Worth a warranty claim?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
ConspicuousConsumption

Worth a warranty claim?

Post by ConspicuousConsumption »

Hi all. So I used my new Manix 2 S30V to gently pry open a pistachio nut, and somehow the very tip broke and I got a small blade nick. I wasn't even doing this aggressively at all, and besides it's a tiny nut, not metal or something.

Do you think this is worth a warranty claim or just try to work it out? I'm new to sharpening but I have a SM and strop.
Photo May 28, 8 47 37 PM.jpg
The first time I saw a Spyderco was the early 90s at a knife shop in a mall. I can still see the SpydieHoles through that glass display cabinet. My parents wouldn't buy any of them for me... so now I buy them all. :spyder:
Sharp Guy

Re: Worth a warranty claim?

Post by Sharp Guy »

Personally, I wouldn't bother to send it in. It'll sharpen out eventually. You can send it in to Spyderco and have them resharpen it if it really bothers you but it's not worth the trouble IMO.

BTW, I don't think something like this would actually be covered under warranty. So it may cost you something to have it repaired. I'd suggest giving the Warranty & Repair Dept. A call to see what they say.

https://www.spyderco.com/service-suppor ... ty-repair/
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
farnorthdan

Post by farnorthdan »

Welcome to the forum ConspicuousConsumption, That should sharpen out pretty fast, I'd just use it, sharpen and repeat.
Happy to be part of this great forum and group of down to earth spyderco addicts, Thanks Sal and gang.
My Grails: Lum Tanto folder sprint, Sprint Persian(red), Captain, Manix 2 (M4), SB MT, PM2 M390, CF dodo, Manix2 (CF S90V),Manix2 XL S90V, Zowada CF Balance Rassenti Nivarna, Lil' Nilakka, Tuff, Police 4, Chinook 4, Caly HAP40 52100 Military, S110V Military, Any/All PM2 & Military sprints/exclusives I can get my grubby hands on :) :spyder: :) :spyder: :)

"We may look curious, homely, whatever, but we'll never be called unusable or undependable."
ConspicuousConsumption

Sounds good, thanks for the advice. I hate dealing with shopping stuff so this is probably for the best.

Do you all think I should get the diamond rods for the SM? Or will the medium grits do the trick over time?
The first time I saw a Spyderco was the early 90s at a knife shop in a mall. I can still see the SpydieHoles through that glass display cabinet. My parents wouldn't buy any of them for me... so now I buy them all. :spyder:
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

That wouldn't be worth the postage to me.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
SG89

Post by SG89 »

I chipped my zdp189 Manbug opening pistachio nuts and I just sharpened the chip out with the sharp maker.
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I'm certain someone on here chipped an edge while cutting a loaf of bread. Can't remember who that was but true story lol.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

Aww nuts. I hate when that happens. Good news is a chip that small should sharpen out in one or two sharpenings, and now since you have to sharpen out a chip anyways you don't have to worry about keeping the edge pretty, you can put it to work.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
Cheddarnut

Post by Cheddarnut »

Welcome to the forum. Knives are for paper cutting tests, not prying silly. But thank u for being honest :)

Post by 017 »

Last edited by 017 on Mon Jul 09, 2018 4:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

I've stopped worrying about chips. If it chips it chips. Just sharpen and use.
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

I've stopped worrying about chips. If it chips it chips. Just sharpen and use.
I have to agree with this. Same with scratches, stains and even a bit of corrosion. When they add up to enough of a problem or I just have extra time I perform maintenance on my knife above the regular cleaning and stropping.
ConspicuousConsumption

Thanks for all the great feedback! I actually have a personal motto around material objects, since I tend to buy pretty expensive stuff in general (I'm a big "buy once, cry once" type, within reason). My motto is "it's not yours until you **** it up." But I'm pretty new to the knife collecting and obsessing world, so I haven't applied that yet. I'm working on it.

I'm going to keep using this sucker a bunch and then sharpen it when it needs it.

Also, I might've had a few beers in me when I decided to pry that pistachio nut... so whatever.
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

Also, I might've had a few beers in me when I decided to pry that pistachio nut... so whatever.
:)

Welcome to Spyderco forum.

Joe
sal

Post by sal »

Hi ConspicuousConsumption,

Welcome to our forum.

sal
Wanimator

Post by Wanimator »

I took my very top off sharpening recently. Just gonna let it sharpen out.
Mr Danger

Post by Mr Danger »

On a pistachio related note, you can use an empty shell to pry open the shells that have red loctite in them. Works every time.
Sharp knife / hairless arm.
paladin

Post by paladin »

chuck_roxas45 wrote:I've stopped worrying about chips. If it chips it chips. Just sharpen and use.
same here-- unless it's the tip, I'm a little OCD about the tips...

I've even got to the point with edge chips that I continue to use it until it's dull and ONLY THEN do I try to grind out the little chips...I don't even worry about grinding em out if the edge is still cutting well...I'm not that OCD...why waste good steel on the remainder of 99.9% of the edge if your blade is still performing, you know?
What is truth? Pontius Pilate
Wanimator

Post by Wanimator »

I always twist after a slight stab to open Pistachio nuts, more control and less tip stress.
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

paladin wrote:
chuck_roxas45 wrote:I've stopped worrying about chips. If it chips it chips. Just sharpen and use.
same here-- unless it's the tip, I'm a little OCD about the tips...

I've even got to the point with edge chips that I continue to use it until it's dull and ONLY THEN do I try to grind out the little chips...I don't even worry about grinding em out if the edge is still cutting well...I'm not that OCD...why waste good steel on the remainder of 99.9% of the edge if your blade is still performing, you know?
I just use them until I feel they need sharpening. I just sharpen without taking the chips out unless they affect cutting badly. I no longer let my OCD waste steel and my time. :D