Some pics of the new SALT 2 (Yellow SE)

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Fred Sanford

Some pics of the new SALT 2 (Yellow SE)

Post by Fred Sanford »

Hey folks,

I ordered this guy from GPKnives a couple days ago and it arrived today. I removed the clip, stripped the pain, and then heat anodized it since it's titanium. I love this thing. I used to have a couple of Salt 1's and Pacific Salts but I got rid of them all. I really wanted the new one since it is linerless but has the D4 handle. Great upgrade on an already awesome knife. It is already in the pocket.

The Delica 4 is a ZDP-189 model that I've had for a few years and I removed the hump from the tip and rounded the spine somewhat. It also has a pretty thin edge and is a monster cutter. The clip on the D4 I simply stripped the paint on and left it as is.

If you look close you can see that the new linerless Salt 2 is a bit thicker than the D4. It's really close to perfect. I will most likely grind the hump off of the tip of the Salt 2 as well and make it more of a splinter picker type tip. I really like to have a fine tip to do detail work.

Side note, having some Zima tonight. Last time I had that stuff was in college about 20 years ago. ;)

Enjoy...

"I'm calling YOU ugly, I could push your face in some dough and make gorilla cookies." - Fred Sanford
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Re: Some pics of the new SALT 2 (Yellow SE)

Post by Doc Dan »

That looks great. I am happy that Spyderco changed the handle shape on these knives. The Delica 4 fits my hand wonderfully.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Slumblor

Post by Slumblor »

Very nice, good job on the clip. I have one of these on the way and am excited to get my hands on it, I hope I like it as much as you do. I love the idea of a se salt delica 4, basically.
PM2 Cruwear, PM2 S35VN, PM2 S30V, Manix 2 LW S110V, Manix 2 LW CTS-XHP, Native 5 LW S35VN, Native 5 G10 S35VN, Mantra M4, Sage 5 S30V, Chaparral CTS-XHP, Stretch Hap40, Stretch VG10, Centofante 3 VG10, Delica 4 Hap40, Delica 4 ZDP 189, Delica 4 VG10, Dragonfly 2 VG10, Ladybug 3 H1, Caly3 ZDP189, Urban LW K390
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

Man that Salt looks "Roman nosed" compared to your moded D4
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

Oh and I hope this is PC enough but Zima was the girls' favorite back in college in the mid 90's. I bought tons of the stuff for dates back at Auburn. Good times, War Eagle!
WireEdge Roger

Post by WireEdge Roger »

Zima and Boone's Farm were the drinks of choice for the girls in my college :D

I like the Salt 2! I didn't realize the handle was substantially thicker.
Fred Sanford

Post by Fred Sanford »

twinboysdad wrote:Man that Salt looks "Roman nosed" compared to your moded D4
Hahahahahaha. I've not heard that in a while.

LOL. I'm catching heck from my buds as well for drinking Zima. I love the stuff.

"I'm calling YOU ugly, I could push your face in some dough and make gorilla cookies." - Fred Sanford
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

That does it, me, Lowry, and ROGER need a guys' weekend
Halfneck

Post by Halfneck »

Ugh, last time I had Zima was at Ft Sam during Combat Medic school. Night ended with us paying an ungodly sum to the taxi driver to do donuts on the parade field. Next few days we lived in fear.
elena86

Post by elena86 »

Post some pics after you remove the hump please.I intend to do the same with mine.

Post by 017 »

Last edited by 017 on Mon Jul 09, 2018 4:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Fred Sanford

Post by Fred Sanford »

twinboysdad wrote:That does it, me, Lowry, and ROGER need a guys' weekend
LOL. Yep. I think that would be a fun weekend.
elena86 wrote:Post some pics after you remove the hump please.I intend to do the same with mine.
Will do. I may do it this weekend.

