UKPK - Absolute perfection for me

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
foofie

UKPK - Absolute perfection for me

Post by foofie »

I've been waiting a few years for the new UKPK in s110v - and I can say it was definitely worth the wait! I actually liked the blue color of the scales, and I really liked the feel of the FRN. That said, I have been waiting to put the s110v blade into some natural wood.

The scales are Hawaiian koa from a third party. I was a little disappointed with the finish at first. I ended up wet sanding the scales with a little watco oil up to 2k grit, and they finally pop. I will also be the first to say that I have no photographic skills, and the chatoyance that makes koa so beautiful is just about impossible to capture in a picture (my excuse).

I know we all have different likes and needs in a pocket knife. All I can say is thank you to Spyderco and Sal for helping me realize this.
Liquid Cobra

Re: UKPK - Absolute perfection for me

Post by Liquid Cobra »

You sir, have excellent taste. The UKPK is easily one of my favourite Spyderco models. Those scales look great btw.
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
foofie

Post by foofie »

Thanks LC.
I noticed that three of your five most recently acquired are UKPK too. The tuning fork makes it so much better than the older non-G10 versions. Action is just about perfect now.
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

foofie wrote:Thanks LC.
I noticed that three of your five most recently acquired are UKPK too. The tuning fork makes it so much better than the older non-G10 versions. Action is just about perfect now.
Hahaha yeah. I perpetually buy UKPK's. I must have a sickness or something. Just bought another off eBay an hour ago. :rolleyes:
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
foofie

Post by foofie »

Liquid Cobra wrote:
Hahaha yeah. I perpetually buy UKPK's. I must have a sickness or something. Just bought another off eBay an hour ago. :rolleyes:
Good thing I know nothing about this addiction of which you speak :D
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

That is a very beautiful Spydie. Very nice job.
- best wishes, Jazz.
elena86

Post by elena86 »

Awesome job you did on that UKPK.One of favorites, ergos are perfect for my hand.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

Who made the scales? They look great.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

Very nice! I also have a Koa wood UKPK with red G10 liners made by Steve Ketchen, mine's the drop point S30V variety though. Cheers, Radioactive :)

It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
foofie

Post by foofie »

RadioactiveSpyder wrote:Very nice! I also have a Koa wood UKPK with red G10 liners made by Steve Ketchen, mine's the drop point S30V variety though. Cheers, Radioactive :)

Your koa UKPK is what inspired me. I asked Steve to make me a similar set - but he only does the ukpk with G10, not the frn version.

@Docdan - I had Cuscadi make the scales. They are the only ones I could find who will make scales for the frn version. They have an interesting and well thought out solution to the flat scales. They include two circular hard plastic discs - one for the far back on the tuning fork to anchor it into place, and one as a spacer under the clip. Both discs have a pin that hold them in place on the scales, to sidestep the molding on the inside of the frn scales. This is not a hard-use knife, so the pins are more than enough to hold everything in place on the scales.

If you like, I can disassemble and post pics.
utor

Post by utor »

that are very beautiful slipits in wood, i wanted to have one as well for a
long time - but had the idea it should be possible to make my very own.

i think the urban is easier to mod then the ukpk. no extra pieces are
needed there. i just finished this mod and i will post some more pics
in the "show your mods"-thread later. i took me alot of time but i am
more than happy with the outcome. it is acompletly other knive and
much more classy like this. now i wait for the patina on both blade
and wood...

foofie

Post by foofie »

I agree Utor.
Ted Phillips has a thread on a bunch of his wood handled knives. His favorite was also the urban, mostly for ease of fitting I believe. Can't' wait to see what you have created.
utor

Post by utor »

yeah i know ted`s mods, and they were also very inspiring. even if i prefer more defined contours and not the uberergonomic look of the very rounded scales he (mainly) makes. i put a few more pictures in the "show your mods"-thread now.
D1omedes

Post by D1omedes »

Although I am more inclined to say the Caly 3 is the perfect knife, I am a big fan of my UKPK S110V. I'd love to see Spyderco to continue to offer the UKPK in super steels (Maxamet, M390, XHP, etc). I know I'd definitely buy one of each.