Calypso Jr vs Native 5?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
embry386

Calypso Jr vs Native 5?

Post by embry386 »

I saw a photo of the Calypso Jr on the forums a few days ago and fell in love instantly. Am considering buying one, but am hesitant to spend that much cash on something I've never gotten the chance to hold in my hand in person (especially since eBay sellers' return policies tend to be nonexistent). Would like some advice about this knife and how it compares to the Native 5, which I own and like very much.

How are the handle and ergonomics of the Calypso Jr, compared to the Native 5? Do the knives feel similar in hand? The choil on the Calypso Jr looks shallower, is that a problem for those of you who like the deep choil on the Native? Do you miss having jimping on the spine and in the choil?

Also, if anyone can show me some photos of the two knives side-by-side, that'd be great.
AlwaysTomboy

Re: Calypso Jr vs Native 5?

Post by AlwaysTomboy »

I'm probably the wrong person to advise you on Calypso Jr vs Native 5 because I prefer the Caly Jr. I have small hands and Caly Jr fits my hand better. The less shallow choil and lack of jimping doesn't bother me a bit, but I don't use my knives as hard as some folks. Other differences: Native bidirectional texture feels a bit more grippy than the fish scale FRN of Caly Jr. Native blade has more belly. Caly Jr is tip down carry only. & Caly Jr has more of a bump for the thumb hole when closed. Both take up about the same amount of pocket space and feel about the same weight.

Honestly, the ergonomics, size & proportions are very similar. If you like the Native, I suspect you'll also like Caly Jr. I am, admittedly, very biased in favor of anything Caly, though. :o That said, after Caly Jr and Caly 3, Native is my third fav Spyderco model.

Last edited by AlwaysTomboy on Wed Jun 28, 2017 10:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
(Sent from iPod)
vivi

Post by vivi »

The biggest differences are handle thickness and the hump.

If you measure from the top of the handle where the lockbar sits, to the bottom of the finger grooves, the handle on the Native is much wider. It is also thicker viewed from the top down.

The Native has a flat spine while the Caly Jr has the hump. Everyone has their preference here.

IMO the Native is a little more robust and heavy duty, while the Caly feels a touch more precise. The ergonomics on both are very nice.

FWIW the UKPK features a deeper choil which I prefer, and is readily available for a very reasonable price. For me the lack of a lock isn't an issue because the size of the knife limits what I'd expect to do with it, and the choil + stiff backspring make accidental closing anon-issue in my use.

Neither would be my primary knife, something like a Military or Police fits my mitts better. If I had to choose one to EDC, I'd give the nod to the Native for being a bit beefier and roomier in the handle. I also prefer tip up carry. The Caly is a classic though, definitely a situation where it's hard to go wrong with either. If I were going to re-visit the Caly pattern, personally I'd opt for CF/ZDP189 Caly 3.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

I would tend to favor the Native 5. However, if you throw the Caly3 into the mix, then that knife wins.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
murphjd25

Post by murphjd25 »

I wasn't aware the Caly Jr was about the same size as the native, that's a interesting comparison. My Caly Jr will be here tomorrow so I'll have more feedback. I have a feeling it's going to be a wicked little slicer. I can already tell I am going to love it way more then the Native, I for some reason just really dislike the huge deep choil on the Native..to each his own :)
Josh
Nate

Post by Nate »

Here's an old comparison pic I took, hope it helps!:

:spyder:
Joris Mo

Post by Joris Mo »

Most has already been said, I like both very much and definitely prefer the Calypso over the Caly, design feels better to me and looks much better.
Hard to pick a favorite between the Native and the Calypso though, do prefer the Japanese FRN feel of the Calypso. (and love the pattern in the FRN)
dplafoll

Post by dplafoll »

For me, I'd rather have the thumb ramp, but I'd also rather have tip up carry. So they both have something that I don't like, but I think all else being equal I'd go with the Native for the carry. I like Nate's comparison picture though; I'd rather have a Chaparral than either one, and that'll be absolutely true once the FRN version is out.
Patrick LaFollette
Current: Dragonfly 2 ZDP-189, Chaparral 1, Techno 1, Delica 4 HAP-40, Dragonfly 2 HAP-40, Mantra 1, Ladybug Salt Hawkbill, Nirvana CPM, Endura 4 HAP-40, Sage 4, Para Military 2 CPM Cru-Wear, Sage 5, Caly3 HAP40, Sliverax, Lil' Nilakka, Chaparral Raffir Noble, Zulu, Manbug HAP40, Meerkat HAP40, Sage 1/Sage 2/Sage 3 CF, Introvert, Techno 2
gull wing

Post by gull wing »

I prefer my Calypso Jrs to my Natives, because of the thinner handle.
Because of the scalpel like blade.
Because of the balanced blade to handle ratio.
Not fond of the Caly's, too butt heavy for me, they tend to slip my grip.
SCARAMOUCHE! :bug-red-white
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

I actually like the extra bulk and thickness of the Native models>> and you're talking to a guy who also does like almost everything in the Spyderco Calypso Family. I've owned and used and EDCed two of the Caly Jr. models and the Burgundy ZDP-189 version is still one of my favorite smaller EDC folders. But to be outright honest I find the extra bulk and rigidity of the GOLDEN, CO USA Earth model is just a better hard use EDC for what I use folders for now a days. Especially my older 440V Spyderedged version of the Native is truly a pitbull of a folder.

But the entire Calypso family of Spyderco folders is truly a work of art. Particularly the original C-54 big Calypso has been in my Top 10 most liked Spyders of all time. Both the NATIVE and Caly Jr. are great Spyderco folders>> so I guess it would boil down to what you actually use your folders for.
murphjd25

Post by murphjd25 »

Mail call!! This thing is a true light saber ho lee chit bbbImage
Josh
Halfneck

Post by Halfneck »

Use to own the ZDP-189 Caly Jr. and I've handled the Native quite a bit. Of the two I prefer the ergonomics of the Native.

My favorite thing about the Caly Jr was the Fishscale FRN.
embry386

Post by embry386 »

Many thanks to AlwaysTomboy and Nate for the comparison photos, it's great to see the two knives next to each other. I'm happy to see that the handles are shaped very similar, and that people who like the Native's handle also tend to like the Calypso's handle. Thanks also for everyone who's contributed their detailed analysis of the differences between the two knives -- the Calypso Jr seems like it's pretty much the exact kind of thing I've been wanting... more delicate-feeling, with a thumb ramp, and a handle that'll work with my small hands. It looks like I'm going to be buying one, when I get the cash for another knife. I do love the sturdy serrated blade on my Native and the lack of thumb ramp, but the Calypso Jr will be a great backup knife, I'm sure. :spyder: :cool: Time to stalk eBay for a good deal...

Also thanks for the suggestions of alternative knives like the UKPK and Caly 3; I'm not interested in those models for various reasons but it's interesting to see people's discussion of them.

That is a gorgeous knife, murphjd25.