Yojimbo tip

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
fivesense

Yojimbo tip

Post by fivesense »

I've read reviews (and watched videos) that discuss the relative "weakness" of the Yojimbo 2 blade tip. I've also read some reviews that the Yojimbo 2 tip is strong.

What's the real world assessment?
Evil D

Re: Yojimbo tip

Post by Evil D »

Use it to cut things, not pry/dig/stab(unless people)/turn screws and it'll be fine.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
SG89

Post by SG89 »

Stronger than the Des Horn tip lol
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
Fred Sanford

Post by Fred Sanford »

Real world assessment is... don't believe all the stupid YouTube vids. People have opinions and some don't have any clue how to use a knife. All this hard use crap has to stop. Thin blades are fine. They are made to cut, not pry and dig with.

I use my knives to cut and I use thin blade knives and have for the last 12 years. ZERO breaks because I don't use my knife as some dumb tool that it's not. Spyderco Centofante 3 and 4, Delica 4 ZDP, Yojimbo 2, Yojimbo 1, Para 1, 2, Military....etc. All are fine.

Remember, there are people that don't use their knives, but they take them out of the box an do a "review" on them while holding them. Buy a knife and use it, see for yourself. I feel like about half of the people on YouTube review knives and have never used them....they have simply open and closed them.
"I'm calling YOU ugly, I could push your face in some dough and make gorilla cookies." - Fred Sanford
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

fivesense wrote:I've read reviews (and watched videos) that discuss the relative "weakness" of the Yojimbo 2 blade tip. I've also read some reviews that the Yojimbo 2 tip is strong.

What's the real world assessment?
It's definitely thin. Here are some Pics. I wouldn't mind a FFG with a little beefier tip. But it's not made of glass, as long as you don't try to pry anything with it, it should hold up.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
fivesense

Post by fivesense »

David Lowry wrote:Real world assessment is... don't believe all the stupid YouTube vids. People have opinions and some don't have any clue how to use a knife. All this hard use crap has to stop. Thin blades are fine. They are made to cut, not pry and dig with.

I use my knives to cut and I use thin blade knives and have for the last 12 years. ZERO breaks because I don't use my knife as some dumb tool that it's not. Spyderco Centofante 3 and 4, Delica 4 ZDP, Yojimbo 2, Yojimbo 1, Para 1, 2, Military....etc. All are fine.

Remember, there are people that don't use their knives, but they take them out of the box an do a "review" on them while holding them. Buy a knife and use it, see for yourself. I feel like about half of the people on YouTube review knives and have never used them....they have simply open and closed them.
Well said. I committed myself awhile ago to actually using my tools- trying them out, sharpening them, getting them "dirty." It's the only way I can truly assess how a blade fits my needs. I have no safe queens, but I do use them for the tasks and applications for which they are intended.
fivesense

Post by fivesense »

Thank you for all the replies and pictures- very helpful.

I think for most of what I use my Military or PM2 on a daily basis, the Yojimbo will be more than adequate, with a slight advantage in the EDC (last resort) self-defense category. I admit that I'm also interested in learning the characteristics of a Wharncliffe blade. I know I like S30V (I've also enjoyed learning S110V on my Blurple PM2).

Is there a comparable Wharncliffe out there that rivals the Yojimbo 2, but with a thicker blade tip that would allow for more aggressive penetration into a plastic drum for example? Just curious as I rarely stab plastic drums and if I do it's with a knife better suited in general, or in the cost neighborhood of one of my Moras.
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

Shaped like the Yojimbo? Not that I'm aware of. Shaped in the more "hawkbill" esque rounded wharnclife there are a couple. I'm hoping the P'Kal is such a knife actually. There's also the Emerson PSARK.

I'm hoping for a FFG Yojimbo Sprint. *With No Tapering towards the tip!
Last edited by ZrowsN1s on Fri Jul 14, 2017 1:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
Mr Blonde

Post by Mr Blonde »

fivesense wrote:
David Lowry wrote:Real world assessment is... don't believe all the stupid YouTube vids. People have opinions and some don't have any clue how to use a knife. All this hard use crap has to stop. Thin blades are fine. They are made to cut, not pry and dig with.

Well said. I committed myself awhile ago to actually using my tools- trying them out, sharpening them, getting them "dirty." It's the only way I can truly assess how a blade fits my needs. I have no safe queens, but I do use them for the tasks and applications for which they are intended.
Absolutely, well said! Use your knives, it'll teach you so much more about them than just looking at them. In that same sense, I don't understand all the hullabaloo about 'absolutely having to take apart your knife to clean it'. Yes, I've done it myself in the past to switch handles etc... but I just stopped doing it, you can easily do more damage than good if you don't know what you're doing. For my regular suburban EDC use, I really don't see the need to take the entire knife apart to clean it. Just dunk it under the faucet with soap and a brush and it's clean. Dry the knife and you'll be fine, the knife won't disintegrate if you use or clean it.
My Spyderco Pics & Reviews: www.spydercollector.com
Last website update: 4-01-2024 Instagram
toomzz

