S90V DLC Yojimbo 2 (coyote brown) Exclusive

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Liquid Cobra

S90V DLC Yojimbo 2 (coyote brown) Exclusive

Post by Liquid Cobra »

On one of the Facebook groups tonight I came across this image..

I asked the person who posted it and she said it was a S90V Yojimbo 2 with DLC and coyote g10. An exclusive through JB Outman. I'm not familiar with them. Sounds like it's in the works though.

Anyone know more details or care to shed some light on this?
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
Mushroom

Re: S90V DLC Yojimbo 2 (coyote brown) Exclusive

Post by Mushroom »

Wish I knew more, but I definitely know I need a Yojimbo 2 with a black DLC blade!!!

.... already thinking of a scale swap! :rolleyes:
-Nick :bug-red
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

ImageReally??? You guys aren't messing with me? :cool:
Handle swap for sure (seriously why wouldn't you do all black?), but S90V? Hellz yeah :D . Sign me up!
...Maybe I'll get Denim Micarta Scales for a Black and Blue Yo 2 :cool:
Last edited by ZrowsN1s on Fri Jul 21, 2017 5:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

Pretty sure you guys are familiar with JB Outman and you just don't know it. They've run several exclusives like the very recent pink PM2 and the blue Tenacious models. If what LC says is true, there is an extremely good chance this is legit.

Has anyone revived Evil D yet? He's probably still unconscious on the floor after seeing that pic!! ;) :D
It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
SG89

Post by SG89 »

Wow. Sweet
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
toxophilus

Post by toxophilus »

Whitetail addict wrote:nice! might finally get myself a yojimbo 2
Right there beside ya!
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Holy cow, I've been begging for a DLC Yojimbo 2 ever since it came out, and with S90V too?? WOW. Count me in.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

RadioactiveSpyder wrote:Pretty sure you guys are familiar with JB Outman and you just don't know it. They've run several exclusives like the very recent pink PM2 and the blue Tenacious models. If what LC says is true, there is an extremely good chance this is legit.

Has anyone revived Evil D yet? He's probably still unconscious on the floor after seeing that pic!! ;) :D
So that could mean that t will be widely available across multiple dealers then? Because that would be great news.
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390

@liquid_cobra
on_the_edge

Post by on_the_edge »

Uh-oh. :eek:
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

RadioactiveSpyder wrote: Has anyone revived Evil D yet? He's probably still unconscious on the floor after seeing that pic!! ;) :D

AAAAAHH!!! Image

Seriously good news. I would have been happy with S30V but DLC S90V is off the charts good. I don't even mind the coyote brown but it will most likely get swapped out for all black.
~David
Cheddarnut

Post by Cheddarnut »

Doesnt this push it into the Mall Ninja category?
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

Cheddarnut wrote:Doesnt this push it into the Mall Ninja category?
Nah. Mall Ninjas don't use S90V. If it was stainless, 440, or something unknown then maybe. S90V is a connoisseur's steel. I'm carrying my S90V Cf yojimbo today by pure coincidence. I won't be purchasing the one but I'm glad to see it's being made.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Only if you see all DLC as being mall ninja-esc. It just makes sense if you ask me, to have a self defense knife in a subdued black finish. I spent about a year carrying the DLC Para 2 and using it around coworkers, and I'm convinced that (despite what all black might suggest) it was far less threatening to the people around me and often times was completely unnoticed. I believe people have a subconscious connection between shiny reflective blades and slasher movies. How many horror movies have you seen where there's a knife or machete or whatever that gets moon light reflected off it? There's always that scene where the killer has the knife and the blade is all shiny and menacing. An all blacked out blade might seem like something you'd group with those evil black rifles but I really believe DLC helps to tone down the appearance and draws less attention when using it. It definitely seems more tacti-cool when laying on a table next to a satin blade version, but in use I've found it to be the opposite.
~David
Cheddarnut

Post by Cheddarnut »

