What happened to ZDP-189??

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
StuttgartMadness

What happened to ZDP-189??

Post by StuttgartMadness »

So... Where did ZDP-189 go?? It seemed a couple years ago almost all the latest and greatest Spyders had ZDP steel on it. Now, it's just kinda... Stagnant. Nothing new has come out with it (I'd LOVE to see a Native5 in ZDP) Now it seems to have been almost completely replaced by S110V... Is there some giant functional difference between these two steels that caused the switch? Or is S110V just "in" right now?
Currently lusting after the PM2 in S110V... And the Para 3... And the Military... And pretty much everything else...

"A man without a knife, is a man without a life"
-Anonymous (This guy has some great quotes)
JRinFL

Re: What happened to ZDP-189??

Post by JRinFL »

It is still around in the Japanese models. Sal tends to stick with Japanese steels on Japanese made knives, US steels on US made knives. Taiwan will use any steel from anywhere it seems. So many steel choices these days so nothing stays on top forever.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
StuttgartMadness

Post by StuttgartMadness »

True dat... Despite it being a US model, I'd kill to see a Native in ZDP LOL
Currently lusting after the PM2 in S110V... And the Para 3... And the Military... And pretty much everything else...

"A man without a knife, is a man without a life"
-Anonymous (This guy has some great quotes)
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

ZDP is a Japanese steel and is offered in many regular production models. It is the regular production "upgrade" over vg10.

S110V is an American steel and in a similar way is offered as the regular production "upgrade" over S30V.

While the hype machine has moved on to newer steels with vanadium carbides instead of chromium carbides I feel as though ZDP is still well represented in the lineup.

Why is ZDP still well represented? My theory, whatever that's worth, is that Japanese culture values tradition and that Japanese culture desires different attributes in a steel. While they have their high alloy monsters like HAP40, Hap72 and CowryX they don't seem to be as hyped up over them. I theorize that they may enjoy high attainable sharpness and ease of sharpening over marathon wear resistance.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

ZDP was hot about 15 years ago. It's still a great steel but with exception to a few things (The Beatles, etc) obsession eventually settles into normality.

You will know it's on the way out when half a dozen Spyderco knives aren't available with it.
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

As others have said it's still available on many current production models. Stretch 2 g-10, Stretch 2 FRN, Dragonfly, Delica, Endura, there are still a bunch of caly 3.5's out there. I'd go for a ZDP native though. A zdp lum tanto would be fine with me as well. One of my favorite steels, I love how sharp it can get.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
bearfacedkiller

ZDP Centofante3 and 4 are long overdue... :D

Of course, HAP40 would be great too...
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
Eli Chaps

Post by Eli Chaps »

bearfacedkiller wrote:ZDP Centofante3 and 4 are long overdue... :D

A ZDP Delica Wharncliffe would be sweet as well. :)
awa54

Post by awa54 »

I like the way you think!
-David

still more knives than sharpening stones...
bearfacedkiller

Eli Chaps wrote:

Even if just a sprint run in the BRG it would be cool...
-Darby
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

bearfacedkiller wrote:
Eli Chaps wrote:

Even if just a sprint run in the BRG it would be cool...
A big + 1 on that! :D

Edit: I just purchased a Ladybug in ZDP-189 for my daily carry. I have a ZDP Manbug and love it for its slicey sharpness, so I'm eager to put the Ladybug to task to see how it will do.
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
tripscheck'em

Post by tripscheck'em »

StuttgartMadness wrote:So... Where did ZDP-189 go?? It seemed a couple years ago almost all the latest and greatest Spyders had ZDP steel on it. Now, it's just kinda... Stagnant. Nothing new has come out with it (I'd LOVE to see a Native5 in ZDP) Now it seems to have been almost completely replaced by S110V... Is there some giant functional difference between these two steels that caused the switch? Or is S110V just "in" right now?
It's just the marketing rollercoaster.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I would still absolutely love to have a Centofante 4 sprint in ZDP. Same with the Kiwi 4.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
munchs

Post by munchs »

Evil D wrote:I would still absolutely love to have a Centofante 4 sprint in ZDP. Same with the Kiwi 4.
I second that!
cangokaw

Post by cangokaw »

tripple that!