Paramilitary 2 lemon

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
anycal

Re: Paramilitary 2 lemon

Post by anycal »

Not a hit of gold on mine.

Peter
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

greencobra wrote:while were on the subject.....i picked up a paramilitary 2 black blade a few weeks ago. the only other golden knives i have to compare it with are a para 3 and a manix 2 xl and the quality is identical between all, super nice knives. my concern with the pm 2 is the blade markings, they appear to be gold in color. is this correct? cause every photo i see, including the spyderco catalog and several you tube reviews, the marks look a silver color. it could be the angle of the light, mine will look silver if i move it around the light and angle it different ways. what do you think? i'm getting para-noid...pun intended.
I always thought the markings on my PM2 with DLC looked more gold color than silver too. Then I realized it was how the light was reflecting off of it. See in the pic below how the lettering looks gold-ish but the bug logo looks silver?

I don't think you have anything to worry about. If you're PM2 feels like it's the same quality as your Para 3 and Manix 2 then I bet it's the real thing.
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
toomzz

Post by toomzz »

Mine is looking white/silver as well....not gold
greencobra

Post by greencobra »

jeez, the more i stare at it it looks silver colored but then it changes to what looks like a gold tint. hey, live and learn.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

anycal wrote:Not a hit of gold on mine.

That is a really good looking Delica.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
anycal

Post by anycal »

Evil D wrote:That is a really good looking Delica.
Yeah, it is a looker; photogenic in the right light. But let's not derail this conversation about lemons.

For Cobra. This is the only pic I have where it shows how white/silver the etching is on the PM2. Can you upload a pic?
Peter
Soakedntorment

Post by Soakedntorment »

So im now in another pickle situation. I was doing a side job last week and I need to get into the air handler usually there’s tape covering the edges to not allow air flow loss. Any who I needed to cut the tape so I used my paramilitary and about a day ago I happen to pull out my blade to wipe it down from pocket lint and I noticed the very tip was broken. I know this tip is pretty thin but I wasn’t using it to pry just only to cut the tape and it broke, I’m sure I was cutting little bit of the panel but **** how brittle is this knife. Now I feel like if I go to cut some insulation off a pipe I might just break the whole blade from making contact with copper. I’ve been using more of my husky utility knife then my spyderco. Think I’m going to look into the manix the blade looks a bit more thicker. Well see.
Valhalla awaits me when I die
awa54

Post by awa54 »

Soakedntorment wrote:So im now in another pickle situation. I was doing a side job last week and I need to get into the air handler usually there’s tape covering the edges to not allow air flow loss. Any who I needed to cut the tape so I used my paramilitary and about a day ago I happen to pull out my blade to wipe it down from pocket lint and I noticed the very tip was broken. I know this tip is pretty thin but I wasn’t using it to pry just only to cut the tape and it broke, I’m sure I was cutting little bit of the panel but **** how brittle is this knife. Now I feel like if I go to cut some insulation off a pipe I might just break the whole blade from making contact with copper. I’ve been using more of my husky utility knife then my spyderco. Think I’m going to look into the manix the blade looks a bit more thicker. Well see.
I have yet to damage a PM 2 tip, but it has always seemed like a possibility...

I used to work on car interiors in a past life, there were many days that I cut copper, aluminum and occasionally mild steel as well as plenty of carpet, fiber board, ABS, PVC and PET. The knives I used all had drop point or spear point blades with fairly obtuse tips and they were likely 440 or 420 at mid 50s Rc, the only one I ever broke a tip on was an Uncle Henry trapper that had a fine tip, that never got used for car stereo install again!

My gut feeling is that I would have broken the very end of the tip off of a PM 2 if I had treated it like my trusty Schrade 3OT or my Wenger SAK, not so much a criticism of the quality of a PM 2, more a realization that very acute tips don't live through that sort of use the way that stouter ones do and that low hardness steels can bend (as the SAK did several times) rather than snap off, when they meet an unexpected piece of metal.

To that end, my go-to Spydercos for rough treatment are the Manix 2 or Native 5, both of which have thicker tip geometry, the N5 is the beefiest blade profile, but the Manix isn't far behind and mine have proved to me that they can take some knocks without showing it. ....however, if I was going to go back to abusive cutting like I did in my old job, I would seriously consider a Value Line knife or a basic Manix 2 LW as a beater, so that *when* I finally pried too hard or hit a really solid piece of metal, I wouldn't have to feel so bad about mauling a really great (and much more costly) knife.
-David

still more knives than sharpening stones...
Soakedntorment

Post by Soakedntorment »

I’ve abused my endura pretty good and it’s still holding up
But I’ve passed that knife on to my wife. I am def looking at the manix I like the s30v steel and want to stay with that. I like spyderco and plan on staying with spyderco knives. Just not to happy about having the chip tip.
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

But I’ve passed that knife on to my wife. I am def looking at the manix I like the s30v steel and want to stay with that. I like spyderco and plan on staying with spyderco knives. Just not to happy about having the chip tip.
You let your knife rust despite it being pretty rust resistant. You have buggered up the blade more than once. You even say your knife use can be abusive.

Tools are what they are. You have had it long enough to know it may not be the right one for you. Get one that is. In the mean time if you want to "abuse " knives as you put it maybe save us the whining about the results of your efforts.

Joe
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I dropped an S30V Para2 tip first onto asphalt and lost maybe 1/16 of an inch of the tip. You must have hit something hard. My experience with many knives in S30V is that it is not brittle. Of course we do all use our knives differently. You may be better off with a different model with a more robust design.

How much of the tip did you loose? It can be fixed with a little effort. Can we see a pic?

Sorry the knife is causing you so much torment. :)
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
Soakedntorment

Post by Soakedntorment »

The Mastiff wrote:
You let your knife rust despite it being pretty rust resistant. You have buggered up the blade more than once. You even say your knife use can be abusive.

Tools are what they are. You have had it long enough to know it may not be the right one for you. Get one that is. In the mean time if you want to "abuse " knives as you put it maybe save us the whining about the results of your efforts.

Joe
Seems like this knife is hyped very well and I bought into it. By abusive you mean taking it out and chopping trees down like some videos on YouTube naw not me. I've mentioned before I baby this knife and the times I've had to use it cause I didn't have my utility knife to do so has let me down.My endura gave me 0 problems. So if I need to cut some rope or some veggies sure the pm2 would take that like a champ.
Soakedntorment

Post by Soakedntorment »

bearfacedkiller wrote:I dropped an S30V Para2 tip first onto asphalt and lost maybe 1/16 of an inch of the tip. You must have hit something hard. My experience with many knives in S30V is that it is not brittle. Of course we do all use our knives differently. You may be better off with a different model with a more robust design.

How much of the tip did you loose? It can be fixed with a little effort. Can we see a pic?

Sorry the knife is causing you so much torment. :)

About the same as yours, just enough to see that the tip is missing. I love the knife just don't have the confidence in it really anymore.
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

That's the problem with a oho knife clipped to your pocket, I've found: sometimes it's easier to reach than the correct tool! Some of my users are barely recognisable from their original profiles.