Post by toomzz »

I fully agree on this, especially those lines about 'non-using-showcase-review-knife-owners' :rolleyes:
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

They might not use them but they have taken them out of the box, disassembled them, reassembled them, done a review based on that, put them back in the box and then sold them so they can buy the next one to review. :rolleyes:

99% of youtube knife "reviews" are first impression/unboxing videos, not reviews.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
mb1

Post by mb1 »

Interesting. That Yo2 tip looks more substantial than my delightfully thin Stretch 2 (on the left):

- Mark

"Don't believe everything you think." -anonymous wise man
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

mb1 wrote:Interesting. That Yo2 tip looks more substantial than my delightfully thin Stretch 2 (on the left):

Compared to a lot of knives it isn't any thinner, but the amount of steel from edge to spine around the tip is usually less and that's where the issue is. I think it's safe to say anything that will chip the tip of a Yojimbo will also likely chip the tip of other knives, such as dropping them on tile or concrete. The two regrinds I've been using are far thinner than anything I've seen from the factory and so far I've had no issues.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
mb1

Post by mb1 »

Evil D wrote:Compared to a lot of knives it isn't any thinner, but the amount of steel from edge to spine around the tip is usually less and that's where the issue is.
Yes, I thought the same. The Stretch has some meat protecting that nice thin taper.
- Mark

"Don't believe everything you think." -anonymous wise man
mad german

Post by mad german »

Boom! You took the words right out of my mouth. I really don't like the term 'hard use' since it so varied from one user to another. Knives are made to cut. Pry bars are made to pry. Screwdrivers are made to tighten/loosen screws. Axes/hatchets are made to chop/cut wood. You can 'what if' yourself to death by thinking of all possible scenarios you might be in where you 'need' your knife. If someone truly is in a life/death situation, and they break the tip off their PM2, so be it. But we aren't in those situations...ever. (Unless you're serving in the Armed Forces)

Like David says, just use them to cut and stop this obsession over strong/weak tips, hard use, etc. If you get a knife that you never warm up to, then sell it. As long as it's a decent knife, it'll sell. And you'll have experienced what it's like to use that particular blade.

One more thing...these youtube reviewers are nothing more than a video regurgitation of the manufacturer's specs. Even the good ones, like Nick Shabazz, are just giving you a brief look at the knife, how it fits in his hands, how easy/difficult it is to open/close, what the workmanship is like, etc. But they are just his OPINIONS. BTW, I really like Nick's reviews and have made some purchases based on his reviews.

To sum it up, buy what excites YOU. Buy what YOU like. Use the knife to CUT things.
My collection is ever changing!
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

I have a Ken Coats custom jackknife in my pocket with a tip that makes that Yojimbo look like a battleaxe. Anyone who thinks a Spyderco has a thin tip doesn't know what thin is.
mad german

Post by mad german »

yablanowitz wrote:I have a Ken Coats custom jackknife in my pocket with a tip that makes that Yojimbo look like a battleaxe. Anyone who thinks a Spyderco has a thin tip doesn't know what thin is.
Sounds cool. Got any pics?
My collection is ever changing!
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Spydergirl88 wrote:Stronger than the Des Horn tip lol

Hey thanks Spydergirl because that's the first I've heard of the Des Horn model having a weak blade tip :( The only reason I never got a Des Horn model was because of the blade steel they used ( S30V) which is not one of my favorites. Funny too because I believe that's the blade steel they've used in both the YOJIMBO models.

I've never owned a YOJIMBO 2 but I did own two of the original YOJIMBO models and I never had either one of those tips ever break on me and the first one I had was used a lot and used hard sometimes too :confused: .

I would love to have a YOJIMBO 2 if it was available in S90V or M390>>so there is a Sprint Run idea :)
SG89

Post by SG89 »

JD Spydo wrote:
Spydergirl88 wrote:Stronger than the Des Horn tip lol

Hey thanks Spydergirl because that's the first I've heard of the Des Horn model having a weak blade tip :( The only reason I never got a Des Horn model was because of the blade steel they used ( S30V) which is not one of my favorites. Funny too because I believe that's the blade steel they've used in both the YOJIMBO models.

I've never owned a YOJIMBO 2 but I did own two of the original YOJIMBO models and I never had either one of those tips ever break on me and the first one I had was used a lot and used hard sometimes too :confused: .

I would love to have a YOJIMBO 2 if it was available in S90V or M390>>so there is a Sprint Run idea :)
It was mostly a joke. The tip is so small you could probably do surgery with it... Like an xacto hobby blade. I loved the Des Horn... That thing opened mail like a dream. I love my Yo2. They did make a Yo2 sprint in s90v...
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
Bugs

Post by Bugs »

I always was under the impression that the Yojimbo was designed as a self defense knife and not so much as a daily user knife for cutting.
Playing in SW FL Back Country with Tarpon, Snook & Reds.