China > Golden ?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
qazy

China > Golden ?

Post by qazy »

I had a chance to handle China made Spyderco; Resilience model.
I was pleasantly surprised.
The opening and closing felt smoother and much creamier compared to Golden models (PM2 and Milie).
G10 was countered compared to sharper edges on Golden models, which felt right. Also the texture of G10 was smoother. Less grippy but more pleasant to touch.
Openning click is less sharp though, I am on a fence about this. Both are nice.

I think Golden factory can borrow few tricks from China.
FCM415

Re: China > Golden ?

Post by FCM415 »

:eek:
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Well I've let it be known on several occasions that I have an ultimate affinity for the models made in GOLDEN, CO USA Earth>> those are my ultimate top picks. Second I dearly love the Japanese made Spyders and I own many. I find the quality of both of those manufacturing plants to be my top 2 and I doubt if anything is going to change anytime soon.

I'm an American and will probably always gravitate toward American made products. And i just like the Golden CO USA models the best. But the Japan made units really impress me as well.

I've had a couple of the Taiwan made units and there is nothing wrong with them per se but I just like the GOLDEN and Seki units the best.
Drahkis

Post by Drahkis »

I second that :eek:
Manalishi

Post by Manalishi »

The tenacious I have is a nice knife for the money,Well made.However on my example the g10(black) is not near as grippy as my golden paramilitary2 which I like The extra traction.So I see agree that the China spydercos have a smoother g10..The action on mine is nice but not as nice as my Taiwan or USA spydercos...Plus the fit and finish is not as clean.The grind on mine was not very uniform.Good bargain,not up to Goldens or Taichung quality though.Imho
ZMW

Post by ZMW »

I like my persistence, amazing value! Blade centering is a bit off. I would not say it is higher quality then my PM2, but China offers amazing value. I seem to like the Japan FRN models the best for some reason
ejames13

Post by ejames13 »

Third :eek:
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

This forum really​ needs a popcorn smiley.

All SE all the time since 2017
~David
ABX2011

Post by ABX2011 »

OP, I disagree with you completely.
China is capable of making some very high end knives. Notably there are a few Chinese companies selling top quality (and expensive) knives produced in China.
As for Spyderco's Chinese made knives. They are budget knives. They offer a lot of value but they are a step down in quality from Golden, Taichung and Seki City.
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

Nice try. No.
qazy

Post by qazy »

I wonder how many have actually read the OP.
I have never mentioned the build quality or performance. This is something I can not speak of. I only have this knife for a week until the father's day. I am not going to be using the knife that will be given away.

But I would love to see the same level smoothness of action and G10's quality/finish on Golden Spydercos. Honestly, Milie and PM2 are subpar in comparison. And I love both of em.

P.S. Looks like some people take other's observations and opinions like a personal insult.
elduderino04

Post by elduderino04 »

I can't speak for others, but I'm not sure anyone is insulted by your OP. Rather, it simply runs counter to almost everyone else's experience with Spyderco quality. Most will agree that Taiwan or Golden are the best as far as "quality" (though that term is of course subjective), and China is at the bottom. This is not to say that the Chinese knives are low quality, but they are made for a budget and there will not be the same level of finishing on them.

You seem to prefer smoother G10 whereas others prefer more texturing. Again, there is nothing wrong with this, but neither is "better," it is purely subjective.

Regardless, I for one am glad to hear that your expectations were exceeded, and am not surprised that Spyderco's chinese partner puts out quality knives.
pftbahaa

Post by pftbahaa »

The quality may be better in isolated cases but overall the quality produced by Golden does out class that of the Chinese factory. That being said it just isn't always true. A Chinese knife can and quite often will be better than an American knife of similar price. That's just due to the general lower cost in labor and material in China. Meanwhile we Americans will pay more for something made in states even at the expense of good quality.

In the case of Spyderco, however, it does appear that Golden is much better at QC and produces a better product. In the end all Spydercos are of high quality and paying more attention to country of manufacturer over the value of the design itself will just cost a consumer the opportunity to own some sweet stuff.

Their loss. I love all knives! :)
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

Looks like someone thinks disagreement is getting insulted. :D
PineChaos

Post by PineChaos »

I bought my first Chinese Spyderco long after already owning models from every other factory. My first thought was that the quality is strikingly similar to Golden, or at least Golden spydies from 10+ years ago.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

It is possible that it's much easier to put a mirror polish on the tang of an 8Cr13MoV blade than on the tang of the higher end steels used in Golden. That might account for the perceived "buttery smooth" feel. As for the G-10, most folks seem to prefer the rougher texture, but some don't.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
bh49

Post by bh49 »

JD Spydo wrote:Well I've let it be known on several occasions that I have an ultimate affinity for the models made in GOLDEN, CO USA Earth>> those are my ultimate top picks. Second I dearly love the Japanese made Spyders and I own many. I find the quality of both of those manufacturing plants to be my top 2 and I doubt if anything is going to change anytime soon.

I'm an American and will probably always gravitate toward American made products. And i just like the Golden CO USA models the best. But the Japan made units really impress me as well.

I've had a couple of the Taiwan made units and there is nothing wrong with them per se but I just like the GOLDEN and Seki units the best.
Joe,
I am with you on this.
Roman
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
Fred Sanford

Post by Fred Sanford »

ABX2011 wrote:OP, I disagree with you completely.
China is capable of making some very high end knives. Notably there are a few Chinese companies selling top quality (and expensive) knives produced in China.
As for Spyderco's Chinese made knives. They are budget knives. They offer a lot of value but they are a step down in quality from Golden, Taichung and Seki City.
^^^ This.

**** no. I have had plenty of Golden models and had 3 models from China. The QC is good but they don't even compare to the Golden, CO. models.

Seriously? Come on folks. There are dudes on this forum that have owned plenty more than I have....but I've owned probably close to 200 different Spydies. The China models are good...but do not compare to Golden.
"I'm calling YOU ugly, I could push your face in some dough and make gorilla cookies." - Fred Sanford
anagarika

Post by anagarika »

I owned Resilience but not Para or Military. Have handled my friend's para.

Resilience action is more 'velvety' than Para 2 'silky'. The G10 slab edge is more rounded than Para 2, and texture is indeed smoother.

They are different. Until I get to feel Military G10, and since they're on same range of size, I'd say I like Resilience action and more rounded edge - smoother G10 compared to Para 2. It's subjective. The velvety feel might be because of double layer of washers on each side of Resilience.

The lock click is less crisp indeed if compared to GB1.

All these (including handle shapes/ergonomics, blade weights, etc.) are influential in the feel of a knife. Again, feel is subjective.
I like Manix 2 Blurple though. :D but even more the Seki FRNs. :cool:
Chris :spyder:
FCM415

Post by FCM415 »

Nah, this forum has grown thick skin having to deal with dogs from time to time.

From the responses, people just disagree. Some more than others but no one seemed to have been insulted and insulted you in return.

It's good to hear that youre happy with your Chinese model, many people are. Including myself.