How have you preferences changed over the years?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
vivi

How have you preferences changed over the years?

Post by vivi »

Over the years my preferences in Spydercos has changed a decent bit. Here are some examples:

- Moving from an inland area in the northern tip of USA, to a coastal area in the southern tip, superb corrosion resistance became mandatory. It's impossible not to sweat going out to get my mail, much less doing anything active outside. For that reason I carry H1 or DLC stainless 99% of the time.

- I stopped carrying in my front pocket and switched to IWB carry for a number of reasons, so closed width does not matter to me nearly as much anymore. Used to be I'd take the narrow Police 3 over the wide Manix XL for that reason, these days I prefer the Manix XL.

- I had some detent based locks come open in my pocket a few times. The Military and Para 2 used to rule my pockets, now I carry backlocks, ball locks and Szabo folders exclusively for their strong self close.

- I used to be all about the feel of G10. I've since come to prefer FRN Spydercos primarily for the light weight nature. I also like how the edges of the handle are rounded better than G10 handles are.

- I used to carry plain edged folders almost exclusively, only had one serrated Tasman Salt in my collection and it was a beater. These days I carry serrated knives more than plain edge. Since I learned how to sharpen them, I've found they cut more aggressively and sharpen up with less time & effort.

My go to knife used to be a CPMD2 Military. These days it's a SE Pacific Salt.

What about you?
sal

Re: How have you preferences changed over the years?

Post by sal »

Excellent question. I too am curious.

sal
roger-roger

Post by roger-roger »

I started with unliner-ed Lightweight construction in the 90's, and eventually moved to multiple PM2's.

Living in Hawaii I favor corrosion resistance. I've had the PM2 liners lightly rust after sitting in a drawer for a year or two, and that kind of stuff drives me crazy. My PM2's have been replaced with a Manix 2 LW, and I'm eagerly waiting for LC200N offerings.

After close to 15 yr with the material, I'm not too interested in G10 anymore. I'm all about FRN (again) and if my recently acquired Dragonfly 2 is a good example overall, FRN is definitely superior to the FRCP of my M2 LW.

I would also add wire clips are for me the new FRN integrated clips. There are a number of folders I want, but pass over due to the standard pocked clip.
farnorthdan

Post by farnorthdan »

In some ways yes, years back I preferred short stout blades and usually carried something in the 3" range. for the last couple years my preference has changed to longer blades like the Military, also preferring thinner, slicer grinds/blades. I've always carried a wee blade like the Manbug though as a second.
Happy to be part of this great forum and group of down to earth spyderco addicts, Thanks Sal and gang.
My Grails: Lum Tanto folder sprint, Sprint Persian(red), Captain, Manix 2 (M4), SB MT, PM2 M390, CF dodo, Manix2 (CF S90V),Manix2 XL S90V, Zowada CF Balance Rassenti Nivarna, Lil' Nilakka, Tuff, Police 4, Chinook 4, Caly HAP40 52100 Military, S110V Military, Any/All PM2 & Military sprints/exclusives I can get my grubby hands on :) :spyder: :) :spyder: :)

"We may look curious, homely, whatever, but we'll never be called unusable or undependable."
jdw

Post by jdw »

I bought my first Dfly in the late 90's and a frn se cricket next. I have gradually increased the size of the knives that I carry and now really enjoy carrying some variation of the Manix. Corrosion isn't really an issue for me so I have really enjoyed some of the high carbon steels more than straight VG10, but I still think it's a very underrated steel because there are so many great options today.
Do right always. It will give you satisfaction in life.
--Wovoka
toomzz

Post by toomzz »

Not really, I just started to appreciate non-stainless steels more and more last 7 years. Spyderco has been suprising me over the years with their developments in locks, materials, steels, clips and hardware. It just follows the way I like to prefer to carry my knives.
-I do prefer carrying tipup.
-I more and more carry blades in the waistband
-my favorite lock remains the liner- and RIL framelock.
-I prefer deepcarry clips.
-I prefer matte clips for discrete carrying
-I prefer rounded handles for comfortable carrying in the pocket.
Last edited by toomzz on Fri Jul 14, 2017 3:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

I also went from G-10 to FRN.

I've always loved the CBBL and it's still my favorite, but I have moved toward lighter weight.

I also find that I like smaller knives a lot of the time now (basically when I'm not working), and value lightweight more than I once did. So the Chaparral (which was originally just a travel knife) has come into my pocket a lot more.

