question for the junkies regarding zdp189

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
greencobra

question for the junkies regarding zdp189

Post by greencobra »

my unused caly 3.5's blade keeps getting a haze on it. this haze will wipe off and the blade becomes bright again but it will come back with time. i have no experience with zdp189 and wonder if this is a characteristic of the steel. humidity has been high in the northeast and i'm wondering if this has something to do with it. the rest of the knives don't show this, vg10, s30v, and hap40. just curious is all, not really a big deal.
Evil D

Re: question for the junkies regarding zdp189

Post by Evil D »

Is the haze on the 420J2 part or on the ZDP part? ZDP is technically a stainless steel but probably among the lowest resistant stainless steels out there. As such it's definitely susceptible to rust and possibly patina. How easily does it wipe off? Are you using polish to get rid of it?
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
greencobra

Post by greencobra »

Evil D wrote:Is the haze on the 420J2 part or on the ZDP part? ZDP is technically a stainless steel but probably among the lowest resistant stainless steels out there. As such it's definitely susceptible to rust and possibly patina. How easily does it wipe off? Are you using polish to get rid of it?
this haze basically covers the entire blade. no, no polish. wipes off quite easily, i use a soft cloth.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Not sure what that could be then since it doesn't seem to be related to a specific steel type, since there's a very corrosion resistant steel and a lesser resistant steel present in the same blade. You may try adding one of those silica packets in with your knife (assuming you store them in the box).
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
greencobra

Post by greencobra »

Evil D wrote:Not sure what that could be then since it doesn't seem to be related to a specific steel type, since there's a very corrosion resistant steel and a lesser resistant steel present in the same blade. You may try adding one of those silica packets in with your knife (assuming you store them in the box).
worth a try. thanks.
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

That's really strange!

It's hot and humid here for the most part but I've not had anything like that happening to any knives and ZDP has had zero corrosion issues.

Other than to suggest a light film of oil on the blade, I'm stumped. :confused:
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
mrtodd777

Post by mrtodd777 »

My caly 3.5 will tend to look like that after a while but it seems to be only dust, or oil from your fingers. One thing about those calys is that they have almost a mirror finish. More so than most spydies I ve seen. So everything shows, but like you said, wipes off easily.
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

My Caly 3.5 ZDP seems to get more smudges on the blade than my other knives but I think I just notice them more on this particular knife because the 420J2 has a fairly fine finish. Also, because of the handle and blade shape there's a little more blade exposed when the knife is closed compared to the other models I have. So I tend to touch the blade more when I'm handling it when closed. At first I thought I had a problem similar to what the OP describes but the blade would remain smudge free after wiping it down and putting it away for a few days. So it's obviously from me handling the knife.
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
greencobra

Post by greencobra »

yeah, definitely not fingerprints or dust. this "haze" reminds me sorta of when someone puts their eyeglasses up to their mouth and breathes on the lenses before cleaning them. does that analogy make sense? but only it doesn't seem like moisture. anyway stored in the box inside the plastic sleeve. next time i check it i'm going to not put it in the sleeve and see what happens.
vivi

Post by vivi »

I think leaving it out of the sleeve could help. They certainly trap moisture.

I've never seen anything like that with ZDP189. It does rust a little more easily than most stainless steels, but I'd usually see small surface rust that'd wipe off quickly, not a haze or patina.
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

Mine all get a slight haze/patina, which I think looks great.
- best wishes, Jazz.
jdw

Post by jdw »

Odd timing but I found a zdp delica yesterday that I had lost in a flower bed earlier this spring and it didn't have a spot of corrosion or patina and after a quick wipe down was as good as ever.
Do right always. It will give you satisfaction in life.
--Wovoka