Evil D wrote:
Only if you see all DLC as being mall ninja-esc. It just makes sense if you ask me, to have a self defense knife in a subdued black finish. I spent about a year carrying the DLC Para 2 and using it around coworkers, and I'm convinced that (despite what all black might suggest) it was far less threatening to the people around me and often times was completely unnoticed. I believe people have a subconscious connection between shiny reflective blades and slasher movies. How many horror movies have you seen where there's a knife or machete or whatever that gets moon light reflected off it? There's always that scene where the killer has the knife and the blade is all shiny and menacing. An all blacked out blade might seem like something you'd group with those evil black rifles but I really believe DLC helps to tone down the appearance and draws less attention when using it. It definitely seems more tacti-cool when laying on a table next to a satin blade version, but in use I've found it to be the opposite.
I appreciate your real world experience, and wouldn't have guessed that to be the outcome. It might be worth trying out just as a social experiment (cause my old excuses for buying new blades have worn thin and are hanging on by a thread...)
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Cheddarnut wrote:
I appreciate your real world experience, and wouldn't have guessed that to be the outcome. It might be worth trying out just as a social experiment (cause my old excuses for buying new blades have worn thin and are hanging on by a thread...)

If you simply asked the average person which knife seems more intimidating, they would most likely choose the black one, but in use it seemed the opposite. I think the issue was that people just didn't notice the black blade as much. When you're 10 yards from someone it's a lot easier to spot a shiny blade than a black blade, and that's really the whole point of DLC, it's to subdue the presence of an item.

They do the same thing with wrist watches....

Normal, safe, non threatening Hamilton:

Evil, tactical, threatening Hamilton:

Same watch, but man that black one sure is more evil isn't it? lol

Our society/media has pushed people to believe that black=evil so I think any social experiment would result in the DLC knife being labeled as the scary knife. The key is subduing the presence of the knife, and that's where it seemed to help me in use. But, I also wasn't waving the thing around like Michael Myers either.
~David
Cheddarnut

Post by Cheddarnut »

Evil D wrote:
Cheddarnut wrote:

If you simply asked the average person which knife seems more intimidating, they would most likely choose the black one, but in use it seemed the opposite. I think the issue was that people just didn't notice the black blade as much. When you're 10 yards from someone it's a lot easier to spot a shiny blade than a black blade, and that's really the whole point of DLC, it's to subdue the presence of an item.

They do the same thing with wrist watches....

Normal, safe, non threatening Hamilton:

Evil, tactical, threatening Hamilton:

Same watch, but man that black one sure is more evil isn't it? lol

Our society/media has pushed people to believe that black=evil so I think any social experiment would result in the DLC knife being labeled as the scary knife. The key is subduing the presence of the knife, and that's where it seemed to help me in use. But, I also wasn't waving the thing around like Michael Myers either.
So what we really need is flesh coloured DLC and G10 that blends in with our hands.
Also, you have a special relationship with all things evil, D, which grants you a certain impunity in the field, as well as on screen.
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

Evil D wrote:
I was gearing up to respond with this exact same answer as your experience with DLC has mirrored mine. Well said.

The real question here, for me anyways, is do I do a blade/ hardware swap with a standard Yo2 to get the all black version I've always wanted. I think I know the answer though...

@liquid_cobra
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Cheddarnut wrote: So what we really need is flesh coloured DLC and G10 that blends in with our hands.
Also, you have a special relationship with all things evil, D, which grants you a certain impunity in the field, as well as on screen.
I'm a 6 foot shaved head bearded guy with lots of tattoos. I'm a walking breathing stereotype. Carrying any knife and not looking threatening is a challenge for me, so if I can keep things subdued then it helps. Back when I used that DLC Para 2 I was working for a very conservative company filled with very conservative people who all would have been a little uncomfortable around a ~4 inch blade. Granted, they all knew me and knew I wasn't a maniac, but I noticed less people staring at me when I was using the black blade vs. the satin Para 2 that it replaced.
~David
Cheddarnut

Post by Cheddarnut »

Evil D wrote:
Cheddarnut wrote: So what we really need is flesh coloured DLC and G10 that blends in with our hands.
I'm a 6 foot shaved head bearded guy with lots of tattoos. I'm a walking breathing stereotype. Carrying any knife and not looking threatening is a challenge for me, so if I can keep things subdued then it helps. Back when I used that DLC Para 2 I was working for a very conservative company filled with very conservative people who all would have been a little uncomfortable around a ~4 inch blade. Granted, they all knew me and knew I wasn't a maniac, but I noticed less people staring at me when I was using the black blade vs. the satin Para 2 that it replaced.
Sounds like you could use a coat of DLC yourself. A 'David Like Coating'.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Cheddarnut wrote:
Evil D wrote:
Sounds like you could use a coat of DLC yourself. A 'David Like Coating'.
LOL no kidding man, that's called "long sleeve shirts" :D
~David