Name your best bang for your buck spydie readily available

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
SG89

Name your best bang for your buck spydie readily available

Post by SG89 »

*S110V UKPK. Awesome steel, awesome knife, perfect office edc, I don't miss the lock. Sub $85
*Manix 2 lightweight CTS XHP. A nice go between if you don't want BD1 but also don't want S110V or s90v or their higher price. Sub $90.
*Hap40 Manbug. Best pound for pound Spydie in a steel that stays sharp a long time. Sub $55.

Maybe this thread could help those new to spyderco make some decisions on what their next Spydie should be :)
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
vivi

Re: Name your best bang for your buck spydie readily available

Post by vivi »

IMO you can't beat the Cara Cara in FRN. 20$ for one of the most ergonomic folders on the market. Excellent grind, great clip, steel is good enough to get the job done in all but the most extreme cases.

I carry a Pacific Salt because I'm happy paying an extra 50$ for rust proof properties, but in terms of a dollar / performance ratio the Cara Cara wins for me.

I think a lot of people sleep on it. Slap a round hole on it and upgrade the blade steel and it'd be Spydercos best folder. I think its the most comfortable, refined expression of the Delica / Endura / Police lineage to date.

It's my go to Spyderco for gifting to friends and family. Meadowlark for those with smaller hands, same story.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

Delica, Endura, (FRN and Salts) and the CTS-XHP Manix 2.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
gingerninja

Post by gingerninja »

The Gayle Bradley 2
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

H1 Dragonfly, lw Native 5 s35vn, ZDP Delica. All top shelf knives for under $100
*edit the "Salt" series is a better answer
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
anagarika

Post by anagarika »

Vivi wrote:IMO you can't beat the Cara Cara in FRN. 20$ for one of the most ergonomic folders on the market. Excellent grind, great clip, steel is good enough to get the job done in all but the most extreme cases.

I carry a Pacific Salt because I'm happy paying an extra 50$ for rust proof properties, but in terms of a dollar / performance ratio the Cara Cara wins for me.

I think a lot of people sleep on it. Slap a round hole on it and upgrade the blade steel and it'd be Spydercos best folder. I think its the most comfortable, refined expression of the Delica / Endura / Police lineage to date.

It's my go to Spyderco for gifting to friends and family. Meadowlark for those with smaller hands, same story.
Totally agree with you.
Endura / Delica for extra smooth handle and VG10 for better corrosion resistance. And the ease of disassmbly for cleaning (until the maker of Cara Cara stop using that **** of a thread locker).
Chris :spyder:
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

I have owned a whole bunch and my answer is broken down this way:
Golden- Native 5
Seki-Dragonfly ZDP 189
China- Tenacious family
Tai Chung- GAYLE Bradley 1
Italy- Pingo
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

But the GB1 ^^ might be the greatest value ever produced by Spyderco
gunmike1

Post by gunmike1 »

Vivi wrote:IMO you can't beat the Cara Cara in FRN. 20$ for one of the most ergonomic folders on the market. Excellent grind, great clip, steel is good enough to get the job done in all but the most extreme cases.

A lot of people sleep on the Byrds but they are good knives. I had one of mine Rockwell tested at 61.5 RC by Phil Wilson. They take a very good edge and hold it very well for my purposes since I usually sharpen my knives before most people would.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

There are two really old school Spyders that I've thought for years were very reasonably priced and have both endured some very punishing jobs. I'm speaking of the Stainless handled, ATS-55, full Spyderedged RESCUE model from the late 90s. Also i have a 440V, full SE NATIVE model that I got for a very modest amount and it's been a pitbull of a folder over the years. For no more money than I invested in both of those Spyderco models I've gotten a very huge return on that investment. Also both of those models I'm still using for rough jobs.

