Spyderco Trust

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
hoghunter82

Spyderco Trust

Post by hoghunter82 »

Was in the process of finding a knife for my son. He got his first car & I'm a firm believer in always keeping a quality blade in the car. Wife has a pink Native that she's had for a good while that goes in her truck. We selected the Delica 4 in gray for his car. The knife is absolutely perfect. Solid blade, small enough to put in the glove box, yet strong enough to tackle most everything he may need it to do. Nice father/son moment as I gave it to him. I liked it so much I ordered a Delica 4 FFG in brown for me! No better endorsement for the Spyderco brand than a Dad giving his son a Spyderco knife. Thats how brand loyalty passes from father to son (& wife!). Thank you to the team at Spyderco!
Evil D

Re: Spyderco Trust

Post by Evil D »

Awesome! I gave my boy a Dragonfly for his 10th bday. I plan on starting him on sharpening soon.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
holeshot

Post by holeshot »

My son EDCs a Tenatious I gave him two years ago and brings it to me when she need to be sharpened. :)
"No matter where you go, there you are"
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

The Delica is the best all around knife made, in my opinion. Great choice.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

hoghunter82 wrote:Was in the process of finding a knife for my son. He got his first car & I'm a firm believer in always keeping a quality blade in the car. Wife has a pink Native that she's had for a good while that goes in her truck. We selected the Delica 4 in gray for his car. The knife is absolutely perfect. Solid blade, small enough to put in the glove box, yet strong enough to tackle most everything he may need it to do. Nice father/son moment as I gave it to him. I liked it so much I ordered a Delica 4 FFG in brown for me! No better endorsement for the Spyderco brand than a Dad giving his son a Spyderco knife. Thats how brand loyalty passes from father to son (& wife!). Thank you to the team at Spyderco!
Wish there was a like button for this post! My son came to visit me just before he went into the Marines. I sent him home with a Delica and Persistence. He's now stationed in Hawaii and has his Delica with him daily. I'm about to send him a PM2 as a reward for his achievements.

I hope your son enjoys that Delica for years to come!
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Hoghunter,

Welcome to our forum and thanx much for the kind words. I hope you, and he, enjoy your knives.

sal
murphjd25

Post by murphjd25 »

Great story. I can't wait to give my son his first Spyderco in the future!
Josh
hoghunter82

Post by hoghunter82 »

sal wrote:Hi Hoghunter,

Welcome to our forum and thanx much for the kind words. I hope you, and he, enjoy your knives.

sal
Holy cow! Am I to assume that this is from Mr. Sal Glesser? I just watched the Spyderco factory tour videos today on YouTube and the story was incredible. There are Spydercos in all our cars/trucks now, Spyderco Salts attached to each of our life vests for the Waverunners & a Spyderco on my nightstand. To say we trust the brand you have built is an understatement. Thank YOU, Mr. Glesser!
spyderwolf

Post by spyderwolf »

Great story!
Last edited by spyderwolf on Sat Jul 22, 2017 12:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Whenever there is any doubt, there is no doubt.
spyderwolf

Post by spyderwolf »

Doc Dan wrote:The Delica is the best all around knife made, in my opinion. Great choice.
My opinion,too.They only have one flaw:they tend to multiply ;)
Whenever there is any doubt, there is no doubt.
tonijedi

Post by tonijedi »

spyderwolf wrote:
Doc Dan wrote:The Delica is the best all around knife made, in my opinion. Great choice.
True. I started with just one (a grey one as well) and now I have seven!
SpyderEdgeForever

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

The Delica and Endura.

Here is a question related to this: What is the most reasonable minimum age to give a child family member their very own fully sharp Spyderco lock blade folder? Say you want to give your neice or nephew or grandson or granddaughter an Endura or Delica or other Spyderco model, what age do you think makes sense, along with the child being able to understand knife know how and knife safety?
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

True! Delicas are like pocket lint. They multiply and no one knows how. They just seem to appear. One day you have one, and soon you look and there are 7 (or more).
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
palonej

Post by palonej »

SpyderEdgeForever wrote:The Delica and Endura.

Here is a question related to this: What is the most reasonable minimum age to give a child family member their very own fully sharp Spyderco lock blade folder? Say you want to give your neice or nephew or grandson or granddaughter an Endura or Delica or other Spyderco model, what age do you think makes sense, along with the child being able to understand knife know how and knife safety?
There is no set age. With me, it all depends on the particular child.
I have 3 sons. My oldest got his first when he was 10. Never cut anything but what needed cutting. Paid attention when I explained knife usage and wanted to learn how to sharpen right away.
My middle son??? He's now 24......I'm still scared thinking of him with a sharp object in his hand!!
:D
Joe
tonijedi

Post by tonijedi »

My son is only 2,5 months old, so this is a question I don't have right now :D
On some Facebook groups dedicated to bushcraft it seems a lot of parents start to teach how to handle and use knives tontheir kids at 4 or 5 years old. They don't give a knife to the kids to keep forever, but they teach them while camping basic cuts, carving, safety etc.
It always depends on the kids too, some can pay more attention, follow safety rules better and be more interested in the subject.
embry386

Post by embry386 »

tonijedi wrote:

My son is only 2,5 months old, so this is a question I don't have right now :D
On some Facebook groups dedicated to bushcraft it seems a lot of parents start to teach how to handle and use knives tontheir kids at 4 or 5 years old. They don't give a knife to the kids to keep forever, but they teach them while camping basic cuts, carving, safety etc.
It always depends on the kids too, some can pay more attention, follow safety rules better and be more interested in the subject.
My bro and I got our first full-size knives as Christmas gifts when I was 10 and he was 8. We had some tiny Victorionix multitool-knife combo things sometime before that, I think. Can't remember when we got those. I've never really accidentally hurt myself on a knife, despite being around them from a pretty young age and playing with them all the time. My bro's gotten cut a few times, nothing too serious. We had a couple of friends who were maybe slightly older than that who freaked out with jealousy when they saw our knives and bugged their parents til they got knives of their own, and I don't know the details of their lives but as far as I know nothing bad came of that either.

Going from that, I'd say knives are probably safe gifts for most children 8+ after a safety lecture or two. And even if the kid does screw up and cut themselves -- well, they'll have learned a valuable lesson about being careful with sharp things, and the injury will heal and the kid will be fine (and more cautious in the future). Knives aren't guns and are much safer for kids to play with; it's pretty hard to fatally damage yourself with a knife on accident.
SF Native

Post by SF Native »

My daughter is 12 and has confiscated my hap40 dragonfly and a ladybug. I have told her these cannot go to school under any circumstances and she understands. Otherwise she is as cautious and respectful of the knives as a person needs to be and get a bit of use out of them.
roger-roger

Post by roger-roger »

I just passed on my Phil Wilson Sprig to a nephew, who's become a competent spearfisherman, able to provide table food in his own right. Makes sense that now I'm on the hook for providing a Sharpmaker set as well, hahaha. :eek:
Bill1170

Post by Bill1170 »

spyderwolf wrote:
Ain't that the truth! So do mine, despite my best efforts.
dreadpirate

Post by dreadpirate »

My son already has 60+ knives :)