Question on Manix 2 Lock

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Robbob

Re: Question on Manix 2 Lock

Post by Robbob »

peacefuljeffrey wrote:I like the Manix 2, and my favorite personally owned knife is my Manix 2XL. Both have CBBLs, and I own both, but I would really love a switch to a plain Ball Bearing Lock for these knives. It would eliminate all worry about the potential for the polymer cage breaking. And come on, there is not a knife lock on earth that looks more high-speed than a big ol' steel ball bearing!

PLEASE HEAR MY PLEAS, SAL!
A Manix 2XL with a steel Ball Bearing Lock would be a superior thing!
:spyder: :o
The Manix 2 is available with CBBL or back lock, so offering the XL with a choice of lock only seems fitting, especially since the XL doesn't get the love its younger brother does.
Able Dog

Post by Able Dog »

Grappler wrote:I haven't had the chance to handle one in person yet. While I like everything I've seen and read about this knife the plastic piece that you use to close the lock appears to be flimsy and capable of breaking with a lot use. I'd appreciate to hear your experience if you have this knife.
The Manix 2 was my first higher-end Spyderco. I like it a lot, and has seen a lot of use over the years.

I've seen a few examples of broken cages. However, they only seem to break when people have taken the knife apart, and are reassembling them.

I've yet to see one that broke from use.

W.O.T.W. - Way of the Wharncliffe
Wanimator

Post by Wanimator »

The cage isn't getting much of any stress transferred to it. I'd advocate the XL in a powerlock.
peacefuljeffrey

Post by peacefuljeffrey »

My biggest question is, "What happens if/when the plastic cage breaks: Does the ball fall out?"

I want to know if the knife becomes disabled if it loses its cage.
RanCoWeAla

Post by RanCoWeAla »

I have read or heard that the plastic cage is two pieces of plastic glued together. Is that true?
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

RanCoWeAla wrote:I have read or heard that the plastic cage is two pieces of plastic glued together. Is that true?
1) I never could tell if it's two pieces or if it has a mold line in the center

2) Yes I have seen them broken

3) Spyderco are aware of this and have improved the cage over the years (and I don't think I've ever seen a broken black cage, only the older clear cage)

4) I've been carrying a Manix on and off for the last 4 years and I've used it harder than most people ever use their EDC and I've had zero issues.

I think most of this thread is little more than doomsayer nonsense. I understand people being cautious and concerned but there's more speculation going on here than fact (not just by the dude I'm quoting, I'm not singling you out). When the knife is locked the STEEL ball bearing is taking all of the load, not the cage. The only purpose the cage serves (apart from holding the ball) is making unlocking drastically easier. Otherwise the only force applied to the cage is from the spring that forces the ball into the tang, and it alone isn't strong enough to break the cage. Beyond all that, it's probably safe to say Spyderco will warranty all but obvious outright abuse on any broken cage.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
TheJim

Post by TheJim »

Sorry for the necro of an old thread but It seems to deal with the subject I wanted some answers on. So Im waiting on my order of the Manix 2 in SPY27 steel and then I see this which now have me a bit worried I must say. I already own the Manix 2 XL wich has a G10 handle and screws to open it up. This lightweight version that im waiting on however uses pins so theres no way to open it up to replace a broken cage or put in a new spring. So my question is what one does if one of these LW versions break?
Michael Janich

Post by Michael Janich »

Dear TheJim:

Welcome to the Spyderco Forum.

We recently announced that new production of the Manix 2 Lightweight will feature screw-together construction.

Stay safe,

Mike
olywa

Post by olywa »

Time for a titanium ball cage. I've never had a plastic ball cage break but I swap them out primarily because they are easier to grip. Much crisper feel.
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

Thread Necromancy! 😱

Welcome aboard TheJim. I have not heard many tales of broken cages over the years the M2 has been sold in its various models.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

I have 6 or 7 Manix 2s and I've never had any issues with any of them and the pinned LWs. Never felt the need to replace the spring either. Non-issue IMO
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
TheJim

Post by TheJim »

Thanks folks for the warm welcome and the replies. I managed to cancel my order of the old version and will wait on this new one to be released. Just gives me peace of mind to know ill be able to fix it if it ever breaks on me.
aaronkb

