2018 Forum Calendar Contest!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
SpyderNut

Re: 2018 Forum Calendar Contest!

Post by SpyderNut »

jabba359 wrote:
ZrowsN1s wrote:So I've got a question, I've taken some pics with cellphone, I see the width is 5312 pixels and the height is 2988, how can I tell what the resolution is, my computer says 72dpi, but I don't know if this means the picture being rendered on the screen or the resolution of the raw image file. Here is a screen shot of the details on the cell phone camera, and here's a screen shot of the file after moving it to my desktop. (these are of course NOT my official submissions :D )
Screenshot_2017-06-15-12-43-13.png20170615_130302.jpg
Resolution of your photo is 5312x2988, no matter what the DPI (dots per inch) setting is. All dpi does is tell how large to physically display/print a photo based on that resolution.

Let's look at your height resolution of 2988. At 300 dpi, your photo would be about 10" tall (2988/300=9.96"). At 72 dpi it would be 41.5" tall (2988/72=41.5"). But either way, it would still contain the same number of pixels/dots, as dpi is just telling the display/printer how many of those 2988 pixels to cram into every inch of physical space.

If you need any assistance changing your dpi setting to conform to the requirements, send me a PM and I'll get you taken care of. It takes me about 10 seconds to change in Photoshop.
SpyderNut wrote:
tonijedi wrote:I understand very little of photography. Can the technical requirements be achieved with a normal mobile phone?
I believe it's certainly possible. I have an older digital camera (14 MP) that I've used in the past to submit pictures for this contest. However, a number of the newer cell phones today offer built-in cameras with MP's equal to or better than that. Please note that I'm no photo/tech guru by any stretch, so perhaps some of our techy folks here can weigh in. :)
A camera needs approximately a 9.3 MP sensor to achieve the required resolution. That said, a clean photo taken on a 7 or 8 MP camera can be upscaled a little bit to achieve the required resolution without any problem. If anyone is just a little short of the required resolution, I'm happy to help out with the upscale.
Thanks for the info, Kyle. I learn something new every day! :)
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

jabba359 wrote: Resolution of your photo is 5312x2988, no matter what the DPI (dots per inch) setting is. All dpi does is tell how large to physically display/print a photo based on that resolution.

Let's look at your height resolution of 2988. At 300 dpi, your photo would be about 10" tall (2988/300=9.96"). At 72 dpi it would be 41.5" tall (2988/72=41.5"). But either way, it would still contain the same number of pixels/dots, as dpi is just telling the display/printer how many of those 2988 pixels to cram into every inch of physical space.

If you need any assistance changing your dpi setting to conform to the requirements, send me a PM and I'll get you taken care of. It takes me about 10 seconds to change in Photoshop.
Thank you very much jabba359. Most appreciated. I suspected my image file was high enough resolution (my cellphone is 16mega pixels), the computer telling me it was 72dpi just made me question it for a minute. Thanks again for responding :spyder:
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
i am travvy

Post by i am travvy »

Can't wait to get out there and start snapping pics! Good luck everyone
KnOeFz

Post by KnOeFz »

Took the beautiful Mantra with me on vacation to Germany in May this year.
This shot was taken in the Harz mountains near a town called Altenau on a day hike with my girlfriend and dog.
We used the knife mainly to cut bread, cheese and sausages for lunch.
Out in nature is where my Spyderco's are at its best :)

Thank for the Spyderco team for organizing this contest :)
Really enjoy seeing peoples pics and think the community calendar is an awesome idea.
Goodluck to all who enter.

When the competition ends I may be away from home for a week so if I'm one of the lucky 12 my upload of the high-res image can be delayed by a week. ... hope that's no problem.
TheLoneWolf

Post by TheLoneWolf »

Took down it down wasn't in landscape.
Last edited by TheLoneWolf on Fri Jul 07, 2017 7:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

TheLoneWolf wrote:Spyderco Manix 2
My favorite knife from Spyderco. Great work horse. Has been thru alot of abuse and hasn't let me down yet. Just an after work shot of this beauty..
Nice photo! Just a friendly heads up that your photo has to be in landscape orientation for it to be allowed as an entry for the calendar. Right now it is in portrait.
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
dtoad

Post by dtoad »

My entry for this year's contest is the heart of my collection: the Spyderco Military. This knife is my chosen empire and is quite arguably known as the “Knife of the Century” by many fans in the industry. I am always seeking to expand my collection and am only just a couple away from cherishing the complete 20-year collection.

This selected photo was the result of a recent Instagram poll and, while I enjoy many photos taken of this knife, this one specifically is a fan favorite. Thank you for the opportunity and for continuing this contest year after year.

Those Who Know Carry Spyderco!

DutchBlades

Post by DutchBlades »

Dtoad; if that won't win you a place amongst the lucky few, I don't know what will... Great composition!
A tiger has claws.
A wolf has teeth.
An eagle has talons.
We, have Spyderco.