017 wrote:Are the screws, pivot and threaded inserts titanium also?
Not sure. If I had to guess I would say no. I believe they are a high grade stainless. I think that they can make stainless steel that is very close to not ever corroding but I don't think it's that hard. <------ this is all just a guess so take that into consideration. :)
tonijedi

Post by tonijedi »

Thanks for the pics.
Nice to see that extra jimping on that backspacer.

Post by 017 »

Last edited by 017 on Mon Jul 09, 2018 4:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Fred Sanford

Post by Fred Sanford »

Here are a few pics of the modified tip. I didn't go as far as I did on the ZDP Delica due to the hollow grind. I just wanted to get the tip to look less like a sheepsfoot. I did the grinding by hand. Started with 80 grit and went to 150 grit and finished with 200 grit on a mouse pad. Took about 20 minutes.

on_the_edge

Post by on_the_edge »

Great job! I like it!

Question: Do you really think that taking it down as far as you took the D4 would significantly compromise the tip strength compared to where you are at now on the knife? I was thinking I might take mine all the way down to make it flat along the spine, but am still undecided.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Nice work on that tip, David.
David Lowry wrote:Not sure. If I had to guess I would say no. I believe they are a high grade stainless. I think that they can make stainless steel that is very close to not ever corroding but I don't think it's that hard. <------ this is all just a guess so take that into consideration. :)
I'm sure you're right. Back when the Mariner Salt came out and folks were wondering about the handle, I asked Sal what it was made of while at Blade Show. He didn't name the specific steel, but just said there are a number of extremely stainless steels out there which, while not suitable for blades, work quite well for other parts.

Have you ever seen rust on a piece of stainless flatware? I left a spoon sitting in a cup of beef bullion for a week once, not a speck of rust.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
tonijedi

Post by tonijedi »

The Deacon wrote: [...] Back when the Mariner Salt came out and folks were wondering about the handle, I asked Sal what it was made of while at Blade Show. He didn't name the specific steel, but just said there are a number of extremely stainless steels out there which, while not suitable for blades, work quite well for other parts.

Have you ever seen rust on a piece of stainless flatware? I left a spoon sitting in a cup of beef bullion for a week once, not a speck of rust.
I used to visit a WW2 German submarine on a dive spot close to where I live and although the entire submarine was almost gone the periscope is in great shape. No idea which material it's made of but it's shiny like steel and it's underwater for 72 years.
Fred Sanford

Post by Fred Sanford »

on_the_edge wrote:Great job! I like it!

Question: Do you really think that taking it down as far as you took the D4 would significantly compromise the tip strength compared to where you are at now on the knife? I was thinking I might take mine all the way down to make it flat along the spine, but am still undecided.
No, I don't. I think it would be fine. My main reasoning for not taking it down that far was the fact that I KNOW that I will hand this knife to 2 or 3 different buds at work from time to time. They are knife guys too, but they may not realize the tip thinness and I don't want it to break off. Honestly I did take the knife down a bit further after I took these pictures but I didn't take it completely flat. I just prefer the leaf shape over the completely flat shape.

The Deacon wrote:Nice work on that tip, David.
David Lowry wrote:Not sure. If I had to guess I would say no. I believe they are a high grade stainless. I think that they can make stainless steel that is very close to not ever corroding but I don't think it's that hard. <------ this is all just a guess so take that into consideration. :)
I'm sure you're right. Back when the Mariner Salt came out and folks were wondering about the handle, I asked Sal what it was made of while at Blade Show. He didn't name the specific steel, but just said there are a number of extremely stainless steels out there which, while not suitable for blades, work quite well for other parts.

Thanks Paul. No joke man, I've not ever seen kitchen cutlery rust. LOL :)

That's cool to know that Sal said that the hardware was SS.
Fred Sanford

Post by Fred Sanford »

A few more pics. Since the last pics, I took the spine down a bit more but kept it somewhat curved so that it looked a bit like a Caly 3 blade. I couldn't do this with the Delica because there is not enough "hump" to make it work. I also polished the spine. This is turning out to be a real favorite of mine quickly.

I know how much we all like pics so hopefully nobody minds. ;-)