My knife dilemma...

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
StuttgartMadness

My knife dilemma...

Post by StuttgartMadness »

So I'll be buying one of the "Military" series in a few months (budgeting takes a while on a small income LOL) And I am conflicted on which to get...

I think the PM2 in S110V is my most probable choice, but the price is at the upper end of my spectrum, so I'm also looking at the Para 3 which will be availible in S110V soon. But there's also Maxamet version in the works, and the CPM Cru-Wear Sprint Run, and I'd bet a considerable sum that the next Blade HQ Exclusive with Spyderco will be a Para 3 in the (beautiful) natural G-10 and M4 steel... And I'm very sore at myself that I missed the PM2 version and the Military is out of my budget... Speaking of the Military, maybe I should splurge a bit more and get that in S110V? I'm used to carrying large knives so the Military would feel like it belonged there...

And a small wild card, I've been wanting to do a custom build Delica for a while. Starting out with the stainless damascus blade, and change out the handle for custom machined G-10 scales...

The real problem is... I WANT ALL OF THEM

(I have this conversation with myself at least 12 times a day)

Anyway, thanks for reading, please leave your thoughts!
Last edited by StuttgartMadness on Fri Jun 30, 2017 9:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Currently lusting after the PM2 in S110V... And the Para 3... And the Military... And pretty much everything else...

"A man without a knife, is a man without a life"
-Anonymous (This guy has some great quotes)
Ferris Wheels

Re: My knife dilemma...

Post by Ferris Wheels »

At the top of the General Discussion forum page is the 2018 Spyderco Calendar contest. The price for a winning entry is a Cruwear sprint Para 3. So with funds tight, I say give your your camera and current Spydies a workout and you might be able to earn yourself a sweet Para 3 from your efforts.
StuttgartMadness

Ferris Wheels wrote:At the top of the General Discussion forum page is the 2018 Spyderco Calendar contest. The price for a winning entry is a Cruwear sprint Para 3. So with funds tight, I say give your your camera and current Spydies a workout and you might be able to earn yourself a sweet Para 3 from your efforts.
Problem is...

I don't have any Spydies at the moment :,-(

I just recently got into Spyderco and this might actually be my first one...

I'm looking forward to the 2019 contest though LOL
Currently lusting after the PM2 in S110V... And the Para 3... And the Military... And pretty much everything else...

Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Eh, save up and get the Military. Consolidate hobbies, eat ramen for a few weeks. The price sucks but it's an amazing knife.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
StuttgartMadness

Evil D wrote:Eh, save up and get the Military. Consolidate hobbies, eat ramen for a few weeks. The price sucks but it's an amazing knife.
"It's alright mom, I lived off of Ramen for a month but look what I bought!"

Evil D

Post by Evil D »

StuttgartMadness wrote:
Evil D wrote:Eh, save up and get the Military. Consolidate hobbies, eat ramen for a few weeks. The price sucks but it's an amazing knife.

Malnutrition is temporary, a good knife can last a lifetime. ;)
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
StuttgartMadness

Evil D wrote:
StuttgartMadness wrote:

Malnutrition is temporary, a good knife can last a lifetime. ;)
I'll make sure and tell her that XD

thombrogan

Post by thombrogan »

Some new "best steel for folding knives EVER is sure to be just around the corner as a sprint run or company exclusive and many folks will be offloading their LNIB and NIB safequeens at a discount to get it. Patience is a cutlery-junky's second greatest asset (greatest being an inexhaustible supply of money and scads of unlimited time to check all the knife sites).
StuttgartMadness

thombrogan wrote:Some new "best steel for folding knives EVER is sure to be just around the corner as a sprint run or company exclusive and many folks will be offloading their LNIB and NIB safequeens at a discount to get it. Patience is a cutlery-junky's second greatest asset (greatest being an inexhaustible supply of money and scads of unlimited time to check all the knife sites).
The is, I have the unlimited time (almost) but virtually no money :(
And I have no patience either XD

archangel

Post by archangel »

If I were you I'd choose the PM3 in Cru-Wear. $126 plus shipping through KnifeCenter seems like a really good price.

The upcost of Maxamet seems quite high...

S110V will be around for a long time, no need to jump on it right away.