I could also include any of my H-1 Salt models in that same comparison.
bpahk

Post by bpahk »

For pure value, any of the current offerings in s110v or maxamet. Even just a few ago, you'd be hard pressed to find anything in those steels at less than 5x what they're selling for now (with exception of the forum native). The lightweights like native manix ukpk especially are amazing value.
ThePeacent

Post by ThePeacent »

stole my words! For a Spydie I was gonna say the Pacific

for all the Brands' products I'd have voted the Cara Cara 2, I got mine new for $16!

thinner, lighter, slicier and sturdier than most options in the market today at 20-30 dollars
dplafoll

Post by dplafoll »

Right now, I think it's a ZDP Dragonfly or Delica, or the basic Native 5. In a few months, it will be, without question, the Chaparral LTWT. That size, that design, that steel, for around the price of a regular Delica. Another candidate will be the Alcyone.
Patrick LaFollette
Current: Dragonfly 2 ZDP-189, Chaparral 1, Techno 1, Delica 4 HAP-40, Dragonfly 2 HAP-40, Mantra 1, Ladybug Salt Hawkbill, Nirvana CPM, Endura 4 HAP-40, Sage 4, Para Military 2 CPM Cru-Wear, Sage 5, Caly3 HAP40, Sliverax, Lil' Nilakka, Chaparral Raffir Noble, Zulu, Manbug HAP40, Meerkat HAP40, Sage 1/Sage 2/Sage 3 CF, Introvert, Techno 2
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

ThePeacent wrote:

I carry a Pacific Salt because I'm happy paying an extra 50$ for rust proof properties
stole my words! For a Spydie I was gonna say the Pacific

thinner, lighter, slicier and sturdier than most options in the market today at 20-30 dollars
You make a great point PEACENT because the H-1 Salt Series for all the wide range of different models designed for such a broad spectrum of jobs has the be the best overall bargain in the entire commercial knife market. All of the Hawkbill models should have an H-1 Salt version IMO. Also you could add Reverse S blades to that line up as well.
Nate

Post by Nate »

Lots of good responses, but I'll say K390 Urban sprint for the price of a standard Delica.
:spyder:
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

I consider the Tasman Salt one helluva bargain. The price is OK by me when weighed against what it does for me in the yard.
-Marc (pocketing an S110V Native5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
palonej

Post by palonej »

Without a doubt, for me, it's the Pac Salt in SE.
For ~ $80 I opened the box to a perfectly centered, rock solid, super smooth, incredibly sharp and fun flicking pocket chain saw that will out live me while being abused as my main work knife!!
I have many amazing Spydies, but for an all out working knife......for $80??? No brainer for me!!
Joe
Attachments
IMG_2502.JPG
on_the_edge

Post by on_the_edge »

My $.02 is a Ladybug Salt Hawkbill and here's why:

1. Very inexpensive;
2. It is an unstoppable machine that is perfect for opening any package, including cutting through straps and banding;
3. A small lanyard with a key ring followed by a mini carabiner and you are ready to go anywhere and have extremely easy, quick access to the knife;
4. With it setup as above, in hand, it feels very comfortable in hand, and is as useable/practical as any full size knife;
5. It easily "disappears" in your pocket, on your keyring, attached to your belt, etc.;
6. It's as maintenance free as it gets; and
7. In case one cares, it's not going to raise any eyebrows with the public in use.
20170614_085501.jpg
20170614_085409.jpg
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

on_the_edge wrote:My $.02 is a Ladybug Salt Hawkbill and here's why:

1. Very inexpensive;
2. It is an unstoppable machine that is perfect for opening any package, including cutting through straps and banding;
3. A small lanyard with a key ring followed by a mini carabiner and you are ready to go anywhere and have extremely easy, quick access to the knife;
4. With it setup as above, in hand, it feels very comfortable in hand, and is as useable/practical as any full size knife;
5. It easily "disappears" in your pocket, on your keyring, attached to your belt, etc.;
6. It's as maintenance free as it gets; and
7. In case one cares, it's not going to raise any eyebrows with the public in use.

20170614_085501.jpg
20170614_085409.jpg
This is a good answer. Mine cut zip ties with ease a few weeks ago. Couple of pulls across the white stones and screaming sharp again. I love mine
425KRS

Post by 425KRS »

The Cat G10 and the DragonFly 2
:spyder: