Stretch 2 thoughts

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
AH2525

Stretch 2 thoughts

Post by AH2525 »

I'm getting back into knives and specifically Spyderco after a long absence and was looking at the Stretch 2. I'm rotating a Roadie and Dogtag as my office EDC in dress slacks where I try and be low-key. I'm looking for a "larger" model for my off hours. I carried a Delica for years and was looking at a Salt 1 as it's replacement but then saw the Stretch 2.

I'd appreciate any input or info or reviews of the Stretch 2.
mrtodd777

Re: Stretch 2 thoughts

Post by mrtodd777 »

I own salts, delicas, enduras, and two stretches. (ZDP and VG10). I have found that out of all the Seki models, the Stretch is far and away my favorite. Its great for EDC, excels in the kitchen, and is a Hunters dream folder.
Eli Chaps

Post by Eli Chaps »

I am huge Delica fan! I have been trying several Spyderco knives over the past few months in an effort to find one that will dethrone it as my ideal EDC knife. One of them that I have purchased being a Stretch 2. It is a pretty large knife and has a bit of heft to it. That is neither a criticism nor a compliment, each individual will need to decide for themselves. It has a great blade shape and I think it is a very well done knife. That said, it just doesn't fit my hand right. The clip digs in a little and I get some "pinching" along my middle two fingers. It is fine if you choke up and use the choil but with the handle alone, for my hand, it is just a little off. Still, a really nice knife that many people love but it just isn't for me individually.

For a larger knife, for me personally, it would still be the Manix 2 LW or an Endura.
mb1

Post by mb1 »

For comparison on the personal preference subject, I dislike the Endura and love the Stretch. The finger grooves on the Endura don't fit my hand right. So there's an example where you should handle as many as possible first to see how they strike you.

The Stretch is one of my favorites. Ever. It is truly a great knife. At 3.3 oz, I wouldn't use the term heft, but it is certainly solid. (For heft, try out a Gayle Bradley 1.)
- Mark

"Don't believe everything you think." -anonymous wise man
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I am a big Stretch fan. The Stretch and Stretch2 are ergonomically outstanding. The blade shape holds many back from trying it but in use it is brilliant. I prefer the Stretch over the Endura or Para2.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
Joris Mo

Post by Joris Mo »

For me the Stretch 2 is close to perfect, hoping there will be a HAP40 version in FRN of this one as well.. :rolleyes:
(mine is VG10 and will likely eventually get the ZDP version as well)
anagarika

Post by anagarika »

bearfacedkiller wrote:I am a big Stretch fan. The Stretch and Stretch2 are ergonomically outstanding. The blade shape holds many back from trying it but in use it is brilliant. I prefer the Stretch over the Endura or Para2.
That was what held me back as well (and the price, Endura is longer but cheaper). Once in hand and in use, a lot of things make sense.
Chris :spyder:
elena86

Post by elena86 »

I like Stretch 1 more.Why Sal decided to redesign Stretch 2 with a wider blade it's a mistery to me :confused:

Marius
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

I think if you don't have a Stretch ... buy one! :)
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
Brock O Lee

Post by Brock O Lee »

I have a few FRN Stretch 1's, and they are just excellent! Somewhat strange-looking, but in use the design just works wonderfully. I much prefer them over the Delica /Endura.
Hans

Favourite Spydies: Military, PM2, Shaman, UKPK
Others: Victorinox Pioneer, CRK L Sebenza 31, CRK L Inkosi
FK

Post by FK »

I really like the Delica for EDC however, the Stretch 1 is the most comfortable in the hand to date by Spyderco.
I have ZDP-189, HAP40 and Super Blue in the Stretch 1 design.

Regards,
FK
Mr Blonde

Post by Mr Blonde »

To me the Stretch is pretty much a perfect utility folder. I do prefer the original Stretch over the Stretch 2, as the grip is a little better for my hands and I appreciate the slightly pointier tip. I think I wrote about both knives on my site, if that's any help.
My Spyderco Pics & Reviews: www.spydercollector.com
Last website update: 4-01-2024 Instagram
carpdiem

Post by carpdiem »

I'm with y'all on this one. The original Stretch with the thinner blade was a favorite of mine, but the Stretch 2 just has too much belly and a too wide handle for me.
blur

Post by blur »

Thinking to buy Stretch 2 and Delica 4 as my two knofes used for camping, trekking and all activities i do outside including cutting food.

I wonder which steel you recommend for Stretch2?

I am a person who do not have a knowledge about sharpening :) yet...

Thanks
Username827

Post by Username827 »

blur wrote:Thinking to buy Stretch 2 and Delica 4 as my two knofes used for camping, trekking and all activities i do outside including cutting food.

I wonder which steel you recommend for Stretch2?

I am a person who do not have a knowledge about sharpening :) yet...

Thanks
With what you said, I would go with the Vg-10 for blade steel. It is just a great user steel. This and a Sharpmaker will serve you quite well.
Not hating on ZDP at all, in any way. I even had my Dragonfly go through the washer machine and come out, well, clean. Years later, no sign of rust, and the edge retention really is incredible.
However, VG-10 is a great place to start, in my opinion. Enjoy what you purchase!
spyderHS08

Post by spyderHS08 »

I love the stretch handle but prefer the endura/delica style blade. I've been hoping for years they'd make a sprint run stretch with a standard blade...