Salty Retirement Gift Suggestion

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
RocketBen

Salty Retirement Gift Suggestion

Post by RocketBen »

My brother-in-law is retiring, and I was thinking about getting him a Spyderco as a gift.

They have a boat, and do a lot of scuba diving and fishing, so I was thinking of something in the Salt series.
What are your suggestions? I don't want to go much over $75. Something small for the tackle box, like ladybug, manbug, or ladybug hawkbill? Something a little larger, like Dragonfly, or Salt 1 or Tasman? PE or SE?
LDB

Re: Salty Retirement Gift Suggestion

Post by LDB »

It's not a Salt series but a significant number of purchasers of this will receive an upgrade to a higher level/price model and/or a nice bonus item. Limited to 350 purchasers and currently around 90 so it will end probably by tomorrow.

https://www.massdrop.com/buy/blue-box-s ... emailshare
mrtodd777

Post by mrtodd777 »

I would definitely get him one of the new Salt 2's in SE. Black or yellow is the only other question!
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

I recently gifted a salty mate of mine a Hawkbill LadyBug.
I think he liked it cause he bought two more for his sons. :)
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
RocketBen

Post by RocketBen »

I was leaning towards the Dragonfly, mostly because I love mine and I think it's a good mix of being small but still very functional. But I can see how a hawkbill might be useful for cutting fishing line and whatnot.
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

I'd say dragonfly or salt 2. Personally I prefer the salt 2 as it's a bit more "solid" feeling than the dragonfly in the linerless salts. And the new salt 2 handle is even more solid than the old salt 1.
RocketBen

Post by RocketBen »

After talking with my sister to get her opinion on what her husband might like, I've ordered the Dragonfly with SE. I hope he likes it!
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

That is a great choice--especially in SE! I'll bet he will love it. :)
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
ThePeacent

Post by ThePeacent »

Then you only need to get them a Tasman to introduce them to the awesome Spyderco Hawkbill blades...they'll be hooked instantly

nice pick in any case!
RocketBen

Post by RocketBen »

ThePeacent wrote:Then you only need to get them a Tasman to introduce them to the awesome Spyderco Hawkbill blades...they'll be hooked instantly
OK, so I've never used a hawkbill, what is the attraction? Besides cutting rope, what advantage does it have?
ThePeacent

Post by ThePeacent »

RocketBen wrote:
ThePeacent wrote:Then you only need to get them a Tasman to introduce them to the awesome Spyderco Hawkbill blades...they'll be hooked instantly
OK, so I've never used a hawkbill, what is the attraction? Besides cutting rope, what advantage does it have?
pull cuts, use like a box cutter with that nasty tip, grab what you're cutting so that it doesn't slide off (leather, plastic containers, twigs, vines, wire, cloth), "lift" what you're cutting ensuring it won't fall or move, cut at an angle to reach over spots and get to corners with the curvature of the blade that you wouldn't be able to reach with a straight blade

lightest, most environment-proof pallet, box and package opener ever...Gets dirty? To the the dishwasher it goes.
Need to open that soda plastic wrapping on the beach, or save that little hung up turtle? Carry it IWB in your swimsuit, won't even notice it's there, and save the day! And you can take a nice bath with it, salt won't be a problem there. ;)