I'm also quite surprised how much slipjoints have grown on me. I originally bought them just for traveling to europe, but I love the lightweight nature of them and find them secure enough that I sometimes EDC my Urban LW at home.

I've also become _a lot_ more of a steel snob. I carry mostly s110v and Maxamet now, and think of XHP as a "step down" which is actually kind of insane when I look at it rationally.

At this point my dream knife would probably be something very similar to a Chaparral with a CBBL, FRN handle and s110v blade.
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

jdw wrote:I bought my first Dfly in the late 90's and a frn se cricket next. I have gradually increased the size of the knives that I carry and now really enjoy carrying some variation of the Manix.
Do you still use the Dfly?

I have them all over--car, backpack, toolbox, and for that reason I rarely carry them but use them often.
jdw

Post by jdw »

TomAiello wrote:
jdw wrote:I bought my first Dfly in the late 90's and a frn se cricket next. I have gradually increased the size of the knives that I carry and now really enjoy carrying some variation of the Manix.
Do you still use the Dfly?

I have them all over--car, backpack, toolbox, and for that reason I rarely carry them but use them often.
I use it almost daily. I carry it in my opposite pocket for small cutting tasks so that I am not whipping out a Manix to open a bag of chips. To me it's a great carry option. I work both in an office and in the field and it affords me a nice option given the task at hand.
Do right always. It will give you satisfaction in life.
--Wovoka
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

The size of what I wanted to carry slowly increased over the years, but I think the only drastic change for me was an appreciation for DLC blades. I used to dislike them, but now I enjoy their additional corrosion resistance and character. Still prefer a plain blade, but I no longer hate the DLC.
SG89

Post by SG89 »

I went through a buying as many models of Spydies I could phase to see what I like. Discontinued, sprints, used, new, production didn't matter just wanted to find that 1 perfect Spydie. Turns out there is not 1 perfect Spydie for me. There are a bunch of them lol. I learned I prefer stainless to semi stainless steels, I prefer lightweight knives, FFG, I do not care for SE, don't care for recurve or hawkbill, and the para 3 is absolutely amazing
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

I used to like liner and frame locks. However, after several fails, and some coming open in my pocket or in my wife's purse, neither of us will carry a knife with those locks any longer. Now, we only carry back locks, and an occasional BBL and their ilk. Also, these locks are far stronger in actual use.

I used to prefer large knives, and still like them and buy them on occasion. However, I have gravitated to smaller knives. I went to the Manbug extreme (great knife) and other knives of that size, but then moved up a bit. I have now settled on knives of 2.5" to 2.9" in blade length as about right for me.

I prefer the ease of care with stainless steels, but somehow have always loved non-stainless steels a lot. Currently, I am in love with my K390 Urban LW and hope to see more of this steel.

I have owned FRN from several companies, but the FRN from Spyderco's Japanese line is the best there is. I really like this stuff, even more than G10, which I also like. Now, if we are talking linen micarta, that is a different story.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
attila

Post by attila »

My first Spydercos were a saber ground, CE, black Delica 4 and a PE C41 Native. Both were FRN, and FRN has been normal for me. After purchasing a Breeden Rescue, I realized how a more solid construction may be attractive. To that effect, my next Spydies are going to be a Pakkawood Delica, a Caly 3, a Para 3, and a Rhino. I also continue to enjoy FRN Spydies in my Endura, Manix LW, another Delica, old C41, and a Dragonfly.

With regard to serrated vs plain edges, only recently have I become interested in purchasing some serrated Salt blades. I'm interested in the future models with Salt versions.

Corrosion resistance isn't an issue for me, but I do prefer to have resistant alloys if necessary. For example, if I go places I'm likely to get wet or sweaty, I prefer my S110V (or H-1 in the future), but for general use non-stainless is also pleasant to use. I generally prefer steels in the CPM Cruwear family as well as S110V and am looking for more types of steels to like. XHP, H-1, and M390/20CV are the top steels in interested in currently.

