Is there ANY way to swap a blade on a SS model?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Jim Blooey

Is there ANY way to swap a blade on a SS model?

Post by Jim Blooey »

I've asked this before but thought maybe someone had come up with a clever idea on how to do it.

I have an engraved Delica SS with a sentimental attachment that I ......should not have...... done blade stuff to.

So, I'm wondering if there's any way for me to preserve my nicely engraved handles and stick a new blade in?

New knife and drill out rivet? Yikes!
Evil D

Re: Is there ANY way to swap a blade on a SS model?

Post by Evil D »

The pivot pin can be punched out but I would recommend having it done by someone who knows what they're doing. You might even be able to pay Spyderco to do it if you have a doner blade and pay for it.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

Hi Jim,

There may be other alternatives out there, but I'm thinking you are correct: drilling out the existing pivot and replacing will likely be the best option. My primary concern would be with the tolerances of the lock after the pivot is drilled and replaced. In other words, there isn't a lot of room for error (especially assuming it's a .125" pivot). Good luck!
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
paladin

Post by paladin »

Have you considered a blade regrind? I know a good guy...RazorEdgeKnives in S.C.
What is truth? Pontius Pilate
Jim Blooey

Post by Jim Blooey »

My problems started with a regrind.
I got this bright idea that I wanted serrated so I had Kelley's Cutlery (who does great work) serrate it for me.
Well...... THEN.... I decided that was a ....MISTAKE... so he ground it back to PLAIN.

Which.... left it a bit...er...um.... smaller. Who'da thunk? heh ;)

It is okay I guess, but I'd sure like to get a full depth blade in there again.

Lesson learned.

MY first worry is what's been mentioned about lock fit.

Probably BEST to think of other things. :o
zhyla

Post by zhyla »

I wouldn't have high hopes for it going back together very tight. But it can be done. You will want to find a beat up SS knife to practice on, don't experiment on something you're attached to (sounds like you learned that lesson though).

You'll need replacement pins and probably a press to flare them. I think that's how they're done -- cut a little too long, smushed with a press, then ground flush with the scales.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Blade pivot is a pin which, in theory, can be punched out with the proper size drift punch. The blade could then be removed and replaced. In practice, I suspect that only a skilled craftsman experienced in building or rebuilding traditional bolster and scales folders would stand a chance of pulling it off successfully. Even then, it would only be certain to work with a blade from another SS Delica of the same vintage.

One other question comes to mind. Is the knife actually engraved, or has it been fitted with one or more engraved overlays. I ask because many "Western style" engraved Spydercos are overlays. If that's the case, it may be easier to find someone who could remove the overlay(s) and then reapply them to a new Delica.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

The biggest stumbling block, even for an experienced craftsman, would be finishing the ends of the new pivot pin without wiping out the engraving. Without seeing it, I can't be certain, but I would guess that it is time to call it "leason learned", put it in a display case with the blade closed and move on.