S90V Fluted Carbon Fiber Native 5 is alive!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
RamZar

Re: S90V Fluted Carbon Fiber Native 5 is alive!

Post by RamZar »

Spyderco responded as follows:
The Native 5 Fluted carbon fiber handle with S90V blade steel should be coming out sometime this summer.
It is a standard production item and not a sprint run.
The MSRP on this knife is $359.95. Minimum Advertised Price (MAP) is 40% off of MSRP. Dealers can set their pricing as long as it is not below that price.
Since it's a production and not a sprint run, I for one will hold out for the $215.97 street price (40% off MSRP)! No rush in getting one.
  • I welcome dialog, as long as it remains cordial, constructive and is conducted in a civilized manner. - Titanic: Blood & Steel
  • You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you cannot fool all of the people all of the time. - Abraham Lincoln
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

A regular production run!? My odds of owning one of these in the next 2 years just went up by 100%. :D
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
bh49

Post by bh49 »

RamZar wrote:Spyderco responded as follows:
The Native 5 Fluted carbon fiber handle with S90V blade steel should be coming out sometime this summer.
The MSRP on this knife is $359.95. Minimum Advertised Price (MAP) is 40% off of MSRP. Dealers can set their pricing as long as it is not below that price.
Since it's a production and not a sprint run, I for one will hold out for the $215.97 street price (40% off MSRP)! No rush in getting one.
+1
With all my love to Native family I do not have an extra money.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
Bile Bob

Post by Bile Bob »

From BHQ:

MSRP: $359.95

Our Price: $251.97
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

I'm with you RZ! I finally cancelled my pre-order today.

I find it interesting that all but one of the popular dealers have this priced at 30% off MSRP instead of the usual 40%. Why would they all decide to do this for this one particular knife?
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
bh49

Post by bh49 »

Sharp Guy wrote: I find it interesting that all but one of the popular dealers have this priced at 30% off MSRP instead of the usual 40%. Why would they all decide to do this for this one particular knife?
because they can.
Most likely this will be a limited production like Ti Fluted N5. So there is a good chance that this knife will not be really available and many fans will have no problem to pay extra just to get it now.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

bh49 wrote:
Sharp Guy wrote: I find it interesting that all but one of the popular dealers have this priced at 30% off MSRP instead of the usual 40%. Why would they all decide to do this for this one particular knife?
because they can.
Most likely this will be a limited production like Ti Fluted N5. So there is a good chance that this knife will not be really available and many fans will have no problem to pay extra just to get it now.
The Ti Fluted N5 has a MSRP of $419.95. 40% off MSRP is $251.97 which is what all the dealers are currently selling it for. Did the Ti Fluted N5 sell for $293.97 when it was first released?

Sprint runs are extremely limited production. The dealers still sell those at 40% off MSRP.
RamZar

Post by RamZar »

Sharp Guy wrote:

I find it interesting that all but one of the popular dealers have this priced at 30% off MSRP instead of the usual 40%. Why would they all decide to do this for this one particular knife?
Some may have outdated pricing from way back before it was cancelled. I'd say wait until it's released and if it's not at 40% off MSRP then just wait until it becomes so.
  • I welcome dialog, as long as it remains cordial, constructive and is conducted in a civilized manner. - Titanic: Blood & Steel
  • You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you cannot fool all of the people all of the time. - Abraham Lincoln
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

RamZar wrote:
Sharp Guy wrote:

I'd say wait until it's released and if it's not at 40% off MSRP then just wait until it becomes so.
That's my plan!
jabba359

Post by jabba359 »

I'm guessing that somebody accidentally switched the "1" and the "5" when they typed out the minimum advertised price, inadvertently typing "251" instead of "215".
-Kyle

:bug-red
Latest arrivals: Lava Flow CF DLC Para2, Magnacut Mule, GITD Jester

http://www.spydiewiki.com
bh49

Post by bh49 »

Sharp Guy wrote: The Ti Fluted N5 has a MSRP of $419.95. 40% off MSRP is $251.97 which is what all the dealers are currently selling it for. Did the Ti Fluted N5 sell for $293.97 when it was first released?
Ti Fluted N5 was released before Spyderco implemented MAP. So prices varied, but for couple years it was hard to find.
Sharp Guy wrote: Sprint runs are extremely limited production. The dealers still sell those at 40% off MSRP.
Not all dealer. CS selling sprints and exclusives for more. KW sells exclusives also for more. Plus do not forget about BBS and most of front stores.

olywa

Post by olywa »

Pretty, but I'm not pulling the trigger on another Native until I see one with a with a wire clip. The new Lil Native compression lock looks like it will be the next one for me. Hopefully Spyderco will eventually put a wire clip on a Full size LW Native some day.

