S90V Fluted Carbon Fiber Native 5 is alive!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Liquid Cobra

S90V Fluted Carbon Fiber Native 5 is alive!

Post by Liquid Cobra »

I just saw this on national knives Facebook page!

Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
SpyderNut

Re: S90V Fluted Carbon Fiber Native 5 is alive!

Post by SpyderNut »

Best news I've heard all day. :D I love the 40th Anniversary model, but it would be great to get a plainer version of the lovely 3D fluted CF for casual carry. Thanks for the heads up!
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
elduderino04

Post by elduderino04 »

Awesome! I was a little heartbroken when I saw that Spyderco seemed to have abandoned this. I don't need the bling of the damascus, but love the scales on the 40th anniversary. Can't wait for this one!
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

That's awesome. Really hope we see this fluted CF on the Military eventually.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

And on the Paramilitary 2 someday please.
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

Wow! Awesome news, as I was totally under the impression this one wasn't going to happen as well!
-Nick :bug-red
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

Well my knife budgeting plan is complete useless now :rolleyes: . Time to get that second job. If you missed out on the 40th, you should get one of these, the fluted carbon fiber is really nice.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
ronT2

Post by ronT2 »

Yes!!!!! Best news yet!
My EDC rotation: Kapara, Chaparral CF, Mantra, Sage 1, Sage 5, Dice, Domino, Gayle Bradley 2, PakkaDelica, Native CFF
Bdubs808

Post by Bdubs808 »

I hoped that they were listening when we all wailed at the cancellation if this run. So happy that they spoil us :p Thanx Spydercrew!
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

Great news! I have a 40th Native and carry it occasionally but I'll buy one of these and use it much more!
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

Crap! I had just finally found a deal good enough to make my own earlier this month!

It's an interesting build... Kinda like the best of the heavy and lightweight. Uses PB washers and larger screws like the heavy, but has a floating lockbar pivot like the lightweight.
Bdubs808

Post by Bdubs808 »

abbazaba wrote:Crap! I had just finally found a deal good enough to make my own earlier this month!

It's an interesting build... Kinda like the best of the heavy and lightweight. Uses PB washers and larger screws like the heavy, but has a floating lockbar pivot like the lightweight.
Wow, that is quite a Frankenative you put together there. I've done some fun blade swaps but nothing that epic. Is the Damasteel blade now residing in a Blurple G10 handle?... Or do you have a LW Thor Native?!
bh49

Post by bh49 »

Great News
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

Bdubs808 wrote:Wow, that is quite a Frankenative you put together there. I've done some fun blade swaps but nothing that epic. Is the Damasteel blade now residing in a Blurple G10 handle?... Or do you have a LW Thor Native?!
It's resting safely in a blue LW handle. Actually looks great IMO. I'd like to swap in a Maxamet blade at some point, but I got a great deal on both donor knives used... FWIW I only have a little more into the build than the MAP of the C41CFFP5. I was crushed when they 'canceled' the new model, and wasn't super stoked about S90v anyway, but contoured handles are where it's at :)
bh49

Post by bh49 »

abbazaba wrote: Image
Beautiful knife. My S90V will look like this -20 :)
Thank you for the picture.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

I've been thinking about this and I have to admit that I'm really surprised and maybe even a little disappointed that Spyderco decided to release this at this point. It seems like most dealers still have the 40th Native in stock and I'm sure that this new version will only stall sales further.

I originally wanted the S90V version and, like many others, I was disappointed when we got the news it was cancelled. I had no plans on buying the 40th Native because it's more of a collector's piece and I figured I wouldn't carry it much. I only bought one because I couldn't get the knife I wanted in the first place. Don't get me wrong, the 40th Native is a beautiful knife and up until now I was really happy to have one even though it spends most of it's life in my safe. Now the knife I originally wanted is rising from the dead and I'm starting to regret that purchase. Had I known that Spyderco would ultimately change their mind and decide to make the S90V version I would've never spent the extra money on the 40th.

Sorry, I don't like raining on everyone's parade but I guess I'm feeling a little frustrated at this point. I'm sure I'm not the only 40th N5 owner who's feeling this way.
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
bh49

Post by bh49 »

You are not exactly raining on somebody's parade. I understand your feelings quite well. It is very unfortunate that Spyderco cancel this model a while ago. Also, this is not 100% that the knife will be made. It comes from one dealer. I didn't hear this from Spyderco yet.

RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

Like pretty much all the news, some are happy about it, some are sad (and the rest don't care or are totally confused), but you can't fault Spyderco for bringing us a knife we were initially super excited about and offers that amazing handle in a (hopefully much) cheaper version. Pretty sure them not moving the full stock of the 40th's doesn't matter a huge amount to them since it was a tribute knife essentially.

As for other dealers getting word of this, NGK confirmed to me (and without me even asking about it) that this CF/S90V Native 5 and likely the Shaman would come in the next batch delivered to them from Spyderco. :D So it seems legit, plus I'm pretty sure the Spydercrew would have chimed in by now saying that NK page was bogus. Cheers, Radioactive :)
It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
bh49

Post by bh49 »

Now, the question is, if S90V Fluted CF Native5 will be a sprint run or limited production (like Ti Fluted??

Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

That is great news. Anyone have an idea on the price?
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050