Maxamet toughness

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
jpm2

Maxamet toughness

Post by jpm2 »

I don't think there's any question about edge retention, but what about toughness? How many have tested their edges to failure?

A while back I did this,

which resulted in this.

A little disappointed it was so severe... but

Got it all sharpened out and weeks later (last night) repeated the can opening. To my pleasant surprise, zero damage. I'm now very pleased.
I'll slightly reduce the edge angle and do it again next chance I get.

Thoughts?
Last edited by jpm2 on Sat Jul 08, 2017 6:34 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Evil D

Re: Maxamet toughness

Post by Evil D »

Was it the factory edge the first time you opened the can, and did you change the edge/bevel angle when you repaired the damage?
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
jpm2

Post by jpm2 »

It had been sharpened many times the 1st time. Can't say for sure the edge angle, I sharpen freehand, but occasionally gage with 15 degree wedges. I'd say it was close to 30 inclusive. There's a possibility I sharpened the damage out at a more obtuse angle.
jpm2

Post by jpm2 »

After thinking about all those sharpenings before the 1st can, most of them were just touch ups when the edge lost its crispness. A lot of it was reducing the shoulders and angle. It's probably fair to say the apex wasn't reduced much till after I removed the damage.
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

I think that's fairly impressive. :cool:

The blade towards the tip looks relatively unscathed and the damage appears to be where the blade was subjected to the most lateral pressure.

Thanks for sharing. :)
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
jpm2

Post by jpm2 »

I believe that is 100% correct Mr. Bloke.

Something else I thought of. On the 2nd time, the edge might have been slightly more refined.
Mic1

Post by Mic1 »

Find the post I did about Maxamet testing I chopped a brass rod in half as well as beat it into concrete.
tripscheck'em

Post by tripscheck'em »

jpm2 wrote:I don't think there's any question about edge retention, but what about toughness? How many have tested their edges to failure?

A while back I did this,

which resulted in this.

A little disappointed it was so severe... but

Got it all sharpened out and weeks later (last night) repeated the can opening. To my pleasant surprise, zero damage. I'm now very pleased.
I'll slightly reduce the edge angle and do it again next chance I get.

Thoughts?

Not at all surprised; Maxamet is not only an extremely high and exotic carbide steel, but I think it's being run in the high 60's RC range. I would be worried if it had not chipped.

I wouldn't lower the edge angle if I were you.
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

That's why you need plain Jane vanilla super steel, VG 10...

https://youtu.be/xXQvF3A3FE4
- best wishes, Jazz.
DougC-3

Post by DougC-3 »

Jazz wrote:That's why you need plain Jane vanilla super steel, VG 10...
Great test Jazz. VG-10 has been one of my favorite steels from the word go. Some of my favorite knives have it: original D'Allaras, Superleaf, Nishijin R and Cricket, CF Balance, Enduras such as the BayouShooter and foliage G-10, Delicas such as Ti Damascus & G-10 foliage, Q-Ball, Ouroboros, foliage Urban and Dragonfly; Kiwi 4, Rescue 3 and so on. It's always been adequate for my purposes, sharpens easily, holds it's edge well. I still like to play around other steels of course, but there's nothing wrong with VG-10. Personally, I favor it a little over S30V, but maybe that's just me.

Not to derail the thread, I might mention that I've managed to get the Maxamet Native and Manix and am really looking forward to putting them to the test but haven't got around to using them much yet. Also, I don't really plan to do anything much that I wouldn't do with my more "normal" knives. Mainly trying to find out how best to sharpen and profile them to take advantage of their special properties.
K-390 on hand: Mule Team 17, Police 4 G-10, Endela (burlap micarta), Endela backup, Endura (canvas micarta), Straight Stretch (now blade-swapped with G-10 Stretch), Delica Wharncliffe, Dragonfly Wharncliffe, & Dragonfly Wharncliffe shorty mod
Note to self: Less is more.
jpm2

Post by jpm2 »

tripscheck'em wrote:Not at all surprised; Maxamet is not only an extremely high and exotic carbide steel, but I think it's being run in the high 60's RC range. I would be worried if it had not chipped.
I wouldn't lower the edge angle if I were you.
You're surprised it did or didn't chip? Are you worried it didn't chip the 2nd time?

I sharpened back to about 30 inclusive, started to open a small can of rotel tomatoes, heard a pop and stopped. Had a chip, so I quit.
I'm guessing the angle was about 35 the 2nd time, maybe that's why it came out unscathed.

I've done the same thing with a delica vg10 and it mangled the edge badly.
I'll try what jazz posted but since there's no lateral forces involved, I expect no damage or dulling. I think even low end steels can accomplish that.
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

I guess it would be a different story with twisting involved.
- best wishes, Jazz.
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

Can I recommend a proper can opener?
Mic1

Post by Mic1 »

//forum.spyderco.com/viewto ... abuse+test

Pretty darn tough in my book.
3rdGenRigger

Post by 3rdGenRigger »

I've been pleasantly surprised with the toughness of Maxamet (I wasn't expecting much from a high carbide steel in the ~70 Hrc range regarding toughness). I recently was cutting some heavy duty zip ties and when the knife broke through them it slapped edge first against a fence chain...this happened 3 times. There was no rolling of the edge, no dulling, and no chipping whatsoever. I'm very pleasantly surprised, though I should say that the corrosion resistance of Maxamet is quite low. It also sharpens a lot more easily than I would have expected (Or even believed possible) for a high carbide steel in the ~70 range.
All Glory To The Hypno-Toad

---> Branden
DougC-3

Post by DougC-3 »

twinboysdad wrote:Can I recommend a proper can opener?
One of those Aussie FREDs would leave plenty of pocket space for knives.

https://www.google.com/search?q=fred+ca ... FrPTCXfltM:
K-390 on hand: Mule Team 17, Police 4 G-10, Endela (burlap micarta), Endela backup, Endura (canvas micarta), Straight Stretch (now blade-swapped with G-10 Stretch), Delica Wharncliffe, Dragonfly Wharncliffe, & Dragonfly Wharncliffe shorty mod
Note to self: Less is more.
Spider bite

Post by Spider bite »

Mic1 wrote://forum.spyderco.com/viewto ... abuse+test

Pretty darn tough in my book.
Wow... cant believe it still cut cardboard after that!
Mic1

Post by Mic1 »

I will say Maxamet would be greatly improved with a dlc coating. I have had some very fine almost surface rust pitting and stains. I use silicone spray as a protective coating / lubricant. Most of it has come off with flitz cream. The worst was last week we hit 90+ and I was building a deck the sweat really left some surface rust pitting. But I was really really sweating you could have rung out my clothing.
tripscheck'em

Post by tripscheck'em »

jpm2 wrote: You're surprised it did or didn't chip? Are you worried it didn't chip the 2nd time?

I sharpened back to about 30 inclusive, started to open a small can of rotel tomatoes, heard a pop and stopped. Had a chip, so I quit.
I'm guessing the angle was about 35 the 2nd time, maybe that's why it came out unscathed.

I've done the same thing with a delica vg10 and it mangled the edge badly.
I'll try what jazz posted but since there's no lateral forces involved, I expect no damage or dulling. I think even low end steels can accomplish that.
I mean I would expect it to chip like that. The 2nd time? Maybe your stab was of on a different angle. I guess the scientific thing to do would be to stab it about 10 or 20 times to get an average.
Mic1

Post by Mic1 »

I also find knives seem to get better after a few sharpenings. I think the edge becomes more stable and the true heat treat comes out. Just my opinion / personal observation.