Translucent FRCP..... wire clip..... black hardware and blade..... (just dreaming now)
vilePossum

Post by vilePossum »

Seems like it is available at a big European vendor. Too bad I don't have any money left for that sort of thing right now as the lil nilakka won't sell.
J32A2

Post by J32A2 »

Woke up to that email as well. So is this native regular production?
ronT2

Post by ronT2 »

Waiting somewhat patiently.

Last edited by ronT2 on Thu Jul 20, 2017 8:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
My EDC rotation: Kapara, Chaparral CF, Mantra, Sage 1, Sage 5, Dice, Domino, Gayle Bradley 2, PakkaDelica, Native CFF
J32A2

Post by J32A2 »

Pic isn't working for me.
ronT2

Post by ronT2 »

Sorry dup post.
Last edited by ronT2 on Thu Jul 20, 2017 8:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
My EDC rotation: Kapara, Chaparral CF, Mantra, Sage 1, Sage 5, Dice, Domino, Gayle Bradley 2, PakkaDelica, Native CFF
ronT2

Post by ronT2 »

sorry dup post.
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

Can someone from Spyderco confirm if this is regular production? I think it might be.

From this months SpyderByte:

C41CFFP5

THE NATIVE® 5
FLUTED CARBON FIBER
MSRP: $359.95
ORIGIN: USA
Since its original release in 1997, the Native has been both a mainstay of the Spyderco product line and a shining example of our relentless commitment to Constant Quality Improvement (C.Q.I.). Now in its fifth generation of design, it is a flagship of Spyderco’s American-made product line with a solid reputation for offering superior craftsmanship and quality at a very affordable price.

Because of its long and distinguished lineage, the Native 5 was a natural choice as the platform for Spyderco’s 40th Anniversary Knife. Released last year, that remarkable limited-edition knife elevated the Native 5 to all new heights with a fluted carbon fiber handle and stunning Damasteel® Thor® Damascus blade. Although it was not intended as an everyday carry tool, the design features of this rare knife—particularly its linerless, fluted carbon fiber handle—inspired countless requests for a user-oriented version of it. And when our customers speak, we listen.

The Native 5 Fluted Carbon Fiber proudly features the same stunning handle as the 40th Anniversary Native. The meticulously machined fluted sunburst pattern accentuates the layered construction of each solid carbon fiber scale to offer a stunningly beautiful appearance and a subtle non-slip texture. Like the Native 5 Lightweight, the scales of this knife are fitted with four sets of threaded stainless steel inserts to allow attachment of a four-position hourglass pocket clip. The flanged inserts are installed from the interior side of each scale for maximum strength, ensuring sturdy support for left or right-side tip-up or tip-down carry.

To further strengthen the handle and fine tune the knife’s balance, it includes a solid stainless steel backspacer. A generously sized lanyard hole through both scales aligns perfectly with a hole in the pocket clip (when positioned for tip-up carry) to allow the easy, secure attachment of fobs and lanyards. Like all other Native 5’s, this version boasts the highly evolved back lock mechanism that is a defining characteristic of the design. Machined to tolerances of less than a thousandth of an inch, this lock offers outstanding strength and ease of operation with either hand.

Not to be outdone, the blade of this unique Native 5 is crafted from premium CPM® S90V® stainless steel. This advanced particle metallurgy steel is enriched with a high vanadium content that favors the formation of hard vanadium carbides instead of chromium carbides. This enhances the steel’s wear resistance and edge retention, leaving more free chromium available to provide superior corrosion resistance. The result is a blade that takes an incredibly sharp edge, holds it extremely well, and is highly resistant to rust and corrosion.

The PlainEdge™ blade of the Fluted Carbon Fiber Native 5 is full-flat ground for low-friction cutting performance and includes a fully accessible Trademark Round Hole™ for swift, ambidextrous, one-handed opening. An index-finger choil (finger groove) at the base of the blade allows a forward “choked-up” grip for maximum control and, like the thumb ramp above it, features crisp jimping (textured grooves) for added traction.

Proudly manufactured in our factory in Golden, Colorado, the Fluted Carbon Fiber Native 5 combines reliable high performance, state-of-the-art materials, and exceptional craftsmanship into truly extraordinary everyday cutting tool.

OVERALL: 6.95in / 177mm
BLADE: 2.95in / 75mm
EDGE: 2.45in / 62mm
WEIGHT: 2.8oz / 79g
GRIND: Full-Flat
ORIGIN: USA
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

^ I was wondering the same thing as I read about this in Byte. I have to believe it's not a sprint or limited run since there's no mention of it in the article. Hopefully Sal or one of the Spyderco team members can confirm.