New Models Dropped: Alcyone, DF2 Zome, Salt 2 Black (PICS)

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
dplafoll

New Models Dropped: Alcyone, DF2 Zome, Salt 2 Black (PICS)

Post by dplafoll »

As always, thanks to Mark's Outdoors for the privilege of photographing their knives.

Album link: https://www.flickr.com/gp/57770516@N06/F70rxB

ImageUntitled by dplafoll, on Flickr

Alcyone:
I really like this one. I like the Polestar, but I prefer this size, and I think it's a better value at this size and price. Ergos are good, action is good, it's still CTS-BD1 like the Polestar, on PB washers like the PS. One thing different is that the Alcyone does not have a sharpening choil, which was one feature I liked on the PS. But it's not a deal breaker. I handled the Alcyone at Blade, and I liked it there, and this one hasn't changed my mind.
One note: the handle does, like the Polestar, exhibit some spots where this new G10 is peeling between layers around the various fasteners and screw holes. I personally don't care; it's a value folder, it would certainly be a user, and I think the appeal of the design outweighs a couple of small blemishes that aren't that noticeable in the first place.

Dragonfly 2 Zome:
I won't get into how much I love the Dragonfly. Suffice it to say, this one isn't any different. The FRN feels different from the previous models I've had; it feels almost harder or stiffer, perhaps as a result of the dyeing process. The coloring on this example is more of a brown with some green in it compared to the D4 and E4 Zome examples I've seen, which were more green. I didn't really notice that much difference until I put the D2 next to the E4 (see pics). It's not a bad thing, per se, but if you're going for a matching set, this may concern you.

Salt 2 Black, PE and SE
The blacked-out Salt 2 is here. The finish on the blades is very nice, as is the rest of the knife.

Patrick LaFollette
Current: Dragonfly 2 ZDP-189, Chaparral 1, Techno 1, Delica 4 HAP-40, Dragonfly 2 HAP-40, Mantra 1, Ladybug Salt Hawkbill, Nirvana CPM, Endura 4 HAP-40, Sage 4, Para Military 2 CPM Cru-Wear, Sage 5, Caly3 HAP40, Sliverax, Lil' Nilakka, Chaparral Raffir Noble, Zulu, Manbug HAP40, Meerkat HAP40, Sage 1/Sage 2/Sage 3 CF, Introvert, Techno 2
SG89

Re: New Models Dropped: Alcyone, DF2 Zome, Salt 2 Black (PICS)

Post by SG89 »

Thanks for the pics. I'm going to get that Zome DF2 for my dad it will be his first spyderco :eek: :spyder:
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
dplafoll

Post by dplafoll »

Spydergirl88 wrote:Thanks for the pics. I'm going to get that Zome DF2 for my dad it will be his first spyderco :eek: :spyder:
That's a really great choice. :)
Patrick LaFollette
Current: Dragonfly 2 ZDP-189, Chaparral 1, Techno 1, Delica 4 HAP-40, Dragonfly 2 HAP-40, Mantra 1, Ladybug Salt Hawkbill, Nirvana CPM, Endura 4 HAP-40, Sage 4, Para Military 2 CPM Cru-Wear, Sage 5, Caly3 HAP40, Sliverax, Lil' Nilakka, Chaparral Raffir Noble, Zulu, Manbug HAP40, Meerkat HAP40, Sage 1/Sage 2/Sage 3 CF, Introvert, Techno 2
blueblur

Post by blueblur »

Thanks for posting the pics.

I wish they would get rid of the hump on the salts, especially those with the black blades.
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

Thanks Pat. If only the VG10 was something else on the DFly. Chris there at Mark's and I have the same meh for the VeeGe.
vivi

Post by vivi »

Those Salts look great.
Eli Chaps

Post by Eli Chaps »

Please oh please expand the Zome offerings into other combos!!!

(typed as I flick my Zome Delica)
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

I have got to have one of those Salts!
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

Was really thinking I'd rather have the Salt I over the Salt II, but now that I see the Salt II more, it's growing on me. I think I'd actually prefer it now. Will probably get a plain edge at some point.

I love how many different blade variations there are in the Delica "Bi-directional" handle now!

edit: volcano grip = Bi-directional grip
Last edited by Mushroom on Sat Jul 01, 2017 12:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-Nick :bug-red
SG89

Post by SG89 »

Mushroom wrote: I love how many different blade variations there are in the Delica "volcano grip" handle now!
What do you mean?
Spydergirl88
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

Spydergirl88 wrote:
Mushroom wrote: I love how many different blade variations there are in the Delica "volcano grip" handle now!
What do you mean?
There are flat, hollow and saber grinds now. Plain edges and serrated edges and even combo edges. There is a wharncliffe and there is also one with a wave feature. There was also a reverse S. Also now a hawkbill. There is also the Kahr version.

The Delica4 is getting lots of love!
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

Although the delica4 uses the bidirectional pattern, not the volcano. I think he just misspoke.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
SG89

Post by SG89 »

bearfacedkiller wrote:Although the delica4 uses the bidirectional pattern, not the volcano. I think he just misspoke.
Ok I was confused for a minute lol
Spydergirl88
Slumblor

Post by Slumblor »

I already bought the SE yellow/satin Salt 2, and am loving it, but those all black ones look pretty awesome
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

bearfacedkiller wrote:
Spydergirl88 wrote:
What do you mean?
There are flat, hollow and saber grinds now. Plain edges and serrated edges and even combo edges. There is a wharncliffe and there is also one with a wave feature. There was also a reverse S. Also now a hawkbill. There is also the Kahr version.

The Delica4 is getting lots of love!
Yep, thats exactly what I meant! So many options in, in terms of blade shape.

Also, that's totally my bad, I definitely meant to say "bi-directional handle." Thanks for the correction, Darby! :spyder:
-Nick :bug-red
bouhunter

Post by bouhunter »

The Alcyone is a nice looking knife but overpriced IMO.
dplafoll

Post by dplafoll »

bouhunter wrote:The Alcyone is a nice looking knife but overpriced IMO.
It's about $20 more than the Persistence, which is the nearest analogue in size (they're nearly identically sized). The difference is better steel, better quality (IMO), and what I think is better ergonomics. But, of course, YMMV. :)
Patrick LaFollette
sal

Post by sal »

bouhunter wrote:The Alcyone is a nice looking knife but overpriced IMO.
Hi Bouhunter,

I am always surprised when some expresses the opinion that something is "over priced". May I ask by what standard you use to come to that conclusion?

sal
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

I'm not Bouhunter, but with knives like the Kershaw Emerson series coming in under $20 it would seem the market is rapidly changing with quality rising and prices dropping. Maybe due to unfair trade practices I cannot answer. I can say I was surprised and saddened by the high quality and extremely low price I paid for the on Kershaw Emerson. Surprised the quality was so good and saddened that it might spell the end of the knife industry outside of China. JMO
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
Afterman

Post by Afterman »

Going by knifecenter, Tenacious, PM2 + 3 have full blackout, then Salt 2/Military have satin screws on the blackout models.

What factors into this decision? What's the design idea?

Just curious. :)