Worth a warranty claim?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
paladin

Re: Worth a warranty claim?

Post by paladin »

chuck_roxas45 wrote:
paladin wrote:
chuck_roxas45 wrote:I've stopped worrying about chips. If it chips it chips. Just sharpen and use.
same here-- unless it's the tip, I'm a little OCD about the tips...

I've even got to the point with edge chips that I continue to use it until it's dull and ONLY THEN do I try to grind out the little chips...I don't even worry about grinding em out if the edge is still cutting well...I'm not that OCD...why waste good steel on the remainder of 99.9% of the edge if your blade is still performing, you know?
I just use them until I feel they need sharpening. I just sharpen without taking the chips out unless they affect cutting badly. I no longer let my OCD waste steel and my time. :D
Exactly!
What is truth? Pontius Pilate
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

I'd sharpen it out and carry a small Leatherman (like a CS) or mechanics screwdriver. Having a small pry bar/Philips is very handy.
Water Bug

Post by Water Bug »

As others have noted, what you've shown in your photograph will eventually "sharpen out" during "as needed" sharpening tasks... in other words, don't sharpen your knife just to remove the nicks. They'll disappear over time as you use and sharpen your knife.
ConspicuousConsumption wrote:Sounds good, thanks for the advice. I hate dealing with shopping stuff so this is probably for the best.

Do you all think I should get the diamond rods for the SM? Or will the medium grits do the trick over time?
In answer to this question, the Medium (Brown) and Fine (White) Spyderco Tri-Angle Stones that come with your Spyderco Tri-Angle Sharpmaker will, over time, work just fine for your particular situation... if you maintain your edge, the Brown and White Stones will take care of your needs. The Spyderco Diamond Tri-Angle Stones are indeed a good investment for use when the edge of your knife gets really dull... they'll remove more steel in less time to get you to a good starting point where the Brown and White Stones can do their jobs of refining the edge.
Spyderco WTC #1044

“Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it.” George Santayana, The Life of Reason: The Phases of Human Progress, 1905 to 1906

NEVER FORGET!!!
ConspicuousConsumption

Post by ConspicuousConsumption »

Water Bug wrote:
In answer to this question, the Medium (Brown) and Fine (White) Spyderco Tri-Angle Stones that come with your Spyderco Tri-Angle Sharpmaker will, over time, work just fine for your particular situation... if you maintain your edge, the Brown and White Stones will take care of your needs. The Spyderco Diamond Tri-Angle Stones are indeed a good investment for use when the edge of your knife gets really dull... they'll remove more steel in less time to get you to a good starting point where the Brown and White Stones can do their jobs of refining the edge.
Thank you, sir. I'm going to just use this sucker for a while and then sharpen it when needed. I'm really a light user so I may have to find excuses to use the Manix. I'm a boring office worker so the opportunities are slim to none, except for food prep really.
The first time I saw a Spyderco was the early 90s at a knife shop in a mall. I can still see the SpydieHoles through that glass display cabinet. My parents wouldn't buy any of them for me... so now I buy them all. :spyder: