Para 2 as EDDC

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
fivesense

Para 2 as EDDC

Post by fivesense »

I plan to pick up a Spyderco Paramilitary 2 to use as my everyday defensive carry knife. I have a Military now and love it but now want the 4-way capability of the Para 2 clip.

First, I've read about the "drag" of the DLC coating when slicing but I think that applies more to food prep. Is it a practical consideration for EDDC? I doubt it so I suppose it comes down to aesthetic and corrosion resistance. My Military is satin and I love it but I do like the Black DLC on the Para 2.

I'm debating the digi camo vs. the black handle but as this EDDC will double for when I'm wearing my suits for business, the black handles will disappear better in my pocket.

Lastly, what is a comparable and perhaps better consideration for EDDC in this category? Although I'm pretty confident the Para 2 fits the bill, I'm open to suggestions.
WCC

Re: Para 2 as EDDC

Post by WCC »

I carry both the Military and PM2s - I like both. The Military is fantastic with the longer blade and I love the PM2 with compression lock. You can't go wrong with it. Re the DLC blade, I love the coating and would prefer that in a EDC blade.
Can't wait for the Millie with compression lock, camo handle and DLC blade. :)
fivesense

Post by fivesense »

WCC wrote:I carry both the Military and PM2s - I like both. The Military is fantastic with the longer blade and I love the PM2 with compression lock. You can't go wrong with it. Re the DLC blade, I love the coating and would prefer that in a EDC blade.
Can't wait for the Millie with compression lock, camo handle and DLC blade. :)
Thank you. I think I am leaning toward the DLC coating for an EDDC. Would you feel prepared with the Para 2 in a defensive situation?

I guess my question is somewhat ridiculous because I know I feel adequately prepared with my Military- the Para 2 isn't that much different. Plus, I carry a firearm; if I need to defend myself with a knife there's probably legitimate cause to draw my firearm!

However, when I travel somewhere by plane, I don't always go through the hassle of taking my firearm. So if I'm on business somewhere, my first and last resort weapon will be a knife.
mb1

Post by mb1 »

If you're talking purely defense backup, there are several options purpose built for this: Civilain, Matriarch 2, Karahawk, Yojimbo, Reverse, Pkal, and I'm sure others I've forgotten.

For me, knives as self defense tools are pretty far down the list (like last), so I carry EDC blades for utility value. It's something like this for me in order of priority:

Your brain - awareness and avoidance
You feet - GTFO
Pistol
Sword or big stick
Rocks
Knives
- Mark

"Don't believe everything you think." -anonymous wise man
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

fivesense wrote:I plan to pick up a Spyderco Paramilitary 2 to use as my everyday defensive carry knife. I have a Military now and love it but now want the 4-way capability of the Para 2 clip.

First, I've read about the "drag" of the DLC coating when slicing but I think that applies more to food prep. Is it a practical consideration for EDDC? I doubt it so I suppose it comes down to aesthetic and corrosion resistance. My Military is satin and I love it but I do like the Black DLC on the Para 2.

I'm debating the digi camo vs. the black handle but as this EDDC will double for when I'm wearing my suits for business, the black handles will disappear better in my pocket.

Lastly, what is a comparable and perhaps better consideration for EDDC in this category? Although I'm pretty confident the Para 2 fits the bill, I'm open to suggestions.
It would be pure negligence on my part to not recommend the Yojimbo 2. Purpose built for Self Defense, it is a great utility knife.
I usually either carry a Yojimbo2 or s110v PM2 for SD.
Yo2 (2).jpg
20161227_135931 (2).jpg
The all black karahawk is worth a mention too.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
fivesense

Post by fivesense »

mb1 wrote:If you're talking purely defense backup, there are several options purpose built for this: Civilain, Matriarch 2, Karahawk, Yojimbo, Reverse, Pkal, and I'm sure others I've forgotten.

For me, knives as self defense tools are pretty far down the list (like last), so I carry EDC blades for utility value. It's something like this for me in order of priority:

Your brain - awareness and avoidance
You feet - GTFO
Pistol
Sword or big stick
Rocks
Knives
Amen.Considering I've got 1-4 covered and am always on the look out for whatever blunt object is in my vicinity, we're down to knives, hence my original question.

