S90V Fluted Carbon Fiber Native 5 is alive!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
bh49

Re: S90V Fluted Carbon Fiber Native 5 is alive!

Post by bh49 »

RamZar wrote:
$215.97 (40% off MSRP) is the price to pay for this. New Graham Knives still has 3 left in stock.
This is why they are #1
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
bh49

Post by bh49 »

Sharp Guy wrote: I thought he went out of business.
What made you think this way?
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

bh49 wrote:
Sharp Guy wrote: I thought he went out of business.
What made you think this way?
Disregard, I was thinking of the wrong dealer.
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
ronT2

Post by ronT2 »

RamZar wrote:$215.97 (40% off MSRP) is the price to pay for this. New Graham Knives still has 3 left in stock.
They're out of stock now, partially because of me. :D

Thanks for the heads up.
My EDC rotation: Kapara, Chaparral CF, Mantra, Sage 1, Sage 5, Dice, Domino, Gayle Bradley 2, PakkaDelica, Native CFF
RamZar

Post by RamZar »

National Knives went back down to $215.97 (40% off MSRP).
  • I welcome dialog, as long as it remains cordial, constructive and is conducted in a civilized manner. - Titanic: Blood & Steel
  • You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you cannot fool all of the people all of the time. - Abraham Lincoln
bh49

Post by bh49 »

Just got mine. Beautiful knife. Feels great in my hand.
Thank you Spyderco for making this Native for us.

ronT2

Post by ronT2 »

It’s alive and well!

I posted this over on BF, thought I’d post it here as well.

Mine came today and I love it! The fit and finish is beautiful, the tension on the backlock is perfect. The unique “CLACK” sound that resonates from the CF handles when the lock engages is authoritative. I love the ground finish on the blade, something that I really missed on my g-10 Native. And it just plain feel s great in hand.

I read on the Spyderco factory forum that the carbon fiber is not perfect and that is true but you almost have to look at it with a loop to see it. Although it is probably as close to perfect as machined carbon fiber ever will be. As someone who has ground CF tubes I know some of the challenges of working with it, there always seemed to be voids in the resin and/or the CF right where you didn’t want it. It’s also a little more like wood in that no two pieces are exactly the same. Each one seems to have its own grain pattern and its own little imperfections. So, if you can’t tolerate a little “character” don’t buy one, stick to g-10 or frn. That said I can really appreciate the pains Sal and company went through to bring us this knife and thank them for not giving up on it and making it happen.

My EDC rotation: Kapara, Chaparral CF, Mantra, Sage 1, Sage 5, Dice, Domino, Gayle Bradley 2, PakkaDelica, Native CFF
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

Awesome! Thanks for the pics!
Rotten

Post by Rotten »

Am I the only one that finds it horribly disappointing this is only offered in the nearly useless blade length of only 3" Who really finds a knife that small to be practical and useful? Nobody that uses their blades 50 or more time a day like I do. A knife that sits in safe fulfills no purpose in life. I have several blades that cost over $1000 and I carry them all. $252 is nothing. I'd pay it in a second if the knife were actually a useful size.

All versions them are a big letdown for me honestly. The Para 2 is one of the most often carried and useful blades I own and I had high hopes the Native 5 would be similar and not a disappointment like the original Manix with it's ridiculous locking mechanism.

Maybe I'm just difficult to please but knives that are too tiny or too huge are just silly wastes of money.
elduderino04

Post by elduderino04 »

Rotten wrote: Who really finds a knife that small to be practical and useful?
Literally thousands, possibly tens of thousands of people, given how popular they are. Particularly anyone who lives in a restrictive jurisdiction or works with people who are scared of knives.

(Half) Joking aside, this is why spyderco is so great, there's something for everyone: you can buy your K2s, others can buy Dragonflys, and still others can buy Natives.
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Rotten,

Welcome to our forum. What size blade do you like?

sal
Chumango

Post by Chumango »

The cutting edge of the N5 is 80% of the cutting edge of the PM2.

I carry an N5 LW a lot more often than a PM2.
Rotten

Post by Rotten »

Hi Sal.

