Civilian 2 "Salt" Poll Continued..

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.

First Choose Yes or no for the Wave, then pick your top 2 choices for lock and handle.

Emerson Wave YES
23%
Emerson Wave NO
11%
SE H1 Civilian 2 Salt with Compression Lock (G-10)
14%
SE H1 Civilian 2 Salt with Compression Lock (FRN)
10%
SE H1 Civilian 2 Salt with Back Lock (G-10)
11%
SE H1 Civilian 2 Salt with Back Lock (FRN)
13%
PE LC200N Civilian Salt with Compression Lock (G-10)
10%
PE LC200N Civilian Salt with Compression Lock (FRN)
1%
PE LC200N Civilian Salt with Back Lock (G-10)
1%
PE LC200N Civilian Salt with Back Lock (FRN)
4%

Total votes: 70

ZrowsN1s

Civilian 2 "Salt" Poll Continued..

Post by ZrowsN1s »

So this is only a Slight tangent from the Original Poll, because the overwhelming interest in the original poll and subsequent polls seems to be for some kind of Civilian 2 "Salt"....

So this poll is a straight head to head between the different Salt options. Vote for wave, and your first and second choice for handle and lock combo. I'll do another poll without Salt option in the near future, as people had expressed interest in a PE version as well.

This is the 5th Poll in our series of Civilian 2 Polls, "Salt" Poll Continued..." Here our links to our other Polls :D
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=74772Poll 1 General
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=75038Poll 2 Lock Type
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=75050&p=1159933#p1159933Poll 3 Edge Type/Finish/Wave
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=75086Poll 4 The "Salt" Poll

Please be on the look out for future Polls! :D
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
ZrowsN1s

Re: Civilian 2 "Salt" Poll Continued..

Post by ZrowsN1s »

Interesting results so far. Was there a Salt option I didn't list that you wanted to see? Obviously if I wasn't limited to 10 options the poll would be larger.

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

OK I just voted but probably not the vote many of you would want me to. First of all I've never up to now ever been a fan of the Emerson Wave>> although I'm a fan of Ernest Emerson and have met the guy on two occasions but the wave never really did anything for me personally so I voted NO on that one.

IN the Spyderedged ( SE) category I voted for the one with the compression lock along with the H-1 Salt option>> however I can still live with the original lockback.

In the plain edged category I also voted for the compression lock with the LC200N blade steel option. I've just never been a fan of H-1 in plain edge.

Now I will go on record as to say that I've always been far more of a fan of the MATRIARCH model than I was the Civilian. But I would love to see both models with much thicker blades.
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

I really should have put a combo edge LC200N on the list, but combo edges didn't get much love in the last edge type poll, so I left it off. Glad to see a fair number of you like the PE LC200N idea, SE H1 is still the clear favorite it seems though.

ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

Surprising how split the wave vote is. I thought there would be a clear preference.

Afterman

Post by Afterman »

These polls are always so close. :)

A bit off-topic here regarding the Civilian's family members. Why do we have separate names(Matriarch) for what's essentially an Endura with a different blade shape? It'd be like calling the wharnie Delica a completely different name. Why not change the Cricket/'Lil Matriarch/Matriarch 2 into 'Reverse S' blade variants of the Ladybug/Delica/Endura?

I remember a recent Lil Matriarch thread had some saying it sold poorly because it was marketed as a self defense blade. But many enjoyed it's blade shape for it's EDC benefits. Attach it to these mainstream models and hype it up as a Spyderco designed EDC blade shape. You'd have the same base buying them, along with those who got warded off by the self defense talk, and of course collector's of these more mainstream models, who need to have every single one.
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

Here's a quote from 'The Deacon' from an old Spydie Thread... "If memory serves, the Matriarch was made at the request of Spyderco's South African distributor and was mean as a defensive knife for the ladyfolk, hence the Matriarch name. Used what was, at the time, the Endura handle, that's still found on the Pacific Salt. Had a relatively short run, since Sal, to his credit, did not want them easily available in the USA.".