I'll take a gander through your suggestions.
fivesense

Post by fivesense »

ZrowsN1s wrote:
fivesense wrote:I plan to pick up a Spyderco Paramilitary 2 to use as my everyday defensive carry knife. I have a Military now and love it but now want the 4-way capability of the Para 2 clip.

It would be pure negligence on my part to not recommend the Yojimbo 2. Purpose built for Self Defense, it is a great utility knife.
I usually either carry a Yojimbo2 or s110v PM2 for SD.
Yo2 (2).jpg20161227_135931 (2).jpg

The all black karahawk is worth a mention too.
Yojimbo 2 looks like a nice companion.

Out of curiosity, why the S110V over the S30V for defense?
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

S110v has a little better edge retention and is a little more stainless. And I really like the Blue/Purple G-10.

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
fivesense

Post by fivesense »

ZrowsN1s wrote:S110v has a little better edge retention and is a little more stainless. And I really like the Blue/Purple G-10.
Those are the reasons I almost bought the S110V but I've read so many real world application reviews that suggest S110V edge retention isn't true. Has your experience been different?
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

^I've heard people say the edge retention is better than maxamet. I can say it is definitely on the high side.
Here is a link to a good thread on the subject //forum.spyderco.com/viewtopic.php?t=67530
Last edited by ZrowsN1s on Sat Jun 17, 2017 3:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

fivesense

Post by fivesense »

ZrowsN1s wrote:Here is a link to a good thread on the subject //forum.spyderco.com/viewtopic.php?t=67530
Thank you- I'd researched that thread last night. Lots of good info.
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

It took me a few tries to really get it sharp (I think the difficulty sharpening speaks to the edge retention qualities), but once I did, it has stayed that way for a long time. I may be wrong, but I also think s110v has more toughness and impact resistance to rolling and chipping than s30v.

mb1

Post by mb1 »

FWIW, the Matriarch 2 is hard to beat for value. I believe it's the cheapest of the bunch I listed. I keep one in my car since I'm not allowed to have a pistol even in the car where I work. It's a great knife.

I've had a Karahawk. I really liked it, but didn't like the visibility of the ring sticking above the pocket. The new all black would draw less
attention. But they are also thin enough to carry deep pocket (not using the clip). And to boot, a Hawkbill makes a pretty dang good edc blade too.

Just a few thoughts...
- Mark

"Don't believe everything you think." -anonymous wise man
fivesense

Post by fivesense »

ZrowsN1s wrote:but I also think s110v has more toughness and impact resistance to rolling and chipping than s30v.
(I love your signature by the way! :D )

I've read just the opposite but again, I have ZERO experience with the S110V. I'm not one of those who rails against new super steel, and as mentioned I had the Para 2 in S110V in my cart. The price isn't in any way prohibitive either. For me, knowing how good S30V is, and how easy it is to sharpen, these were the ultimate deciding factors.

That said, I'd still be glad to have the Para 2 in S110V. I'd just need to read more positive reviews like yours to pull the trigger.

Anybody else have a great experience with the Para 2 specifically, in S110V?
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

fivesense wrote: (I love your signature by the way! :D )

twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

Why not get a waved Endura? Or just carry a fixed blade? If you will only use this as a SD blade it could be in 8cr since you won't use it for day to day tasks. The Endura has a dedicated trainer by the way, and yes you should get that too.
fivesense

Post by fivesense »

twinboysdad wrote:Why not get a waved Endura? Or just carry a fixed blade? If you will only use this as a SD blade it could be in 8cr since you won't use it for day to day tasks. The Endura has a dedicated trainer by the way, and yes you should get that too.
Endura is a nice option. Not a huge fan of the pocket hook.

I carry fixed most of the time when I'm not in business casual clothing.
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

Unless you will be cutting more than 20 people at a time, I would say edge retention on any of the steels that the PM2 is offered with would suffice for self defense purposes.
fivesense

Post by fivesense »

chuck_roxas45 wrote:Unless you will be cutting more than 20 people at a time, I would say edge retention on any of the steels that the PM2 is offered with would suffice for self defense purposes.
Truer words were never written! :)
fivesense

Post by fivesense »

Is the little Spyderco emblem on the blade a different color if the blade is black coating vs. DLC? In looking at various images online, I see different color emblems (one grey and the other white) and I assume it must be because of the different coating. Perhaps it's just different lighting in the images? Any ideas?