With regard to locking mechanisms I don't trust liner locks after one closed on my hand and in small knives, I really would like to see CBBLs.
With the compression lock and slip joint being offered in the little Native, I was saddened that no CBBL is planned. My greatest knife-related desire is a 2.5" bladed knife with a CBBL and, at a minimum, S30V or CPM Cruwear.
Have: old S30V Native, HAP40 Endura, ZDP DF2, S110V Manix LW, Cru-wear Para 3, SE H1 DF2, S90V Native 5, K390 Urban, SE Pac Salt, P.I.T.S., XHP Manix LW, SB Caly 3, B70P, PMA11, K03, Kapara, REX 45 Military, 154CM Manix LW, Swick, AEB-L Urban, KC Cruwear Manix, M390 PM2, Mantra 2, CruCarta Shaman, M390 Manix, K390 Police 4, S90V Manix LW, Rex 45 Manix LW, 20CV Manix, Rex 45 Lil’Native, Shaman, C208GP, Cruwear Manix, Cruwear Manix, M4 Chief, Z-max!!!

Want: SPY27, K490, Swick 5
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

I've noticed a few changes in my preferences as well:

1. Since I'm right-handed, I used to carry all of my knives clipped to my right front pocket. However, after getting my CCW permit several years ago, I tend to carry a firearm in my front right pocket. I've been instead carrying my EDC knife loosely in my left front pocket or clipped IWB at 3 o'clock.

2. I prefer a to carry a smaller knife for EDC (Manbug, Ladybug, Dragonfly) as I generally do no need a large knife for most daily tasks.

3. On the rare occasions I do carry a knife clipped in my pocket, I prefer a low-carry wire clip over stamped clip (due to it being less conspicuous).

4. I never appreciated thinner blades (around 2 mm or less) until I started to experiment with making my own knives. Suddenly, I found myself appreciating the qualities of a thinner blade for its superior slicing capabilities.

5. I still prefer a backspacer over standoffs on my folders. No real reason other than personal preference.

6. Lately, Ive found myself gravitating towards gently contoured handles (in G-10, CF, wood, etc.). Really like how it "improves" the grip.
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
dplafoll

Post by dplafoll »

Until my Nirvana, I didn't think I'd like carrying larger knives (larger than a Delica or so anyways). But now the Nirvana, Endura, and Para Military 2 both are a joy to carry.

The Millie is still too big though. :p
Patrick LaFollette
Current: Dragonfly 2 ZDP-189, Chaparral 1, Techno 1, Delica 4 HAP-40, Dragonfly 2 HAP-40, Mantra 1, Ladybug Salt Hawkbill, Nirvana CPM, Endura 4 HAP-40, Sage 4, Para Military 2 CPM Cru-Wear, Sage 5, Caly3 HAP40, Sliverax, Lil' Nilakka, Chaparral Raffir Noble, Zulu, Manbug HAP40, Meerkat HAP40, Sage 1/Sage 2/Sage 3 CF, Introvert, Techno 2
murphjd25

Post by murphjd25 »

Great question! I honestly believe the only thing that has changed for me is falling in love with Full Flat Grinds, and that happened when I found Spyderco. Needless to say I haven't turned back! I prefer to carry anything from 2.5" to 4" and with Spyderco I've got a great selection to please me every day.
Josh
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

Less G10, more FRN
More in the 3" range, fewer large models
Like trying new steels, so fewer purchases with VG10 or s30v
Wire clip when available
Prefer choils
Like SE on smaller models only, Dfly and below
No longer looking for "hard use" or "tankish"
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

twinboysdad wrote:Less G10, more FRN
More in the 3" range, fewer large models
Like trying new steels, so fewer purchases with VG10 or s30v
Wire clip when available
Prefer choils
Like SE on smaller models only, Dfly and below
No longer looking for "hard use" or "tankish"
Leaf>Wharn>drop point>Sheepsfoot for me
anycal

Post by anycal »

My preference, as far as Spyderco is concerned, is toward a style. Most of my blades are based on my first and still favorite, PM2 - FFG and blade shape. Eight models on my radar which fall into this category; Military, PM, Para, Police, Delica/Salt, Endura/Pacific Salt. I will add Native and Manix to the list, as I like US made knives, have both, like both.

I tried couple other models, but ended up returning them because they just did not work for me - Bradley Folder 2 and Domino.

Since I don't have that many, I prefer them all and use them all. Steel and size change, depending on the task at hand. Beyond that, other than couple of Spyderco flippers (Mantra and Southard), I would like to try different brands.
Peter
kbuzbee

Post by kbuzbee »

farnorthdan wrote:In some ways yes, years back I preferred short stout blades and usually carried something in the 3" range. for the last couple years my preference has changed to longer blades like the Military, also preferring thinner, slicer grinds/blades.
I've been just the opposite. I used to like 3-4" blades but now Balance or Urban are perfectly sized. But I agree with you 100% on thin blades. Opinel #6 are my standard

Ken