When these came out, the tips on these knives and the steel used did not lend themselves to EDC use, because once they became dull (or you broke the tip off) they were no longer effective for their main purpose, self defense. This is speculation on my part, but it seems that at the time Spyderco did not wish to make a knife marketed ONLY as a weapon and that was cheap enough to be bought by anyone, to be widely available here in the US. Public perception could have hurt the company, and I don't know about you, but I take comfort in the fact that most criminals probably aren't carrying a knife as nice as a Spyderco.

Now large pocket knives are pretty common and the idea of using knives as a Self Defense tool is a much more widely accepted practice. The Matriarch 2 with emerson opener remains the best/most affordable self defense option for people.

I hope eventually the entire line Civilian, Matriarch, Lil Matriarch, all get an overhaul. These knives NEED to be able to do EDC (and need emerson waves too :D ).

Tell me a redesigned for EDC S30V or Maxamet PE Lil Matriarch with an Emerson Wave wouldn't sell. Or a SE H1 version for that matter?

ThePeacent

Post by ThePeacent »

I also voted for PE LC200N (want to try this one for sure) and SE H1 (as I have experience and very good opinion on that one), I don't care for the compression lock or liner locks and I like both FRN and G10, but in both cases my preference is for a liner-less design, I've grown very fond of the light weight of my Salts
vivi

Post by vivi »

IMO Waved FRN/H1 would be the ideal expression of this design.

H1 has better toughness than most steels, so on a design with a more fragile tip it just makes sense. Edge retention shouldn't come into play as much on a Civilian so even PE H1 should get the job done.

FRN makes it more affordable than G10 while not really offering any practical drawbacks.

Wave makes it more suitable for its intended purpose.

Lockbacks appear to be cheaper to construct than compression locks, are considered fully ambi by all (I think comp locks are too but others disagree, e.g. lefty Para 2 talks), and have a superior self close.

Personally I'd take a spyderhawk run over a Civilian, but if they made an FRN/H1/lockback Civilian I'd definitely pick one up, wave or no wave. I'd also buy a Matriarch 2 in H1, the VG10 is the only thing that's held me back. Normally I love VG10 but for serrated edges ground so thin I value H1's toughness.
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

Vivi wrote:IMO Waved FRN/H1 would be the ideal expression of this design....

H1 has better toughness than most steels, so on a design with a more fragile tip it just makes sense. Edge retention shouldn't come into play as much on a Civilian so even PE H1 should get the job done.

FRN makes it more affordable than G10 while not really offering any practical drawbacks.

Lockbacks appear to be cheaper to construct than compression locks, are considered fully ambi by all (I think comp locks are too but others disagree, e.g. lefty Para 2 talks), and have a superior self close.

Personally I'd take a spyderhawk run over a Civilian, but if they made an FRN/H1/lockback Civilian I'd definitely pick one up, wave or no wave. I'd also buy a Matriarch 2 in H1, the VG10 is the only thing that's held me back. Normally I love VG10 but for serrated edges ground so thin I value H1's toughness.
I agree the FRN H1 waved version would be the big seller in the long run especially price wise. Although a compression lock would set it further apart from the Matriarch.

ThePeacent

Post by ThePeacent »

Vivi wrote:IMO Waved FRN/H1 would be the ideal expression of this design.

I'd also get a Matriarch "salt" in a heartbeat, I only got the Lil' matriarch because I wanted to try a Reverse S blade (which I loved, and want more of), and the only thing I could improve on it, to me, it's the steel.
H1 would be king for the added toughness, SE edge retention and cost.
G10 or FRN I don't care, whatever is cheaper, and I've grown fond of back-locks, I have no problem closing my Spyderhawk, Tasman, Lil' Matriarch or Pacifics with one hand. It's also cost--reducing, ambidextrous and reliable.

So yeah, +1 to your ideas Vivi, as we'd get an affordable, tough, versatile and rustproof Reverse S, the definitive one in my view :spyder:
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

Either a waved SE Tasman or an h1 waved matriarch. I'd love it!
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

How there isn't a Spyderco Salt with a "Wave" yet, I do not know ;)
.jpg

Afterman

Post by Afterman »

Let's get that compression lock Civilian 2 already!