Just my two pence...
Michael
48 Spydies, 44 different models, 43 different steels
Grail knife, still to be acquired: original Tuff by Ed Schempp Feel free to help me find one at a reasonable price...
Slumblor

Post by Slumblor »

The PM2 is a good choice, I'd take it over a Para3 personally. And there is nothing wrong with the standard S30V version. If it's your first Spyderco and funds are tight, that's what I'd recommend. I carried my blacked out S30V PM2 today, still one of my favorites.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

I like the Paramilitary, but I like the Military even more. That gets my vote. There is nothing wrong with S30V, either, and it is cheaper. Most people will not be able to tell the difference between S30V and S110V in normal use. However, sharpening is a different story. S110V is a real bear to sharpen and S30V is easy.
On the other hand, there is that lovely blue on the scales of the S110V.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
jeff4air

Post by jeff4air »

PM2 in S30V was my first Spyderco. Still makes me smile and I would never sell it.
Own- PM2 S30V, Manix 2 CF Cruwear, Chap CF CTS-XHP, Sage 5 S30V, KW CF/Ti Military S90V, Caly 3.5 CF ZDP-189, KW Military CTS-204P, Delica 4 VG-10, Native 5 LW S110V, Para3 S90V CF Sprint, Native 5 Green G-10 S90V Sprint, PM2 CF M4 Sprint, Para 3 BBS M390, Para 3 Maxamet, Delica HAP 40 WC Jazz Sprint, Endura laminate Sprint Blue
Wishlist- Salt 2 SE H1
fivesense

Post by fivesense »

S30V is outstanding and there are great deals on the PM2 in S30V right now. You aren't short changing yourself if you pick up a PM2 not in S110V.
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

StuttgartMadness wrote:
thombrogan wrote:Some new "best steel for folding knives EVER is sure to be just around the corner as a sprint run or company exclusive and many folks will be offloading their LNIB and NIB safequeens at a discount to get it. Patience is a cutlery-junky's second greatest asset (greatest being an inexhaustible supply of money and scads of unlimited time to check all the knife sites).
The is, I have the unlimited time (almost) but virtually no money :(
And I have no patience either XD
No patience AND no money IS a bit of a problem ......

Honestly, thombrogan's advice is the best here. Your only other option is to look for users on the secondary market, and it's easy to "love the one you're with" with a Spydie.
Squawk

Post by Squawk »

Step 1: Want all Spydercos
Step 2: Buy PM2 in S30V
Step 3: ???
Step 4: Profit!

Jokes aside, the PM2 in S30V is a great start. I love mine and it was the one that started it all. Supersteels are nice to have but S30V is just so **** good and balanced already. Maybe if you settle on the S30V PM2 you could also get a VG10 Delica with the money you saved.
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

When I think Spyderco I think The Big Military. I can't imagine how anyone could build a similar production knife in a better package. I have a Camo S30V, 204P and S110V. I missed out on a few others I would have liked and I'll buy a Maxamet without hesitation.

I remember when I took the first one out of the box I nearly fell over and wondered what I was thinking buying such a big knife. That impression didn't last too long and I was pleasantly surprised as to how easily it carries and how useful the big blade is. :cool:

I value 'SuperSteels' cause I'm fairly idle and I suppose the perfect knife for me would be a knife that could cut anything and everything and never needed sharpening. Ah, hahaha!

As it goes I tend to favour the S30V for everyday use even though it's the older model with the black aluminium spacer and small lanyard hole. I like the camo scales and think they fit a knife called a Military just right plus I don't thing S30V gets the credit it deserves. ;)
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
LDB

Post by LDB »

Deciding which knife to buy, the "scientific" method. You make a list of all the "suspects". Order doesn't matter. Number them 1-xx. Then you need enough dice from a Yahtzee game or similar to add up to that many, i.e. if the list is 6 or less 1 die and if there are 13 you need 3 dice. Let's say you have 10 suspects. You need 2 dice. Your first roll determines which part of the list is in play. If you roll an odd number you'll use 1 die and if you roll an even number you'll use both. That let's number 1 on the list have a chance sometimes. So you roll one die and whatever number comes up gets a tick mark. Do that every day while you save up your money until you save enough for the most expensive choice on the list. Then count the tick marks and that's the knife. If it's not the most expensive then you have the seed money for the next one already started.
palonej

Post by palonej »

S30v Millie or PM2 would be an excellent place to start!! You will be scrificing nothing with either!!
I favor camo with black blades......just so **** sexy!!
That's where I started and now have 4 Millies and 5 PM2s. The knives carry beautifully, slice like very angry demons, sharpen up without much effort and both are amazing fondlers!!
Good luck and let the class know what you decide!!
Joe

No pics in this thread?? Blasphemy!!! One of my fave Millies.....Cruwear with A Putman scales! Amazing in hand!
Attachments
IMG_2604.JPG
vivi

Post by vivi »

I'd go with a DLC S30V Military.

Steel performs great, can't beat this option for corrosion resistance and ease of maintenance, looks sharp, readily available year round and never an issue finding them in the $150-175 range.

For me the benefits of S110V, Maxamet etc. isn't worth the trade offs. S30V is a classic work horse steel for a reason.

Pro tip: If you have a Cabelas near you, they carry the DLC S30V Military for around $260 I believe. They'll price match Wal-Marts $163 online price. That's how I bought my last Millie ;)