Post by aaronkb »

It isn’t flimsy at all, I have multiple Manixes (Manices?) and not one has ever broken. I’ve also disassembled them and used them pretty roughly.
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

i have been a big advocate of having the pins switched to screws. i think it's a switch that should be done because those pins are keeping the m2lw from being basically perfect.

that said, i've never had any real issue with my xhp version being pinned. it's perfectly solid. i did have a spot of rust develop that i was just barely able to reach, so i'd never buy a non-stainless lw. ironically, we're getting screws just in time for a m2lw salt, which is something else i've always wanted.

i wouldn't worry about the cage failing. i like my ti cage on my m390 manix, but i've never had a problem with the plastic cages. as far as i know (and it may have already been mentioned in this thread) the breakage problems were pretty much solved when spyderco transitioned from clear to black cages.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
Netherend

Post by Netherend »

I don’t even know what it would take to break a Manix cbbl. I have a g10 and a lightweight and I cannot even imagine breaking the cage. Sure you could probably break the whole knife if you try to spinewack it through a cinder block but I have no idea why one would do that with a folding knife.
Those locks are solid. It’s one of the most confidence inspiring locks I’ve used.

I have not taken my manixs apart and likely will not take them apart. I have put my manix 2s through a lot of tough cuts . I have used my g10 blade to shave logs for feather sticks several times .

I feel more secure using a cbbl than I do an axis lock or compression lock. My manix 2s have never had blade play … like at all. I have not had to tighten or loosen pivotes or replace screws in my manix 2s.

My fingers will probably break before the cages do.
Just one more knife...
Crox

Post by Crox »

Netherend wrote:
Wed Oct 19, 2022 4:51 pm
I don’t even know what it would take to break a Manix cbbl. I have a g10 and a lightweight and I cannot even imagine breaking the cage. Sure you could probably break the whole knife if you try to spinewack it through a cinder block but I have no idea why one would do that with a folding knife.
Those locks are solid. It’s one of the most confidence inspiring locks I’ve used.

I have not taken my manixs apart and likely will not take them apart. I have put my manix 2s through a lot of tough cuts . I have used my g10 blade to shave logs for feather sticks several times .

I feel more secure using a cbbl than I do an axis lock or compression lock. My manix 2s have never had blade play … like at all. I have not had to tighten or loosen pivotes or replace screws in my manix 2s.

My fingers will probably break before the cages do.
^ I’m with him. Most confidence inspiring lock (and knife) I’ve used.
TheJim

Post by TheJim »

I just feel better knowing that I can, if the need should arise. Be able to fix it I did not mean to offend or anything Im just new to the Manix 2 LW line can sleep abit better now that I know the version I need is on the way :)
RustyIron

Post by RustyIron »

Changed my mind about posting.
I'd click the delete button if I could find it.
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

Sharp Guy wrote:
Tue Oct 18, 2022 9:01 am
I have 6 or 7 Manix 2s and I've never had any issues with any of them and the pinned LWs. Never felt the need to replace the spring either. Non-issue IMO

I only have 2 pinned LW/FRCP Manixes but likewise, neither has given a hint of trouble. For backpacking use, might pinned actually be preferable? No unintended auto-disassembly in the field.

I like the idea of screw construction well enough for city use, but for the backcountry, pinned might be preferable.
Steel novice who self-identifies as a steel expert. Proud M.N.O.S.D. member 0003. Spydie Steels: 4V, 15V, 20CV, AEB-L, AUS6, Cru-Wear, HAP40, K294, K390, M4, Magnacut, S110V, S30V, S35VN, S45VN, SPY27, SRS13, T15, VG10, XHP, ZWear, ZDP189
apollo
Location: A place where idiots and corrupt people are called the government…

Post by apollo »

Never had any issues with my locks either. I do prefer the old lockback Manixes that older design is still 1000% better in my eyes. Easier to handle lock that is basically like a vault , thicker but evenly slicy blade , better weight the old ones are godly for me. On the bbl i do have 2 with a flytanium cage i can recommend them but the stock ones are more then good enough in my view. Here is a pic of a flytanium one.
But if you in any way have the bad luck or are able to break its lock on a Manix LW that is pinned construction then its game over for that knife…