear Manix, M4 Chief, Z-max!!!

Want: SPY27, K490, Swick 5
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Surfingringo wrote:I'm a big fan of orange. Green, not so much.
Actually I like all of what I affectionately call Spyderco's FRN "nuclear" colors. I love the nuclear Yellow, Orange, and especially the nuclear Green that was used on the Sprint Run, H-1 Catcherman. One big reason I like those colors on FRN hard use knives is because they are easy to find if misplaced and they would be also a lot easier to find if you dropped one in a stream or a lake or even in relatively shallow salt water.

SURF I would think being you're around water doing your fishing and boating that you would like those colors for similar reasons as I stated. The Yellow and orange in the bright nuclear colors would probably be the easiest to find if lost, misplaced or GOD forbid fell overboard :eek:

I very much miss the old yellow handled, AUS-8 Catcherman models from way back. Why they disco'd the yellow handled CATCHERMAN really baffles me. But colored FRN truly does have some practical advantages to it.
greencobra

Post by greencobra »

i'm liking that zome thats out currently, the dark muted green i guess for lack of a better description. don't know how much i'll like it when those funky, bright colors are introduced down the line. the burnt orange is pretty cool, also. not really a fan of bright colors but do like the yellow used on the h1 salts. forgot about them.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

Grey, all the blues, black, orange, and purple.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Halfneck

Post by Halfneck »

1) Foliage Green
2) Brown
3) Burgandy (Caly Jr, Jess Horn LW)
4) Dark Blue (Native)
5) Grey
6) Khaki (Kahr Delica)

After that I don't really care about the other colors & would default to Black.
Slumblor

Post by Slumblor »

^ forgot about foliage green, it's nice, just too bad it's only on the combo edge
LDB

Post by LDB »

Bright orange and yellow far ahead of the rest.
Blue and BRG next and fairly close.
All the rest milling around together way over in the corner.
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

1. Orange
2. Smurf blue
3. Dark blue found on the S110V ukpk
4. Dark grey on the k390 urban
5. Black
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

BlurpleFoliage Green, JadeDelica Blue, Never Summer Red, British Racing Green, Burnt Orange. My top 5.

*My bad, you said FRN
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I like most of them. Green is my favorite color and I like earth tones. The really bright colors have their place and I like my orange Delica. The burnt orange is nice. The blue on the BBS PE Lil' Matriarch is nice. The Kahr blue is nice too. The BRG is probably my favorite though.

I dislike black and loathe toxic green (the only green I don't like). If the color toxic green disappeared from the planet tomorrow I would buy a bottle of Whiskey and celebrate. :)
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

Of the yellow, black, BRG, and grey FRN that I have, I'd rate the latter highest, but really no higher than meh!

I do actively love but don't have burnt orange FRN. Since it seems to be assigned to HAP40 and I don't care for cladded steel, I'll just cut off my nose to spite my face.

Paltry though my FRN collection is, I think it is the totality of colors that Spyderco offers that makes any one color in a large collection better than on its own.
-Marc (pocketing an S110V Native5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

I am surprised no one seems to like the "dentist office green" in the FFG D4/E4. I would never own purple, and I suppose my favorite I don't own is the Armed Forces brown on the Natives Spyderco gives the military. I really like BRG too.