Wegner love. What do you use yours for most?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
scout

Wegner love. What do you use yours for most?

Post by scout »

I'm good on my Wenger collection, but there are some on the bay if anyone is looking. It is one of my favorite designs and I use mine for Navy shipboard related chores. With the strong tip and high hollow grind it can assume many roles! Oh, and I flame oxidized the clip on the stove.
IMG_0260.JPG
Jazz

Re: Wegner love. What do you use yours for most?

Post by Jazz »

It is a great design. I wish they remade it in a back lock. I rarely use mine because the liner lock is almost all the way across.
- best wishes, Jazz.
RLR

Post by RLR »

Jazz wrote:It is a great design. I wish they remade it in a back lock. I rarely use mine because the liner lock is almost all the way across.
Totally agree. I loved mine but it was (as is) the only knife I wore out. Liner went all the way over and blade developed play.

New with backlock would be great (like the Ocelot without paw prints and a better overall shape).
scout

Post by scout »

Mine has about 95% lock up. I could push it over to the other scale, but no blade play. The later versions had a radiused lock. I would love to see a lightweight version with standoffs and a more modern steel.
vivi

Post by vivi »

They also looked extremely ergonomic.
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

Vivi wrote:They also looked extremely ergonomic.
They feel really nice in all grips. No hot spots.
- best wishes, Jazz.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

I always loved both of the Wegner models. My nephew really fell in love with the Wegner Jr. model so I gave him one of them. I've even owned one of the BladeTech models made by Tim Wegner himself but I actually liked the original ATS-34 steel Spyderco model better than I do the S30V that Wegner used in his BladeTech models.

The Wegner model is what you could easily call a "hunter-folder". Because it is a superb folding hunting knife. I'm sort of surprised that it was never considered for a Sprint Run but I did hear at one time that Tim Wegner owned the design and if that's true that might explain why.
benben

Post by benben »

I have a Jr. that I bought new, love that knife! I lost that knife for 4 months in 2011, I was sick! It's no coincidence that I joined here in 2011, I knew nothing about this forum or Spyderco knives for that matter even though a owned that Wegner and a Cricket. I just thought I'd order me another Wegner Jr. and move on...........then I found out it's DISCONTINUED!! What?? They don't discontinue knives, just 1969 Camaro Z28 parts!!

Then I was really sick! That lost Wegner has forced me to buy 25/30 Spyderco's since I joined here in 2011. But I finally found my Jr, it was in the vent under the driver seat that blows heat & AC to the rear passenger in my Camry. I was dancing & yelling in my garage the day I found it, my wife called me an idiot! I said that day I'd never carry it again, now that I know Spyderco discontinued knives lol. I still get my hands on it once a week or so just so I can hear that "thwack" when it locks up! I would definitely buy an updated version.
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

It's a really sweet design indeed. Mine fortunately has a firm and early lockup. I don't carry it as often anymore due to fear of losing it, though. The Wegner Mouse is another excellent design.
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
pete bogman

Post by pete bogman »

Would the Ocelot be the back lock version of the Wegner but with the funky paw print scales and VG-10?
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

pete bogman wrote:Would the Ocelot be the back lock version of the Wegner but with the funky paw print scales and VG-10?
I would love to see the return of the OCELOT model which indeed was also one of Tim Wegner's great designs>> and arguably the best of all the collaborations he did with Spyderco. If they would do a Sprint Run of the OCELOT minus the "paw prints" I would be all over that model again. It would also be great to do a Sprint Run in another blade steel especially being it is primarily an outdoor knife. I've also often wondered what a full Spyderedged version would be like as well.
Reject

Post by Reject »

Sorry; not get used much, :o part of the collection.

How much can a Koala bear?
Reject

Post by Reject »

:( Double tap.
Last edited by Reject on Sat Jul 15, 2017 5:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reject

Post by Reject »

That's it, I'm giving up IPSC. :( My trigger control has turned to crap.
Joris Mo

Post by Joris Mo »

Would love this back with backlock, not necessarily the dogpaws though..