Grails: Abalone Mini Mariner, Ti ATR, WTC, Ti Lum Tanto
dtoad

Post by dtoad »

DutchBlades wrote:Dtoad; if that won't win you a place amongst the lucky few, I don't know what will... Great composition!
Thank you sir, much appreciated. :)
jabba359

Post by jabba359 »

dtoad wrote:
DutchBlades wrote:Dtoad; if that won't win you a place amongst the lucky few, I don't know what will... Great composition!
Thank you sir, much appreciated. :)
Just keep in mind that this doesn't meet the requirements for aspect ratio, as this looks to be a perfect square and the calendar is a rectangle (at approximately a 1.27:1 ratio) At best, they'll have to chop off part of the top/bottom. I'd hate for them to disqualify it for not meeting the requirements.
TazKristi wrote:Only landscape formatted images will be considered...
-Kyle

:bug-red
Latest arrivals: Lava Flow CF DLC Para2, Magnacut Mule, GITD Jester

http://www.spydiewiki.com
dtoad

Post by dtoad »

Jabba359, Thank you, appreciated. I read into that completely different. It specifically says that cropping may occur to winning images. Image preview was submitted to the exact specifications. (width, & res). This is clearly not a Portrait formatted image.

No problem cropping the final printed image in any size or ratio needed for print. They typically crop to their liking once the winners are selected and the full size image(s) are recieved.

Thanks man...
TazKristi wrote:Contest Overview:
Only landscape formatted images will be considered and significant cropping/resizing may occur to winning images. All portrait formatted images will be disqualified.

• Image Preview (for posting on the forum)
Width: 960px
Resolution: 72
Last edited by dtoad on Fri Jul 07, 2017 11:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
ZesT

Post by ZesT »

Knife: Manix 2 LW CTS BD1
The Manix Lightweight is one the most iconic Spyderco designs, and now that I own one, I see why. I never baby this knife, and always carry it on rainy days because I know that it can take it. Whether I'm running errands or laying in the middle of the road, I know that I can count on my Manix 2 LW to perform.
Last edited by ZesT on Wed Aug 09, 2017 6:40 pm, edited 10 times in total.
"I can stop at any time."
plumlum

Post by plumlum »

Quality hangs with my bff
My Grandfather was a gentleman, and always carried a folder. It had faded green scales that I always loved and could never forget. This is a tribute to my favorite sypderco color- Foliage and the memory of my late Grandfather Frank. Dragonfly 2 and a ZDP Bob Lum, two of my trusty edc's.
"Sometimes you will never know the value of a moment until it becomes a memory" - Dr. Seuss :spyder:
Image]
Last edited by plumlum on Sat Jul 08, 2017 11:48 am, edited 2 times in total.
always looking for more lums :spyder:
ZesT

Post by ZesT »

How do you guys get your photos to show up that large?
TheLoneWolf

Post by TheLoneWolf »

Liquid Cobra wrote:
TheLoneWolf wrote:Spyderco Manix 2
My favorite knife from Spyderco. Great work horse. Has been thru alot of abuse and hasn't let me down yet. Just an after work shot of this beauty..
Nice photo! Just a friendly heads up that your photo has to be in landscape orientation for it to be allowed as an entry for the calendar. Right now it is in portrait.

Thnx bro for heads up. Didn't even pay attention to that..
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

Spyderco has the best Standard Production line-up in the business, but the Spydies that are nearest and dearest to my heart are the Exclusive and Sprint Runs. The Never Summer/National Fallen Firefighters Foundation Native 5 holds a special place in my collection and has become my most often carried Spyderco. Originally only available to current and former Firefighters, I was lucky enough to be able to purchase one through Spyderco when a very limited number of them were announced for sale to the general public on the Spyderco forum. They sold out quickly. The Dark Red FRN handles, beautifully done Never Summer logo, and N.F.F.F. logo on the reverse of the blade make this knife a work of art. The corrosion proof LC200N combo edge blade makes this knife a FUNCTIONAL work of art I can EDC anywhere. Whether it's in the Garage or at the Dinner table; rain or shine, snow, sand, or surf.

Forum Name: ZrowsN1s
Image: Never Summer in the Garage

*edit 8/10, posted better copy of original image, original submission otherwise unchanged.
Last edited by ZrowsN1s on Thu Aug 10, 2017 1:11 am, edited 7 times in total.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
Johnnie1801

Post by Johnnie1801 »

ZesT wrote:How do you guys get your photos to show up that large?
They're using photo hosting websites instead of attaching images here on the forum like you did :)
Currently enjoying Spyderco's in - S30V, VG10, Super Blue, Cruwear x4, CTS XHP, S110V x2, M4 x3, S35VN, CTS 204P x2, S90V, HAP 40, K390, RWL34, MAXAMET, ZDP 189, REX 45

Jon
ZesT

Post by ZesT »

I see, I didn't see the "User Assigned Image" thing so I was curious.
SjoerdS_

Post by SjoerdS_ »

Spyderco Techno

The Spyderco Techno is in my opinion one of the best examples of a modern knife. I chose the Techno because of its unique lines and comforting feeling that I get while looking at it and carrying it. Even though it's small size and friendly look, it still is a heavy duty tool that can take a beating and still perform. I chose to photograph the Techno in this weathered and worn industrial environment to accentuate the use that this knife has seen. Just like these iron plates the Spyderco Techno will get scratches and get beaten up, what it will not, is loose it's timeless design and impeccable functionality!

Thanks for the opportunity Spyderco Team. My first entry ever. Good luck all!

Sjoerd
(Instagram @sjoerds_ )

Last edited by SjoerdS_ on Fri Aug 11, 2017 2:45 am, edited 10 times in total.
SjoerdS_

Post by SjoerdS_ »

I cant get my picture big. how do you guys do that?