Name your best bang for your buck spydie readily available

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Igi964

Re: Name your best bang for your buck spydie readily available

Post by Igi964 »

Pacific Salt for job around water

Raffir Noble Chaparral for a gentleman folder

S110V Military for everything else :-)
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

If I had to throw all my Spydies into Mount Doom except for one it would be the FRN Stretch.
Eli Chaps

Post by Eli Chaps »

Delica 4 in FRN and VG10 is extremely hard to beat as a bang-for-your-buck EDC knife. At sub-$70US you get a very capable knife in a small, light, durable package with a steel that although no longer vogue, is more than adequate for most users.

Pretty much any Seki City model is an excellent deal in my opinion. Depending on your personal preferences, the Dragonfly, Stretch 2 and Endura are all excellent knives that could easily be substituted for the Delica. I'm sure the same could be said for other models I just don't have the experience with them.

The Manix 2 Lightweight, even in BD1, is a fantastic knife and I think a great value. For me though, its size is the why I pick the Delica over it. Not that the Manix is huge, just that I personally have learned that I like a smaller knife for EDC.
Last edited by Eli Chaps on Fri Jun 16, 2017 9:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
spyderwolf

Post by spyderwolf »

Eli Chaps wrote:Delica 4 in FRN and VG10 is extremely hard to beat as a bang-for-your-buck EDC knife. At sub-$70US you get a very capable knife in a small, light, durable package with a steel that although no longer vogue, is more than adequate for most users.

Pretty much any Seki City model is an excellent deal in my opinion. Depending on you personal preferences, the Dragonfly, Stretch 2 and Endura are all excellent knives that could easily be substituted for the Delica. I'm sure the same same could be said for other models I just don't have the experience with them.

The Manix 2 Lightweight, even in BD1, is a fantastic knife and I think a great value. For me though, it's size is the why I pick the Delica over it. Not that the Manix is huge, just that I personally have learned that I like a smaller knife for EDC.
I second this.
Whenever there is any doubt, there is no doubt.
dreadpirate

Post by dreadpirate »

Urban in K390 while you can get them
Native 5 FRN
Delica VG10
Endura VG10
Manix 2 S110V
GarageBoy

Post by GarageBoy »

Tern - nice grippy g10 and decent steel for $20

Centofante - clean design- nice long vg10 blade for not much $ - was a steal at $45 a few years ago
SpyderEdgeForever

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

I personally would have to say it is a cross between use of my Pacific Salt, and, Endura 4. Though the Spyderco Byrd Cara Cara also gives me a very good bang for the buck. I gifted a Spyderco Rescue serrated-edge model to a friend who is a professional mechanic and also an Endura Foliage Green to another friend. Both of them told me these knives have become their everyday carry knives (the one replaced a worn-down classic folder with the Spyderco Rescue) and have been put to use in everything from garden work (removing weeds, trimming and pruning vegetables, fruits, and flowers, opening sacks/bags) to food preparation, and dozens of other cutting tasks. I guess those uses for those knives would qualify.

The mechanic told me he was absolutely and incredibly amazed at how swiftly the Rescue with the VG-10 stainless sheared/sliced through even tough fibrous materials, compared to his old classic folder and even other Non-Spyderco serrated knives he has used.
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

Evil D wrote:Value ultimately boils down to preferences and what you use an item for.

Another perspective on this is maintenance.
The "best bang for your buck" is obviously a general and personal perspective, especially when it comes to tools. Best for a collector isn't necessarily the same as best for a regular user. When I was on board ship in the Navy, most of the boatswains mates carried big, folding Case knives with a blade on one end and a marlinspike on the other. I had one too for a while. I switched to a fixed blade, probably another Case from the ship's store, because I didn't need a marlinspike and the thought of that big blade closing on my fingers was too often present in my mind. Later, being away from deck duties, I had a Swiss Army knife, which, wonder of wonders, I still have 54 years later. Working on the little farm in the Colorado mountains years later and on a summer long trip to Alaska and back I carried an early Buck Ranger, my first locking folder. Which I still have.

In the last few years I've had a number of classic and popular Spyderco knives. Having little discretionary money, I fund my Spyderco addiction by buying one, trying it out, and then selling to get another, so I've been fortunate to have owned a number of them. Living in southern Colorado and traveling to the Denver/Boulder area now and then I've also been able to spend time in the Golden Spyderco store. There is nothing like being able to actually hold and fondle knives you may be interested in and talking intelligently to actual knife people there.

