Plain edged Native with DLC?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
embry386

Plain edged Native with DLC?

Post by embry386 »

Love Spyderco knives, enjoy browsing the forums and checking out everyone's sick knife pics, finally made an account to join in on the fun ^^

Got a question: Are there any plans for a Native 5 with a plain edge and the DLC coated blade? I'm very fond of the model and would love to buy a PE version (or two or three) to pair with my SE Native 5 EDC, but my EDC has the black blade and it would just irritate the heck out of me to buy a PE knife that doesn't match. I saw the pics of a sprint run of an earlier Native version that had the PE black blade, but that was from years ago and it'd be a nightmare trying to find one for sale (also they didn't have some other features I prefer, like a flat ground blade).

If there aren't any plans, can someone please tell me it's not entirely ruled out? xD I heard somewhere that, since Spyderco doesn't repeat sprint runs, and they've technically already done a black bladed PE Native, that that would rule out the possibility of any such knife being produced in the future. But, since their previous sprint run was using the earlier Native model, maybe this rule doesn't hold true anymore? (hoping intensely)

Right -- if anyone has any information on this, I'll be very grateful. Thanks

Re: Plain edged Native with DLC?

Post by 017 »

Last edited by 017 on Mon Jul 09, 2018 4:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

017 wrote:I've been curious about this, too. Incidentally, the Delica's and Endura's "suffer" the same fate.

Regarding the Sprint rules of no repeats, I don't think that includes whether the blade is coated and/or whether it's plain, serrated, or combination. I think it's just pertaining to steel type and scale colour. I could be wrong, but that's the way I've always inferred it.
Moot point in this case, since there would be no risk of anyone confusing a Sprint Run Native V Lightweight with a Sprint Run Native Lightweight, even if handle color, edge type, steel, and coating were identical.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
embry386

Post by embry386 »

Thanks for the replies guys. So it's not ruled out entirely, that's good to hear. Doesn't look like there are any specific plans to manufacture one (yet), so I guess I'll just have to keep a lookout.