Recommend a Classy EDC Spydie

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
dreadpirate

Recommend a Classy EDC Spydie

Post by dreadpirate »

My brothers birthday is coming up. A "Gentleman's" folder would be best for him. He has everything and is impossible to shop for. Fishing for ideas. Titanium Damascus steel Delica? 4oth anniversary Native 5??
Slumblor

Re: Recommend a Classy EDC Spydie

Post by Slumblor »

The Chaparral is always a great choice, or what about one from the Sage line? 1, 2 or 5
PM2 Cruwear, PM2 S35VN, PM2 S30V, Manix 2 LW S110V, Manix 2 LW CTS-XHP, Native 5 LW S35VN, Native 5 G10 S35VN, Mantra M4, Sage 5 S30V, Chaparral CTS-XHP, Stretch Hap40, Stretch VG10, Centofante 3 VG10, Delica 4 Hap40, Delica 4 ZDP 189, Delica 4 VG10, Dragonfly 2 VG10, Ladybug 3 H1, Caly3 ZDP189, Urban LW K390
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

Probably a chaparral. Comes in several different flavors, depending on what you like and how much you want to spend.
mad german

Post by mad german »

Sage 5. Case closed.
My collection is ever changing!
remnar

Post by remnar »

Chaparral or Bradley Air if you can find one. Sage or Ti Delica if you want something a little bigger.
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

Another vote for the Chap! Nothing wrong with the Sages either. Not sure I'd go with the 40th Anniversary Native. Don't get me wrong, it's a beautiful piece but I don't really see it as an EDC. If I wanted to gift someone a classy Native for EDC I'd consider the fluted titanium or the new S90V fluted carbon fiber.
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Find a nice Kopa or original Kiwi with a nice inlay. Still no better gent's folders than those two IMO. The Air is nice if you don't need a pocket clip and M4/non stainless is ok, and the Memory is super nice if you don't mind the color.

For honorable mention if you want something that can really be EDC'ed and is borderline gents/EDC, you can always go with the Centofante 3. It's classy looking, has a fancy bug in the handle, it's a LOT cheaper than any of these other knives mentioned, and it does just fine in everyday use.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
murphjd25

Post by murphjd25 »

The new Raffir Noble Chap is pretty sweet...just saying :)
Josh
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

Raffir Noble Chaparral. For sure.
EmperorMA

Post by EmperorMA »

Blurple S110V PM2. It's a beautiful knife.

If the Para 3 version is out in time, maybe even better.
Wishlist: Delica 4 FFG VG10, Manix 2 LW XHP, Military 204P and S110V, Para 3 Cruwear and S110V, Paramilitary 2 (all versions), SpydieChef LC200N, Caribbean PE and Sheepsfoot SE

Procured: Caly 3.5 VG10, Dragonfly 2 LW VG10, Manix 2 XL S30V, Native 5 LW S110V, Para 3 S30V, Paramilitary 2 S110V
elena86

Post by elena86 »

Classy+EDC+ (WOW! factor) = Titanium Delica :cool:
bh49

Post by bh49 »

Evil D wrote:Find a nice Kopa or original Kiwi with a nice inlay. Still no better gent's folders than those two IMO. and the Memory is super nice if you don't mind the color.
For honorable mention if you want something that can really be EDC'ed and is borderline gents/EDC, you can always go with the Centofante 3. It's classy looking, has a fancy bug in the handle, it's a LOT cheaper than any of these other knives mentioned, and it does just fine in everyday use.
+1
I would like to add original CF Damascus Caly3, 75 mm Persian, micro-dayads and Volpe.
Certainly the easiest to find and most budget friendly is Centofante3. You shouldn't have much problems to find Memory. Great knife. But usually pictures do not do any justice for it. I never liked it until got one in my hands.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

CF Chaparral!
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Evil D wrote:Find a nice Kopa or original Kiwi with a nice inlay. Still no better gent's folders than those two IMO.
The KOPA is a very good recommendation>> A very good friend of mine used to EDC a black KOPA and he really loved it. But it's a rather small folder but it is real "Classy" looking folder. There are so many high end, premium Spyders out there that it's basically just up to what you personally like. What I like or what others here like may not be what you like.

I would recommend models like the C-60 Ayoob or the JD Smith model which are both very classy Spyders but blade length might be a problem because both of those models have 3 inch plus blades on them. Those KOPA models are truly a classy gentlemen's type knife but in that size range personally I like the Jess Horn models better than I do the KOPA models. Some of those older Jess Horn models truly were some of the most elegant that Spyderco ever made IMO.

There are some of the older Caly Jr. models that have Micarta handles but those are getting really tough to find. So again I think I would need to know what blade lengths would be acceptable. Oh one other model I could recommend would be a couple of the Sprint runs of the Dodo model. The Carbon Fiber handled one sure looks classy.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I would have been all for a Delica sized Kopa, but I guess that's kind of Caly 3 territory. JD I think a big requirement for a gent's knife is being a bit on the smaller side. That's not to say an Ayoob isn't classy, but only a maniac like you or I would carry an Ayoob in a suit lol.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
LDB

Post by LDB »

animportant

Post by animportant »

The new KC exclusive wood hap40 Endura or delica
dreadpirate

Post by dreadpirate »

animportant wrote:The new KC exclusive wood hap40 Endura or delica
Not sure that will be out in time. But I agree those are classy.
StuttgartMadness

Post by StuttgartMadness »

I would go with a Native5 Fluted Titanium, Centofante Memory, Domino with the blue weave carbon fiber, Chapparral, Vallotton/ Lil Vallotton, and the Caly 3.5 would be the top ones on my list.

[EDIT] Oh yeah, and the Gayle Bradley folder... Beautiful knife if you want a larger one...
Currently lusting after the PM2 in S110V... And the Para 3... And the Military... And pretty much everything else...

"A man without a knife, is a man without a life"
-Anonymous (This guy has some great quotes)
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Evil D wrote:I would have been all for a Delica sized Kopa, but I guess that's kind of Caly 3 territory. JD I think a big requirement for a gent's knife is being a bit on the smaller side. That's not to say an Ayoob isn't classy, but only a maniac like you or I would carry an Ayoob in a suit lol.
You got a very valid point there EVIL D :D There aren't too many more Spyderheads other than us who think the C-36 Military model is a normal EDC :D

However in the category that people refer to as a "Gent's Knife" I must say that the JD Smith probably qualifies even better than the Sprint, G-10 Ayoob model does. I guess you could say that the JD Smith is a "Texas Sized" gents folder :cool:

My vote for a smaller gents knife would still be one of the Spyderco JESS HORN models. When it comes to elegance in that size range I don't think anything can beat them ;)