Yard knife

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
arty

Yard knife

Post by arty »

What do you like to drop in your pocket when doing yard work? I am interested in a stainless steel (VG10, S30V, S35V, or another stainless steel) and prefer a back lock. I need to open bags of stuff (anything works here), but sometimes I want to slice a thick vine. I use something much larger if cutting heavy brush, not a pocket knife.
What do you use and recommend when you are out in the yard?
Sharp Guy

Re: Yard knife

Post by Sharp Guy »

Salt 1 SE and a Ladybug SE are almost always in my pocket when I'm working in the yard.

Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
pftbahaa

Post by pftbahaa »

My brother in-law most often uses his Manix 2 and there is now a backlock version so that I recommend. I would personally use a delica if I went with something with everything you're looking for.
me2

Post by me2 »

An old buck 110 in 420hc with a broken tip or a CS Kudu.
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

Lately, it's been the Manix2 Backlock. It's a yard work beast!
Robbob

Post by Robbob »

I got a great deal on some Rescues the other day. So far I've used one to cut small vines and branches like a mad man. It's got plant gunk all over the blade and I'm not going to bother even cleaning it off.

I'd recommend something in VG10 or H1 with a sheepsfoot, Wharncliffe, or hawkbill blade. The Rescue, Assist, Tasman Salt, Salt 1, Salt 2, and Pacific Salt would all work nicely.
mb1

Post by mb1 »

I find myself carrying a good ole carbon steel sodbuster more than anything for around the yard. But for a Spydie, my Millie gets some yard duty as well.
- Mark

"Don't believe everything you think." -anonymous wise man
Chinook3

Post by Chinook3 »

Any of the serrated salts would be my suggestion. The Pac Salt goes right through cactus and is excellent for cutting bags, twine and weed trimmer line. Then just rinse her down :)
My response is "Just because you can't see it, doesn't mean it isn't there, it just means you can't see it". Sal G.
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

H-1 SpyderHawk is my yard worker. The bad news is, they are out of production. The good news is, Sal says the wheels are turning on a new batch.
Able Dog

Post by Able Dog »

I've often used a Police + Delica combination in the yard.

The performance of SE H1 seems like a great contender.

W.O.T.W. - Way of the Wharncliffe
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

Serrated H1, take your pick. I like the pacific salt but the new salt 2 is really nice too.
Slumblor

Post by Slumblor »

I just got in from doing some yard work. Got the VG10 FRN Stretch in my pocket, my go to yard knife.
PM2 Cruwear, PM2 S35VN, PM2 S30V, Manix 2 LW S110V, Manix 2 LW CTS-XHP, Native 5 LW S35VN, Native 5 G10 S35VN, Mantra M4, Sage 5 S30V, Chaparral CTS-XHP, Stretch Hap40, Stretch VG10, Centofante 3 VG10, Delica 4 Hap40, Delica 4 ZDP 189, Delica 4 VG10, Dragonfly 2 VG10, Ladybug 3 H1, Caly3 ZDP189, Urban LW K390
dsvirsky

Post by dsvirsky »

yablanowitz wrote:H-1 SpyderHawk is my yard worker. The bad news is, they are out of production. The good news is, Sal says the wheels are turning on a new batch.
Same here. I made the sub-optimal choice of plainedge, so I also carry an old Rescue Jr. for cutting woody vines and such.

Definitely looking forward to picking up an SE Spyderhawk when the new batch is released.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Whatever Military I'm carrying, but if I had to stick with back lock it would probably be the new Manix 2 back lock. I've done some heavy brush clearing with both (well, with a Military and a Manix 2 Lightweight) and they both handled it just fine. It also depends on what I'm doing, if I'm ripping out vines or something then I like serrations, but for larger saplings I prefer PE.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

A PE Pacific Salt (now relegated to weeding because of PE H1's terrible edge-retention), and a SE Tasman Salt (nothing beats a hook for gathering fibrous material, or SE's elongated edge for separating fibers from their base) are my yard knives.

Absent these two, I'm not above using the knife in my EDC rotation (today, my patina'd M4 Manix2) to do yard work. Well, except for plunging it into the soil to remove a weed. And none of my knives substitutes for pruning shears...
-Marc (pocketing an M4 Sage5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
jstrange

Post by jstrange »

Pac Salt for sure.
:spyder: jstrange
Joris Mo

Post by Joris Mo »

SE Pacific Salt
gmhauy

Post by gmhauy »

abbazaba wrote:Lately, it's been the Manix2 Backlock. It's a yard work beast!
Same here, strong blade and comfortable handle make the Manix 2 BackLock a winner IMO.

Gerard
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

gmhauy wrote:
abbazaba wrote:Lately, it's been the Manix2 Backlock. It's a yard work beast!
Same here, strong blade and comfortable handle make the Manix 2 BackLock a winner IMO.

Gerard
Great knife. Great design.... but, it needs some handle rounding CQI real bad. When I cut hard with it, it just plain hurts because of the squared edges. So now, yet another knife mod in the pipeline. Big old pain. I didn't want to have to dismantle it.
- best wishes, Jazz.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

All SE all the time since 2017
~David