These days, my best buy has been my Delica Wharncliffe. I've had a few Delicas and, being a knife user not a collector, liked everything about them except the blade shape. I agree with Lance that VG-10 is a great all-around use steel that sharpens well enough with the Sharpmaker and retains a good working edge for some time. FRN - nothing at all to complain about and much to laud. Steel liners. Light weight. Amazingly well done ergonomics (for me). But, I've been a Wharncliffe fan for years thinking it is the most versatile and useful blade shape for a knife that one carries each day.

When the Delica Wharncliffe was announced, I kept an eye out and when one came available from my favorite seller, Bladeswelove on eBay, I grabbed one and put my trusty Delica 4 up for sale. They passed one another in transit.

I habitually reach for the Delica Wharncliffe every day, whether going to work or just going about my personal business. It has never failed to perform well at the many and varied tasks I ask of it each day. And, for me, when I eventually lose it, which seems to be the eventual fate of all knives I carry daily, it won't hurt me financially like losing a $150 Spyderco would, and I know I would replace it immediately.

So, Spyderco's best "bang" for me is the Delica Wharncliffe.
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

http://acehotel.blog

Team Innovation
Midnightrider

Post by Midnightrider »

bpahk wrote:For pure value, any of the current offerings in s110v or maxamet. Even just a few ago, you'd be hard pressed to find anything in those steels at less than 5x what they're selling for now (with exception of the forum native). The lightweights like native manix ukpk especially are amazing value.
This. Spyderco is producing knives that are just beautiful. There's nothing like them at the price. I feel I got great values for my money with my Blurples and my Maxamet Native, even paying the traditional full pop customary in the EU. Being happy with your purchase and not feeling ripped off is what bang for the buck is all about.
EmperorMA wrote:Any blurple G10 S110V model is a great value. For some reason, all I've examined have been a stellar example of their model, with superb fit & finish, centered blade, very smooth action and super sharp blades from the factory. All this plus a truly super steel could easily command more $$$.

I only have one (PM2) but might get another because I know that whatever model it is, it will be an excellent example.
Yep! As soon as the Maxamet PM2 hits Lamnia I'm buying one. Better yet a Maxamet Millie! Dare to dream...
Igi964 wrote:Pacific Salt for job around water

Raffir Noble Chaparral for a gentleman folder

S110V Military for everything else :-)
Don't be sad... Cuz two outta three ain't bad :D

Funny we like the same stuff and we're neighbors ;) well I have no idea what the Chapparal is but I have the other two. I use the salt everyday for lunch at the office, I like not having to oil it and being able to throw it in the sink when I get home and wash it with the rest of the dishes. And the Blurple Millie is my EDC.
Last edited by Midnightrider on Mon Jun 19, 2017 1:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Millies in S110V, CTS-204p, REX 45, PM2/S110v, Native 5/Maxamet, P4/K390, Pacific Salt SE/H1, UK PK
Wants/Wishes (only NIB and EU): Militarys in 52100, Maxamet, Cru-Wear, Manix 2/Maxamet
Yes, Virginia, that's a Purple Haze in my suit pocket :)
Igi964

Post by Igi964 »

Funny we like the same stuff and we're neighbors ;) well I have no idea what the Chapparal is but I have the other two. I use the salt everyday for lunch at the office, I like not having to oil it and being able to throw it in the sink when I get home and wash it with the rest of the dishes. And the Blurple Millie is my EDC.[/quote]

That is cool. I carry Blurpre Military too and I love it.
What do you mean with neighbours? Where are you from?
jdw

Post by jdw »

K390 Urban. It's just an incredible steel in a very easy carry and user friendly design. For around 60 bucks it can't be beat IMO.
Do right always. It will give you satisfaction in life.
--Wovoka
gunmike1

Post by gunmike1 »

The S110V G-10 Manix 2 for $105 on Amazon is a great deal if you like G-10 and mega carbide steel.
Midnightrider

Post by Midnightrider »

Igi964 wrote: That is cool. I carry Blurpre Military too and I love it.
What do you mean with neighbours? Where are you from?
I live in the Czech Republic now, that's why we are neighbors!

Beautiful country, great people, great beer, and no knife laws! Just don't harm anybody and you carry and use whatever you like. My boss was totally cool with my lunch knife in the office.
Millies in S110V, CTS-204p, REX 45, PM2/S110v, Native 5/Maxamet, P4/K390, Pacific Salt SE/H1, UK PK
Wants/Wishes (only NIB and EU): Militarys in 52100, Maxamet, Cru-Wear, Manix 2/Maxamet
Yes, Virginia, that's a Purple Haze in my suit pocket :)