Why is the Domino so overlooked as an edc ?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
elena86

Why is the Domino so overlooked as an edc ?

Post by elena86 »

I carried and used a Domino for the last two weeks or so and I am amazed how ergonomic this folder is, but not only that: it's very thin behind the edge, it sports an awesome blade steel and flips like a dream.So, why is it so overlooked :confused:
jdw

Re: Why is the Domino so overlooked as an edc ?

Post by jdw »

I think that you nailed it with "flips like a dream". I think that there are a lot of Spyderco fans who just don't like flippers.
Last edited by jdw on Thu Jun 15, 2017 12:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Do right always. It will give you satisfaction in life.
--Wovoka
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

It was the hottest thing available when it first came out. Lately it probably has to do with all the bearing/flipper haters trash talking them.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

jdw wrote:I think that you nailed it with "flips like a dream". I think that there are a lot of Spyderco fans who just don't flippers.
I am one. I don't even flick my knives. I am pretty much into back locks, FRN, and sprint steels. I know that is boring but strong detent is simply a must for me.
Cujobob

Post by Cujobob »

Some people don't like the scales, others question Spyderco's flippers or don't like flippers in general. The domino is a nice little knife, but I rarely ever pocket mine. I prefer stronger detents and the blade spine is a bit sharp. That's sort of nitpicking because by comparison with knives from other companies, it's quite a bit more ergonomic and has great steel that went through a proper heat treat. I just happen to have other Spydercos available.
palonej

Post by palonej »

I also wonder about this because the Domino, Southard and Advocate are my fave Spydies!
The Domino carries beautifully, excellent blade steel and profile, cool as heck and flips or flicks perfectly!!
Also slices like a demon!!
Joe
Attachments
IMG_2523.JPG
ronT2

Post by ronT2 »

Not overlooked here, it's been part of my rotation since last fall.

My EDC rotation: Kapara, Chaparral CF, Mantra, Sage 1, Sage 5, Dice, Domino, Gayle Bradley 2, PakkaDelica, Native CFF
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

If they came a little larger I would have been on board. When it was first shown I expected it to essentially be a flipper Manix 2 but it's a bit smaller. I struggled with deciding between it or the Southard and ultimately the Southard won me over.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
holeshot

Post by holeshot »

ronT2 wrote:Not overlooked here, it's been part of my rotation since last fall.

Me too, except mine has the black scales. It's an outstanding knife. :)
"No matter where you go, there you are"
Enigma

Post by Enigma »

I think the Domino is a fantastic blade, ergo's are superb, flips great.
dplafoll

Post by dplafoll »

I like a lot of things about it, but the standard scales are a dealbreaker. And I haven't had enough interest in it to pull the trigger on one of the sprint or exclusive versions just yet. And I am also undecided between the Domino and the Dice tbh. I like them both a lot.
Patrick LaFollette
Current: Dragonfly 2 ZDP-189, Chaparral 1, Techno 1, Delica 4 HAP-40, Dragonfly 2 HAP-40, Mantra 1, Ladybug Salt Hawkbill, Nirvana CPM, Endura 4 HAP-40, Sage 4, Para Military 2 CPM Cru-Wear, Sage 5, Caly3 HAP40, Sliverax, Lil' Nilakka, Chaparral Raffir Noble, Zulu, Manbug HAP40, Meerkat HAP40, Sage 1/Sage 2/Sage 3 CF, Introvert, Techno 2
arty

Post by arty »

It is a flipper and I don't want that in a Spyderco. The handle is more than 4.5" long, but the blade is 3.1" long. If I am going to use a knife with that long a handle, I want more blade length. I have Spyderco knives with 3" blades and much shorter handles. If I want a knife with a longer blade, I can get that with a similar handle size as the Domino, e.g. The Caly 3.5 has more blade and a shorter handle.
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I feel like the Domino and the Southard were both selling like hot cakes when they came out. I am surprised that BBS still has the 204P versions available. I think that they have just both been out for quite a while now so sales have slowed. If I was a flipper kind of guy I would take a Mantra over a Domino any day.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

The model line expands and shrinks constantly. I just don't think it's received the marketing due to that fact. Most of us have problems keeping all the names straight and we have dozens of Spyderco knives and thousands of posts ;),
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

I wish they would put that red thread carbon fiber on the new Manix 2 Back Lock!
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
KingRat

Post by KingRat »

I have zero flippers, because I think the spyderhole is the best folding knife opening mechanism, period. That being said, if they offered a 4 inch + blade flipper, I might just give it a try, provided it also had at least a regular sized hole.
timlara

Post by timlara »

No hate here! One of my top 5 EDCs no question.

Tim
JonesE

Post by JonesE »

Hi All, So this thread has been worming it way through my brain this past week. It has forced me to take another look at my Domino. I initially picked up mine over a year and a half ago. I got the blue weave lightening strike pattern and I have carried it off and on since then. Lately, I have found that I haven't carried it much. Like others have said, I really don't think of Spyderco when it comes to flippers, especially with this knife. However, I think that might be a plus when it comes to this knife. The detent is kind of week and I have been spoiled by other knife brands that have tuned theirs to be stronger and have better action in this regards. So, here is my point. The Domino is great in that you can flip aimlessly to your hearts content. This is what I do when I am stuck in traffic to pass the time. It is however, not a one trick pony. You have great access to the spyder hole and it flick open really easy as many of you know. This is great when you want to open the knife with more controlled and is useful when kids and non-knife folk are around. You have the best of both worlds.

Sorry for the long post. I vow to carry this great knife more often. RonT2, Joe, and Tim, thanks for the great photos.

JonesE
MMGRenovations

Post by MMGRenovations »

Evil D wrote:If they came a little larger I would have been on board. When it was first shown I expected it to essentially be a flipper Manix 2 but it's a bit smaller. I struggled with deciding between it or the Southard and ultimately the Southard won me over.
I actually found the domino to be really close in size to the Manix 2. So close that is what won me over. I find them to be almost identical in size the only difference was pocket clip area on the M2 sticks out a little more than the domino. Most of the time I use the choil on both knives so that little extra handle on the M2 doesn't make much difference, essentially they feel the same.
JonesE

Post by JonesE »

Hi MMGRenovations. Great observation. Both knives are similar in size. You could say, the Domino is a knife only Spyderco could make.

Welcome to the forum.

JonesE