ELmax?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
awa54

Re: ELmax?

Post by awa54 »

Donut wrote:
Doc Dan wrote:
Spydergirl88 wrote:
Doc Dan wrote:I would love to see more Elmax, but I do think cost is an issue. As SG88 said, a lw Manix or Native in this steel might do well. I would love to see an Urban LW in this steel, personally.
British blades forum urban lw Elmax was made. I had one it was awesome.
I know, and they refused to sell me one, so I refused to participate any longer on the forum.
That's interesting, I was able to pick up one of the K390 Pingos with no issues.
The Pingo was from Edge Matters, not British Blades.
I got my BB Elmax Urban used, so I didn't have to deal with trans-Atlantic forum politics on that one ;)

On the subject of Elmax, I really like it so far, but only have the BB Urban, Ti Pingo and Ti Squeak, so can't comment on its properties in larger heavier duty blades.
-David

still more knives than sharpening stones...
Ippon

Post by Ippon »

awa54 wrote: On the subject of Elmax, I really like it so far, but only have the BB Urban, Ti Pingo and Ti Squeak, so can't comment on its properties in larger heavier duty blades.
That's where I think it fits in, I have a fixed blade in Elmax, and that thing takes a beating and a half, and stays significantly sharper, longer. I love the steel.
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

Doc Dan wrote:
Donut wrote:
Doc Dan wrote:
Spydergirl88 wrote:
Doc Dan wrote:I would love to see more Elmax, but I do think cost is an issue. As SG88 said, a lw Manix or Native in this steel might do well. I would love to see an Urban LW in this steel, personally.
British blades forum urban lw Elmax was made. I had one it was awesome.
I know, and they refused to sell me one, so I refused to participate any longer on the forum.
That's interesting, I was able to pick up one of the K390 Pingos with no issues.
Yeah, some people did get them. However, I got a nasty sounding note from that guy saying he would under no circumstances sell any more of the knives out of his country. I appealed, and got a blunt no. That is too bad, too. I would have loved to have that knife. Right knife, right steel, right color.
Is British Blades the same as Edge Matters?
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

TomAiello wrote:Is British Blades the same as Edge Matters?
No, they're two different forums.
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
Airlsee

Post by Airlsee »

I would love to see more Elmax from Spyderco, it is definitely one of my favorite stainless steels. I find it to be a fantastic combination of corrosion resistance, toughness & edge retention while being able to hold a screaming sharp edge.

More Elmax Please!!
So it goes.
bh49

Post by bh49 »

Few years ago one well known steelnut said that Elmax is what S30V supposed to be, so I will be very interested to try. N5 LW looks like a great platform for Elmax and sprint :)
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

I agree. That would make a great combo. (besides, Elmax is simply a cool name for a steel, like Maxamet is)
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
JimP

Post by JimP »

For the way I sharpen these days, I get the most satisfying performance from Elmax and XHP, so I'd be happy for more!
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

I'd bite on a LW - love to try Spyderco's Elmax. All of my Elmax experience has been from ZT. The two knives that have the most use are my beater 0560 and 0801. At this point I've reprofiled both and touch ups on the Sharpmaker are consistently easy. That said, I'm not sure I like it more than some of the other steel options already available. Patiently waiting for the Maxamet PM2!
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

I'd love to see an Elmax Urban or UKPK.

But heck, I'd probably try an Elmax native or Manix 2 LW.

I have both the Elmax Pingo and Squeak, but I'd like to see something with an FRN handle.
TheArchitect

Post by TheArchitect »

I would have to agree with many here in a positive light for Elmax. My primary Elmax steel knife is the Lionspy (The Big One) and it performs amazingly. I have found it to be also highly corrosive resistant. I would be great to see it more offerings.
25 :spyder:'s and counting
awa54

Post by awa54 »

bh49 wrote:Few years ago one well known steelnut said that Elmax is what S30V supposed to be, so I will be very interested to try. N5 LW looks like a great platform for Elmax and sprint :)
Ooh! Foliage green FRN and Elmax, 100% chance I'd buy that!
Last edited by awa54 on Wed Jul 12, 2017 7:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-David

still more knives than sharpening stones...
Slumblor

Post by Slumblor »

I would be very interested in something in Elmax. UKPK, Manix2 lw, or Native 5 lw would all work for me. I've never had anything in Elmax and would love to try it
Ippon

Post by Ippon »

awa54 wrote:
bh49 wrote:Few years ago one well known steelnut said that Elmax is what S30V supposed to be, so I will be very interested to try. N5 LW looks like a great platform for Elmax and sprint :)
This in the Manix 2 platform would be great! Not that a Native wouldn't be awesome as well, but I'd prefer something just a tad bigger.
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

How about a Military in this steel? Any interest?
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

The Meat man wrote:
Sat Apr 28, 2018 8:48 am
How about a Military in this steel? Any interest?
I'd rather have Elmax in the Shaman, but I'll get in line for an Elmax Military right now.
-Marc (pocketing an S110V Native5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
elena86

Post by elena86 »

It’s the only stainless steel that sharpens and behaves like a carbon steel from my experience. Native or Pingo aside I would buy any spydie in Elmax. I would probably have to sell a kidney to get a Millie in Elmax. I hope and pray for a PM2 rerun or a Para3 sprint or even exclusive. I was idiot enough not to get an exclusive BBS PM2 :(
Marius

" A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it "
( Rabindranath Tagore )

Proud member of the old school spyderedge nation :bug-white-red
ugaarguy

Post by ugaarguy »

I'd buy a Shaman, Native 5 G10 or FRN, or a Para 3 in Elmax. I'm not sure how I'd afford a Shaman in Elmax right now, but I'd find a way.
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

There doesn't seem to be a lot of options with Elmax. Is this due mainly to cost? Anyone have a rough guess as to what an Elmax Military would even cost?
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

Ippon wrote:
Wed Jul 12, 2017 9:17 pm
awa54 wrote:
This in the Manix 2 platform would be great! Not that a Native wouldn't be awesome as well, but I'd prefer something just a tad bigger.

I hope we see some Elmax in 2019! As people said, the Military, Para 3, Native LW, and Manix LW all sound great! One of the few steels left I really want to try out.
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red