Curious about strength and durability of ceramic BBL

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
peacefuljeffrey

Curious about strength and durability of ceramic BBL

Post by peacefuljeffrey »

I've noticed that the Spyderco knives that still offer the Ball Bearing Lock (there are much too few of them) use a ceramic ball bearing whereas way back when, they used a spell ball bearing.

What's the story with the ceramic one? Why does Spyderco prefer it now? And most importantly, how does it compare strength-wise to a steel version? Can it be shattered with sufficient pressure? And what about shock, such as a "spine whack"? Have any of these ceramic balls been known to crack or shatter, even if it took full-on torture testing to do it? I'm looking for reasons to trust the ceramic ball.
Evil D

Re: Curious about strength and durability of ceramic BBL

Post by Evil D »

By design a sphere is extremely strong but I do wonder about chipping. There are some people who swapped ceramic balls in years ago before Spyderco made the change, maybe they can chime in with some long term info.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
SF Native

Post by SF Native »

Lots of benefits. Less friction for smoother action. Won't rust.
As for strength, I don't know but there has been tons of advancement in ceramics in the last few decades coming out of space programs and such. I wouldn't worry. Heck, I think they use one the manix and that is one of the beefier models.
peacefuljeffrey

I have a Manix 2 and a Manix 2XL. Honestly, since I've never taken them apart, I don't even know what kinds of ball bearings they have.
attila

Post by attila »

peacefuljeffrey wrote:I have a Manix 2 and a Manix 2XL. Honestly, since I've never taken them apart, I don't even know what kinds of ball bearings they have.
If you look in between the handle scales with the blade not locked or closed, you can see the stainless steel-looking bearing ball.
Have: old S30V Native, HAP40 Endura, ZDP DF2, S110V Manix LW, Cru-wear Para 3, SE H1 DF2, S90V Native 5, K390 Urban, SE Pac Salt, P.I.T.S., XHP Manix LW, SB Caly 3, B70P, PMA11, K03, Kapara, REX 45 Military, 154CM Manix LW, Swick, AEB-L Urban, KC Cruwear Manix, M390 PM2, Mantra 2, CruCarta Shaman, M390 Manix, K390 Police 4, S90V Manix LW, Rex 45 Manix LW, 20CV Manix, Rex 45 Lil’Native, Shaman, C208GP, Cruwear Manix, Cruwear Manix, M4 Chief, Z-max!!!

Want: SPY27, K490, Swick 5
SF Native

Post by SF Native »

attila wrote:
peacefuljeffrey wrote:I have a Manix 2 and a Manix 2XL. Honestly, since I've never taken them apart, I don't even know what kinds of ball bearings they have.
If you look in between the handle scales with the blade not locked or closed, you can see the stainless steel-looking bearing ball.
You are correct. Never knew that.
peacefuljeffrey

attila wrote:
Cool, yep, there it is! :)

Now my next question is, if something were to happen to the polymer cage, would that be catastrophic to the function of the lock? As in, would the ball be unable to stay inside the knife?
Robbob

Post by Robbob »

peacefuljeffrey wrote:
attila wrote:

Now my next question is, if something were to happen to the polymer cage, would that be catastrophic to the function of the lock? As in, would the ball be unable to stay inside the knife?
I believe it would fall out as the cage is what's holding it in the scales. Even if it did stay in place, though, there would not be a convenient way to operate the lock.
peacefuljeffrey

Robbob wrote:
peacefuljeffrey wrote:
attila wrote:

I believe it would fall out as the cage is what's holding it in the scales. Even if it did stay in place, though, there would not be a convenient way to operate the lock.
I see that as a terrible weakness, and it is the ONLY thing I don't like about my Manix 2XL. :(
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

peacefuljeffrey wrote:I've noticed that the Spyderco knives that still offer the Ball Bearing Lock (there are much too few of them) use a ceramic ball bearing whereas way back when, they used a spell ball bearing.

What's the story with the ceramic one? Why does Spyderco prefer it now? And most importantly, how does it compare strength-wise to a steel version? Can it be shattered with sufficient pressure? And what about shock, such as a "spine whack"? Have any of these ceramic balls been known to crack or shatter, even if it took full-on torture testing to do it? I'm looking for reasons to trust the ceramic ball.
Don't trust it. Buy one, beat the dickens out of it and let us know what happens.
Wanimator

Post by Wanimator »

I've seriously suggested a ceramic ball to for the Manix 2 and XL. A Silicon Nitride ceramic ball would take all the abuse with stride. Plus no galling or real worry with race lubrication.
kelpie

Post by kelpie »

The only experience I have is with the new D'allara 3. edc for 3 months and I like the ceramic ball a lot. the ball "rides" on the blade tang all the way around from shut to open, and hardly loses contact going from open to shut (it may not even, very hard to tell). I'm not an engineer (so take this for what it may be worth) I think that this consistent connection could work to remove "shock" from the ball? it doesn't feel "bang clang"

- my comparison point is the axis lock, feels like the axis imparts more "thwack"
zhyla

Post by zhyla »

I don't think the ball will fall out of a Manix 2 if the cage fails. But doesn't matter, it's going in for repair either way.

Wear resistance is all that matters for CBB in my opinion. You're not going to crack a ceramic ball before the blade shatters.