My prefference (And I understand this is a personal choice) is 3.5-3.75 in. I have literally thousands of dollars worth of knives and a lot are expensive customs. I favor the Para 2 (primary carry for any situation) the Strider SnG, and the Hinderer XM 18 3.5. As an auto mechanic I use knives all day long to open bags and boxes for parts and 3.5 is an ideal size for any situation. I have a number of 4" blades but find them bulky and unwieldy. I tried a 3" Hinderer but found it did not work for me and sold it. I ran across this Amazon ad claiming the Native 5 was a 3.5" blade and was super stoked on the fluted CF version only to discover the ad is probably wrong and they are all 3". It was an unpleasant surprise as I was ready to buy. I understand the cutting edges are pretty close in measurement but the way a smaller knife feels in my size XL paws really makes a difference in what I am comfortable with.

https://www.amazon.com/Spyderco-C41GP5- ... o+native+5

The fluted CF Native 5 is an extremely beautiful knife but like I said. I won't own safe queens.
Rotten

Post by Rotten »

I guess what I'm trying to say is when a company makes a great knife it should be offered in multiple blade lengths to suit different users instead of saying "this IS the product we make. Take it or leave it". MKT makes the Marauder in three sizes. Hinderer makes the XM 18 in both 3" and 3.5" as well as the 4" XM 24. Strider has (had) the PT, SnG and SMF. three different sizes of the same blade. I think it's a shame the Native 5 only comes in one size and users that like longer blades have to look at a completely different model to fill their needs.

It's not meant to be a slam against the knife or Spyderco but I do think it's short sighted and shirks a large segment of the market.
ricechrispy

Post by ricechrispy »

Spyderco does do that with a few models. I'm thinking of the Delica/Endura, Manix 2/Manix XL, Para 3/Paramilitary2/Military, and Dice/Domino. I'm probably missing a few. Also, with the Native you have the upcoming Shaman. It sounds like the Native isn't for you. I love it and am happy that Spyderco makes some knives that are not in your 3.5-3.75in. sweet spot.
RamZar

Post by RamZar »

The upcoming Spyderco Shaman is kind of like a bigger Native with a 3.5" blade but with a compression lock.
  • I welcome dialog, as long as it remains cordial, constructive and is conducted in a civilized manner. - Titanic: Blood & Steel
  • You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you cannot fool all of the people all of the time. - Abraham Lincoln
Rotten

Post by Rotten »

ricechrispy wrote:Spyderco does do that with a few models. I'm thinking of the Delica/Endura, Manix 2/Manix XL, Para 3/Paramilitary2/Military, and Dice/Domino. I'm probably missing a few. Also, with the Native you have the upcoming Shaman. It sounds like the Native isn't for you. I love it and am happy that Spyderco makes some knives that are not in your 3.5-3.75in. sweet spot.

I'm glad they fill a nitch for those that want a smaller blade. I bought a Military before the para but it was just too big for me and I ended up cutting myself with it more often than not. Then the para 3 came out and between the three all the bases are covered (not that I need or would buy it myself). I'm aware of the Shaman and prefer the compression lock to the lock back but the Native fluted is simply awesome to look at and I just want to have it. If the Shaman is offered with fluted Ti or CF scales you can be certain I will buy one.

It's unlikely I can fully appreciate the difficulties involved in retooling for a production knife run in a blade and handle a different size but I do appreciate the results when company's actually do it.
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

Rotten wrote:....
The fluted CF Native 5 is an extremely beautiful knife but like I said. I won't own safe queens.
It's only a safe queen if you keep it in the safe :D Welcome to the forum rotten. You should check out the JB Outman Exclusive Yojimbo 2 in Black DLC S90V and Coyote brown handles. A very capable blade with a thick stock but a very thin and high hollow grind. It has no lanyard hole and it Maximizes the Blade to Handle ratio, so you get as much blade as possible in a compact knife. Also the ergo's are great for power cuts utilizing your thumb on the spine of the blade, it slices and pierces great.
Here's some size comparison pics with the 40th Anniv. standing in for the S90v Fluted CF.
20170815_144311.jpg
20170815_144518.jpg
20170815_145123.jpg
20170815_145037.jpg
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
elduderino04

Post by elduderino04 »

ronT2 wrote:It’s alive and well!
Hey Ron,

From your pictures it looks like the scales are essentially flat slabs of CF with the fluting cut into them. It could just be the way the fluting is done, but I had thought they were contoured. Could you (or anyone that has one) confirm whether the scales are mostly flat or whether they're contoured?

Thanks in advance!
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

elduderino04 wrote:
ronT2 wrote:It’s alive and well!
Hey Ron,

From your pictures it looks like the scales are essentially flat slabs of CF with the fluting cut into them. It could just be the way the fluting is done, but I had thought they were contoured. Could you (or anyone that has one) confirm whether the scales are mostly flat or whether they're contoured?

Thanks in advance!
They are contoured.
z40th3 (2).jpg
The contouring IS subtle, but it is in fact 3D contoured.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal