Casey Lynch Short Clip vs. MXG Gear Short Clip

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
EmperorMA

Casey Lynch Short Clip vs. MXG Gear Short Clip

Post by EmperorMA »

I have the Casey Lynch Titanium Short Clip on my Para 3 and I love it. It provides a deeper carry than the factory clip (which I feel MUST be replaced on this knife) and it also allows much easier one-hand closing.

I think an even shorter clip (overall length) might be better on the Para 3, allowing even easier closing.

Does anybody have both of these clips and can tell me if the MXG is shorter? I cannot find specs on it anywhere.

I'd be perfectly happy keeping the Lynch clip on my Para 3. But if the MXG is shorter, I'd also be happy moving it my PM2.

I'd also like it if anyone with knowledge of either clip could provide general feedback. Thanks!
Wishlist: Delica 4 FFG VG10, Manix 2 LW XHP, Military 204P and S110V, Para 3 Cruwear and S110V, Paramilitary 2 (all versions), SpydieChef LC200N, Caribbean PE and Sheepsfoot SE

Procured: Caly 3.5 VG10, Dragonfly 2 LW VG10, Manix 2 XL S30V, Native 5 LW S110V, Para 3 S30V, Paramilitary 2 S110V
anycal

Re: Casey Lynch Short Clip vs. MXG Gear Short Clip

Post by anycal »

And how the heck did you get a Lynch clip? I've been trying for months.

MXG looks to be about 47mm.

Peter
Bdubs808

Post by Bdubs808 »

anycal wrote:And how the heck did you get a Lynch clip? I've been trying for months.
I have bought a bunch of the Lynch NW clips, here's how I do it. I bookmark the Lynch NW page on bladehq.com and check it at least once a day http://www.bladehq.com/?search=Lynch+northwest Almost always all the product is out of stock, until it isn't, which is when you buy a bunch at one time :D
anycal

Post by anycal »

I have email alert setup, and never received one. Guess I'll have to be more proactive

I'll give it a try. Thanks.
Peter
on_the_edge

Post by on_the_edge »

Never having had a Lynch clip, I do have an MXG that I am completely satisfied with. Is there a discernable difference between the two? If so, what is it?
EmperorMA

Post by EmperorMA »

on_the_edge wrote:Never having had a Lynch clip, I do have an MXG that I am completely satisfied with. Is there a discernable difference between the two? If so, what is it?
At least in the "short" versions, it would appear the MXG is a bit shorter. Anycal measures his MXG at around 47mm, my Lynch goes about 54mm.

That measurement alone makes me think the Lynch would be better on my PM2 and the MXG would do nicely on my Para 3.
Wishlist: Delica 4 FFG VG10, Manix 2 LW XHP, Military 204P and S110V, Para 3 Cruwear and S110V, Paramilitary 2 (all versions), SpydieChef LC200N, Caribbean PE and Sheepsfoot SE

Procured: Caly 3.5 VG10, Dragonfly 2 LW VG10, Manix 2 XL S30V, Native 5 LW S110V, Para 3 S30V, Paramilitary 2 S110V
EmperorMA

Post by EmperorMA »

anycal wrote:And how the heck did you get a Lynch clip? I've been trying for months.

MXG looks to be about 47mm.

Perfect. Just what I needed.

Looks like I need an MXG for my Para 3.

awa54

Post by awa54 »

I have an MXG short clip with the lower top arch height (doesn't overlap the lanyard hole) on the way from an Ebay seller who seems to stock most of their clips. I'll let you know what I think once it's had some pocket time.
-David

still more knives than sharpening stones...
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

anycal wrote:
Fri Jun 16, 2017 7:13 pm
And how the heck did you get a Lynch clip? I've been trying for months.
Contact Casey directly. I've done it several times now. I just received a DLC and a titanium sand washed clip from him yesterday. If you'd like, PM me for the details on how to purchase directly from him.

I won't buy the MX Gear short clips. I'm sure there's nothing wrong with them functionally. I just prefer how the short Lynch clip looks. The MXG clip looks like a duck bill. Lynch NW also makes a Para 3 specific clip that doesn't block the lanyard hole if that interests anyone. I don't use a lanyard so I prefer the regular one, again simply due to looks.

I'm also not sure why/how a shorter clip would make closing the knife any easier than the short Lynch clip. Are you sure you bought the short Lynch clip?
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

MXG has 2 short clips now. They now offer one that doesn't cover the lanyard hole on the para3. It is slightly longer than the other mxg short (or perhaps I should say it carries deeper)
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

I strongly prefer the Lynch clips (as many of you guys know well). Not too keen on the other maker’s version, given that they were copied directly from Casey’s original design (with no acknowledgement of that whatsoever). That doesn’t sit too well with me.
It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
mb1

Post by mb1 »

I got them both to try recently. The MXG is smaller in all dimensions, except the stock is slightly thicker. I like the lower overall profile of the MXG.

Lynch has the nod for overall appearance, and absolutely has the edge in customer service. What a nice guy. Lifetime guarantee and I had one in my mailbox 2 days after contacting him. He puts a lot of personal touches in his product and communication that really stand out. Rare to find that these days.

I put the MXG on my Rex Para 3 here, and the Lynch on a PM2:

- Mark

"Don't believe everything you think." -anonymous wise man
anycal

Post by anycal »

I actually like these other clips much better. That said, I gave up on deep carry clips other than in couple knives I need it on. These are two different depths,

Peter
toxophilus

Post by toxophilus »

I've found that the MXG round hole is easier to add/move to different knives, I get better contact with my torx bit due to the hole being wider. I prefer the MXG like anycal posted ^^^

I really like how these sit on the Manix 2 scales, they fit perfectly :spyder:
koenigsegg

Post by koenigsegg »

mb1 wrote:
Wed Sep 26, 2018 5:22 am
I got them both to try recently. The MXG is smaller in all dimensions, except the stock is slightly thicker. I like the lower overall profile of the MXG.

Lynch has the nod for overall appearance, and absolutely has the edge in customer service. What a nice guy. Lifetime guarantee and I had one in my mailbox 2 days after contacting him. He puts a lot of personal touches in his product and communication that really stand out. Rare to find that these days.

I put the MXG on my Rex Para 3 here, and the Lynch on a PM2:

I have both these clips as well. I agree that mxg clip was 10x easier to install the first time and for a while I swore mxg was better but I've started to really appreciate the Lynch clip lately. I think the ramp is better on the Lynch and it's easier to clip on thick pants. Can't really go wrong either way
S30V, VG10, M4, XHP, BD1, Cruwear, Elmax, Maxamet, 204P, H1, K390, A11, Rex45, LC200N, M390, 20CV, BD1N, S45VN waiting to afford MagnaCut
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

koenigsegg wrote:
Wed Sep 26, 2018 6:45 am
I have both these clips as well. I agree that mxg clip was 10x easier to install the first time and for a while I swore mxg was better but I've started to really appreciate the Lynch clip lately. I think the ramp is better on the Lynch and it's easier to clip on thick pants. Can't really go wrong either way
I might be wrong but I think Lynch has tweaked his design a little to make them easier to install. The few I've put on knives recently have gone on way easier. I don't know if he enlarged the hole but they've been a breeze to install lately.

EDITED: I removed my comment about shorter screws since I realized I always use the original screws from Spyderco.
Last edited by Sharp Guy on Wed Sep 26, 2018 8:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
koenigsegg

Post by koenigsegg »

I got so mad installing my lynch clip. I was about to send it back it was such a pain in the.. just getting the screws in the holes in the clip. He uses T5 screws which was also a bit annoying because I don't have a good T5 driver, I only every got down to T6 for Spyderco's. I'm sure the smaller screw is needed so the hole doesn't have to be slightly bigger. I'd like to try a new one see if it's easier to install.
S30V, VG10, M4, XHP, BD1, Cruwear, Elmax, Maxamet, 204P, H1, K390, A11, Rex45, LC200N, M390, 20CV, BD1N, S45VN waiting to afford MagnaCut
RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

In every single package of Lynch clips I’ve ever received (aside from the crazy anodized ones that Steve at Blades We Love sells), Casey includes a pack of extra screws and an Allen wrench specifically for them. On that pack, it says “just in case the stock screws don’t fit” meaning your stock screws will work 99% of the time. Casey has also revised the design to enlarge the hole a bit more because people can’t seem to mount them. I have dozens of his clips and have had very few issues with installation.

On top of this, if you had or have ANY issue, one can contact Casey for advice in mounting them, replacing them if necessary, and I’m sure giving refunds to those that for some reason can’t manage the install. As far as customer service goes, I can not think of any other EDC vendors with such amazingly high quality and communication.
It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
Deadboxhero

Post by Deadboxhero »

Not a fan of the boxy look on the Lynch clip. The mxg short has better flow.

I like how the regular mxg short clip carries. The MXG for the para 3 made exactly for the Para3 with the extension and slot cut for the lanyard hole is not my style.

Big Brown Bear
https://www.youtube.com/user/shawnhouston
Triple B Handmade Knives
roger-roger

Post by roger-roger »

Sharp Guy wrote:
Wed Sep 26, 2018 7:25 am
koenigsegg wrote:
Wed Sep 26, 2018 6:45 am
I might be wrong but I think Lynch has tweaked his design a little to make them easier to install. The few I've put on knives recently have gone on way easier. I don't know if he enlarged the hole but they've been a breeze to install lately.

EDITED: I removed my comment about shorter screws since I realized I always use the original screws from Spyderco.

Comparing pics with my old school Lynch, he also *might* have increased the radius of the bend for a slightly better torx contact angle (as well as for gaining initial thread to thread contact.

Just ordered two short clips from BHQ. Pretty stoked not having to go with an MXG, mainly because I don't want to experiment with its thicker stock.

68.5mm, btw.