My knife dilemma...

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
StuttgartMadness

Re: My knife dilemma...

Post by StuttgartMadness »

Bloke wrote:When I think Spyderco I think The Big Military. I can't imagine how anyone could build a similar production knife in a better package. I have a Camo S30V, 204P and S110V. I missed out on a few others I would have liked and I'll buy a Maxamet without hesitation.

I remember when I took the first one out of the box I nearly fell over and wondered what I was thinking buying such a big knife. That impression didn't last too long and I was pleasantly surprised as to how easily it carries and how useful the big blade is. :cool:

I value 'SuperSteels' cause I'm fairly idle and I suppose the perfect knife for me would be a knife that could cut anything and everything and never needed sharpening. Ah, hahaha!

As it goes I tend to favour the S30V for everyday use even though it's the older model with the black aluminium spacer and small lanyard hole. I like the camo scales and think they fit a knife called a Military just right plus I don't thing S30V gets the credit it deserves. ;)
It's hilarious, in any other knife company, something like S30V is the "Ultra Premium" option, with Spyderco, it's one of the base steels :D
Currently lusting after the PM2 in S110V... And the Para 3... And the Military... And pretty much everything else...

"A man without a knife, is a man without a life"
-Anonymous (This guy has some great quotes)
StuttgartMadness

LDB wrote:Deciding which knife to buy, the "scientific" method. You make a list of all the "suspects". Order doesn't matter. Number them 1-xx. Then you need enough dice from a Yahtzee game or similar to add up to that many, i.e. if the list is 6 or less 1 die and if there are 13 you need 3 dice. Let's say you have 10 suspects. You need 2 dice. Your first roll determines which part of the list is in play. If you roll an odd number you'll use 1 die and if you roll an even number you'll use both. That let's number 1 on the list have a chance sometimes. So you roll one die and whatever number comes up gets a tick mark. Do that every day while you save up your money until you save enough for the most expensive choice on the list. Then count the tick marks and that's the knife. If it's not the most expensive then you have the seed money for the next one already started.
Woah... That's some scientific deduction like no other!
Currently lusting after the PM2 in S110V... And the Para 3... And the Military... And pretty much everything else...

LDB

Post by LDB »

I'm told sometimes that I think too much. Got to have some kind of hobby though.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Sounds like the Dungeons and Dragons method to me :rolleyes:
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I always grab a Military over a Para2. Besides the lock I cannot think of any reason why I would carry a Para2 over a Military.

Also, I cannot think of a reason why I would pick the Para3 over the Delica. While the Para3 is a nice knife it is a chunky monkey compared to the lean and mean Delica.

I regularly carry a Military and Delica4 together and LOVE it! ;)
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
StuttgartMadness

Vivi wrote:I'd go with a DLC S30V Military.

Steel performs great, can't beat this option for corrosion resistance and ease of maintenance, looks sharp, readily available year round and never an issue finding them in the $150-175 range.

For me the benefits of S110V, Maxamet etc. isn't worth the trade offs. S30V is a classic work horse steel for a reason.

Pro tip: If you have a Cabelas near you, they carry the DLC S30V Military for around $260 I believe. They'll price match Wal-Marts $163 online price. That's how I bought my last Millie ;)
Thanks for the tip!

Joris Mo

Post by Joris Mo »

If you like a big folder, go for the Military and I must agree there's nothing wrong with the S30V versions..
Don't know wether you sharpen knives already (some people hardly use them enough to need to) but when you like to use a blade and don't sharpen them yet also save up for a Sharpmaker, very important part of my Spydie collection. ;)
StuttgartMadness

LDB wrote:I'm told sometimes that I think too much. Got to have some kind of hobby though.
I actually started doing that XD
It gives me something to do other than think about it forever LOL

StuttgartMadness

Squawk wrote:Step 1: Want all Spydercos
Step 2: Buy PM2 in S30V
Step 3: ???
Step 4: Profit!

Jokes aside, the PM2 in S30V is a great start. I love mine and it was the one that started it all. Supersteels are nice to have but S30V is just so **** good and balanced already. Maybe if you settle on the S30V PM2 you could also get a VG10 Delica with the money you saved.
How would buying a PM2 in S30V profit?