To Advocate or not to Advocate?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
toomzz

To Advocate or not to Advocate?

Post by toomzz »

As a true bug infected Spyderco addict once the idea of purchasing a new model is in my mind it is hard to get it out. Sounds familiar? :o
I am on the brink of purchasing an Advocate by a trustable dealer on Ebay. How easy is it to fix the 'thin washer issue' myself when I receive one of the first run models?

@ Spyderco; Can I also order an updated thicker set at the SFO without sending the knife overseas? (Yes I am aware that I might loose warranty if I disassemble the knife)
@ my fellow knife-addicts; any experience with replacing the bearings by phosphor bronze?

Please any suggestion is welcome, thanks!
Tom
vilePossum

Re: To Advocate or not to Advocate?

Post by vilePossum »

Oh if we could just replace the bearings with washers that would be a treat...but I doubt it would be that easy. Then again there are plenty of people reporting it to work just fine...

Just wish I could hit a sensible sub 300 euro price point somewhere. But there are other fishes in the pond... too many actually.
toomzz

Post by toomzz »

vilePossum wrote:
Just wish I could hit a sensible sub 300 euro price point somewhere. But there are other fishes in the pond... too many actually.
I hit at sub 200 euro with 9 euro S&H..... ;) Although I hope it is the updated version with thicker washers....
palonej

Post by palonej »

I picked up a new Advocate around 2 months ago and it is amazing! I haven't needed to adjust anything. It flips perfectly.....fast and smooth. Also flickable!
I haven't noticed gritty action or any problems with the washers or bearings.
Joe
Attachments
IMG_2461.JPG
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

I don't have an advocate but I do have a mantra and it is still perfect and buttery smooth after a year. I wouldn't worry about it. I think all but a few were issue free. And though I don't yet own an advocate, I do have the custom version and can tell you it's an awesome design!
vilePossum

Post by vilePossum »

toomzz wrote:
vilePossum wrote:
I hit at sub 200 euro with 9 euro S&H..... ;) Although I hope it is the updated version with thicker washers....
At that price I would buy it regardless of which washers. And I still need another mantra... that is they knife I probably regret selling the most.
toomzz

Post by toomzz »

Well, I did some research and found more threads about the knife and its presumed issues. Thanks sofar, the knife is in the mail and I am looking forward using it.
vox801

Post by vox801 »

Have an Advocate. No troubles at all.
hank_612

Post by hank_612 »

I got my advocate in December. I carry it all the time. No issues.
Counselore

Post by Counselore »

Is a bushing and washer system like the Hati a potential solution?