What is the closest knife handle-wise to the Dragonfly 2?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
EmperorMA

What is the closest knife handle-wise to the Dragonfly 2?

Post by EmperorMA »

Looking to get a knife for my 15 year old daughter. She has carried knives while doing outdoor activities for about 8 years so she is experienced. She has small hands, though, and really likes the Dfly 2 but understands she needs a bit longer blade for the activities we do in the outdoors, especially food prep, which is a strong suit for her.

I am thinking Delica 4 but the handle may be too long for her. I know the Stretch has a longer blade than Delica but I think the handle may be closer in design and size to the Dfly than the Delica is.

I am also looking at Native 5 but its handle is thick. If Chaparral was available in FRN the search would probably be over but she really prefers FRN to G10 (although she does like my Para 3's feel, she doesn't like the compression lock at all!).

What would you all recommend in an FRN knife for someone who absolutely loves the handle on the Dfly 2 but needs a slightly longer blade?

Thanks!!
Wishlist: Delica 4 FFG VG10, Manix 2 LW XHP, Military 204P and S110V, Para 3 Cruwear and S110V, Paramilitary 2 (all versions), SpydieChef LC200N, Caribbean PE and Sheepsfoot SE

Procured: Caly 3.5 VG10, Dragonfly 2 LW VG10, Manix 2 XL S30V, Native 5 LW S110V, Para 3 S30V, Paramilitary 2 S110V
elena86

Re: What is the closest knife handle-wise to the Dragonfly 2?

Post by elena86 »

The Urban maybe ...it's a slipjoint but the back spring is quite strong and the finger choil is a bonus as a safety feature.Since it's going to be used for food prep I recommend one in N690Co steel.The Urban is your best bet IMO.

Marius
vivi

Post by vivi »

Check out the Byrd Meadowlark. It has another half inch of blade, the ergonomics aren't terribly different, and with the choil I think she'd find it controllable even if the handle is a bit longer than needed. While it does come in FRN, the titanium ones are a bit thinner in the handle. If she can deal with the material despite her preference for FRN it's something to keep in mind.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

The Urban or the Cat are closest in size. The Cat at least has a liner lock. The actual grip area of the Native 5 is pretty small, unless you choke up on it using the choil. It might work just fine for her since you are talking about an outdoor knife. I still prefer the Delica and it has a thinner handle all the way around. But the Native is better for outdoor use, I would think (and it comes in pink if she likes that color).

Have you considered a small fixed blade like a Izula (can be had in stainless, or in colors) or the Candiru? If you go this route, buy the scales.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Dialex Junior. Perfect for small hands and food prep.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

How long until the Chap FRN comes out?
EmperorMA

Post by EmperorMA »

TomAiello wrote:How long until the Chap FRN comes out?
That's the one. I doubt we see it in 2017, though.
Wishlist: Delica 4 FFG VG10, Manix 2 LW XHP, Military 204P and S110V, Para 3 Cruwear and S110V, Paramilitary 2 (all versions), SpydieChef LC200N, Caribbean PE and Sheepsfoot SE

Procured: Caly 3.5 VG10, Dragonfly 2 LW VG10, Manix 2 XL S30V, Native 5 LW S110V, Para 3 S30V, Paramilitary 2 S110V
Eli Chaps

Post by Eli Chaps »

The byrd Robin and Meadowlark would be high on my list to try out. They are good knives and at a price point that let's you do some trial and error without crying.
embry386

Post by embry386 »

I have very small hands and the handles on the Delica and the Native both suit me very well. I've only played with the Delica in a store, but the Native is my EDC and has been absolutely awesome. Either would probably be great for your daughter. Here's a pic to give you an idea of the size of my hands compared to the Native:

Also an FRN Chaparral would be great, I was considering that one before I got my Native but the price and the lack of lightweight scales put me off. If they'd had an FRN version, I might have been carrying it right now rather than my Native.
Donut

Post by Donut »

The Meerkat handle is kind of close. Ladybug if you add a lanyard.

Delica for someone who wants more than a dragonfly. UKPK or Caly might be sort of close. Caly Jr would be a good in between.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

Donut wrote:The Meerkat handle is kind of close. Ladybug if you add a lanyard.

Delica for someone who wants more than a dragonfly. UKPK or Caly might be sort of close. Caly Jr would be a good in between.

I was thinking the meerkat too. I got to play with the new one at Blade and the handle was very "dragonfly like" to me. Plus it's got a cool lock. ;)
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

The SpyDK is available and is really close but is a slip joint. Cheap too.
Joris Mo

Post by Joris Mo »

Would go for the new Stretch for food prep and it having a choil like the Dragonfly, if she can do without the Delica should be great.
You could also look for a 2nd hand 3" Calypso with FRN handles, it's a great model very much like a Dragonfly and with very cool scaled FRN.
The UKPK is very nice as well if you don't mind a slipjoint.
EmperorMA

Post by EmperorMA »

Joris Mo wrote:Would go for the new Stretch for food prep and it having a choil like the Dragonfly, if she can do without the Delica should be great.
You could also look for a 2nd hand 3" Calypso with FRN handles, it's a great model very much like a Dragonfly and with very cool scaled FRN.
The UKPK is very nice as well if you don't mind a slipjoint.
No slip joints. She may draw kindling duty in the backcountry.

Joris Mo

Post by Joris Mo »

The Caly 3 is still made and locking but not in FRN.
I prefer the older Calypso to the Caly for design in general but I also prefer FRN. I would say that is definitely closest to a bigger (3") Dragonfly but it will be harder to find.
My favorite all rounders for food prep are the Stretch 2, Manix and the Endura, if I would want something smaller apart from the Calypso I guess I'd go for a FFG Delica.
If your daughter prefers the feeling of FRN of the Dragonfly she may also have a preference for Japanese FRN as opposed to USA FRCP/FRN like the Manix and the Native 5 with beefier feeling handles. (mainly less rounded off)