Salt Series UKPK

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Liquid Cobra

Salt Series UKPK

Post by Liquid Cobra »

Yellow FRN with LC200N!

Is it just me wishing for more ukpk models or would this actually be a good idea? This has been brought up before but it was probably with H1, perhaps LC200N is more doable.

The two steels currently available for the ukpk are pretty dang stainless already but Spyderco excels at giving us options, so maybe this could happen someday.

On the water I'd imagine you would need a locking blade, but surely not everyone carrying a salt uses it solely on the water. Would anyone be interested or have a need/want for such a knife? Thoughts as always are welcome!
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
murphjd25

Re: Salt Series UKPK

Post by murphjd25 »

I'd buy one in LC200N. I really like that steel!
Josh
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

I'd probably buy more than one in LC200N.
skeletor

Post by skeletor »

Of course, great idea! Any new UKPK will be much appreciated!
sailhand

Post by sailhand »

I would love one. I just got my ukpk in s110v and its great, it's possibly the most cutting power for the weight of any knife I own. Thanks to Sal and the team for another great knife. Lc200n in the ukpk would be brilliant. A dragonfly in lc200n would be great also. I have the never summer in lc200n and really like it, it performs will, sharpens easily ,is light and doesn't rust. Maybe just a little large for my tastes but a great blade nonetheless.
Afterman

Post by Afterman »

We should just come out and admit it. We want every knife in the catalog to have a Salt version. :)
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

Afterman wrote:We should just come out and admit it. We want every knife in the catalog to have a Salt version. :)
I'll settle for every steel used on the ukpk ;)
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390

@liquid_cobra
ThePeacent

Post by ThePeacent »

Afterman wrote:We should just come out and admit it. We want every knife in the catalog to have a Salt version. :)
finally someone said it.
SG89

Post by SG89 »

LC200N UKPK where do I sign up?
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

Spydergirl88 wrote:LC200N UKPK where do I sign up?
Here of course!

@liquid_cobra
awa54

Post by awa54 »

I have to say that although I love the UKPK pattern, the FRN versions just don't do it for me... I would take the thicker bladed, shorter handled Urban over an FRN UKPK any day, both for the better handle rigidity and the firmer backspring.

Now if we can somehow get the original pattern revived, with a thicker blade and thicker handle stock (and/or more rigid scale material) I'd sign up for *that* in LC200N!

I think my problem is that the Ti UKPK spoiled me on all the rest :(
-David

still more knives than sharpening stones...
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

awa54 wrote:I have to say that although I love the UKPK pattern, the FRN versions just don't do it for me... I would take the thicker bladed, shorter handled Urban over an FRN UKPK any day, both for the better handle rigidity and the firmer backspring.

Now if we can somehow get the original pattern revived, with a thicker blade and thicker handle stock (and/or more rigid scale material) I'd sign up for *that* in LC200N!

I love my classic UKPK's too but I think the new FRN version is fantastic. I actually like that the blade is thinner. Not sure what you mean about the rigidity of the handle on the urban vs the ukpk. Have you handled the new ukpk? The "lockup" on it is much stronger than it used to be.

@liquid_cobra
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

Liquid Cobra wrote:
I'll settle for every steel used on the ukpk ;)
UKPK would be a great "folding mule" especially for people in more restrictive jurisdictions.
Joris Mo

Post by Joris Mo »

awa54 wrote:I have to say that although I love the UKPK pattern, the FRN versions just don't do it for me... I would take the thicker bladed, shorter handled Urban over an FRN UKPK any day, both for the better handle rigidity and the firmer backspring.

I also own an oldschool FRN UKPK which is way too soft on the backspring and have owned the Ti version and own an G10 version which are both great like the new FRN version is as well, as good as the Urban which I might slightly prefer design-wise.

I'd like to try LC200N in a UKPK, might also be a good excuse to make a rescue style sheepfoot UKPK again? :D
awa54

Post by awa54 »

Liquid Cobra wrote:

I love my classic UKPK's too but I think the new FRN version is fantastic. I actually like that the blade is thinner. Not sure what you mean about the rigidity of the handle on the urban vs the ukpk. Have you handled the new ukpk? The "lockup" on it is much stronger than it used to be.
Maybe the FFG CTS-BD1 UKPK I have is an early production model, but it has only slightly more spring tension than my sabre ground BD1 variant...
Both of my UKPK LWs have a slight but noticeable amount of flex in the handle, when compared to the Urban LW or older G10 handled UKPKs.

I don't have a B&M dealer anywhere in my area to see a verified current production UKPK at and I'm not really interested in the S110V version, to me that steel seems to be more ideal in a large heavy duty knife. If an interesting Sprint materializes then I'll give the LW a try again, until then it'll be my Ti version and Urbans :D
-David

still more knives than sharpening stones...
vivi

Post by vivi »

Liquid Cobra wrote:On the water I'd imagine you would need a locking blade, but surely not everyone carrying a salt uses it solely on the water. Would anyone be interested or have a need/want for such a knife? Thoughts as always are welcome!
I'm rarely in water but I EDC H1 365 days of the year. My knives will often spend 8-12 hours a day soaked in sweat, and they often get used with dirty hands at work. Being able to rinse them out under a sink and let them air dry, without ever worrying about liners or pivots rusting...that's a game changer for me.

I'm all for expanding the Salt line-up. I'd buy a LC200N UKPK since I really enjoy the model and want to try out the steel.
Squawk

Post by Squawk »

Yes please! I'd really love to see that combo. But to be honest, i will take every new version of the UKPK and the Urban! :D
Mr Blonde

Post by Mr Blonde »

I've mentioned it a few times in the past, a rust-proof UKPK (or Urban) would make for an almost perfect travel knife. One you could take to town and the beach.
My Spyderco Pics & Reviews: www.spydercollector.com
Last website update: 4-01-2024 Instagram
ThePeacent

Post by ThePeacent »

I, like Vivi, am rarely in the water but EDC Salts every day of the year, no exception

they see soil, chemicals, sand, organic compounds, water from the irrigation systems...

and they cut plants, flowers and roots, getting stained and dirty from juices, fluids and substrates...

my best friends and the best steel for my everyday uses! I also dream of many Spyderco models in H1 or LC200N and would buy many of them in an instant if they were available in those steels :spyder:
BDNX

Post by BDNX »

Yup