New Models Dropped: Salt 2, Fish Hunter

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
dplafoll

New Models Dropped: Salt 2, Fish Hunter

Post by dplafoll »

Thanks to Mark's Outdoors for their gracious knife counter as always.

Album link:
https://flic.kr/s/aHskWLa3hQ

Salt 2 PE/SE:
Well, it's a Salt with a Delica 4 handle... There's honestly not much to tell here really. They look and feel very nice, as you'd expect.

ImageUntitled by dplafoll, on Flickr

Fish Hunter:
Probably one of the most stabby Spyderco knives I've seen. To borrow a phrase from the inimitable Nick Shabazz, it's "very murdery". This is another Spyderco that's designed for a (relatively) niche use case, and is probably one of the very best options for it.

Patrick LaFollette
Current: Dragonfly 2 ZDP-189, Chaparral 1, Techno 1, Delica 4 HAP-40, Dragonfly 2 HAP-40, Mantra 1, Ladybug Salt Hawkbill, Nirvana CPM, Endura 4 HAP-40, Sage 4, Para Military 2 CPM Cru-Wear, Sage 5, Caly3 HAP40, Sliverax, Lil' Nilakka, Chaparral Raffir Noble, Zulu, Manbug HAP40, Meerkat HAP40, Sage 1/Sage 2/Sage 3 CF, Introvert, Techno 2
twinboysdad

Re: New Models Dropped: Salt 2, Fish Hunter

Post by twinboysdad »

Ha! Man, the PE one was gone when I got there at 12:45 or so today. I saw the Fishhunter and assumed it was an Aqua Salt with a yellow handle. You know they keep the fixed blades at the bottom, so hard to see well.
SF Native

Post by SF Native »

Thanks for the report, as always. Appreciate you keeping us up to date and what is available.
awa54

Post by awa54 »

Does the Salt 2 have stainless liners nested inside the FRN like a standard Delica, or are the scales linerless and the clip screw sockets done as inserts, like the Native 5 LW?
-David

still more knives than sharpening stones...
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

I've got a serrated Salt 2 on the way. Fish Hunter soon to follow.
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

awa54 wrote:Does the Salt 2 have stainless liners nested inside the FRN like a standard Delica, or are the scales linerless and the clip screw sockets done as inserts, like the Native 5 LW?
They are linerless. If you go to Wouter's pics you can see the ribbing on the inside of the handle instead of liners.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

Surfingringo wrote:I've got a serrated Salt 2 on the way. Fish Hunter soon to follow.
I'll be most interested in your review of the Fish Hunter, Fish Hunter! ;)
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
cabfrank

Post by cabfrank »

I'm excited about the new Salts, especially the Pacific Salt 2. The differences should be minimal though. The way I see it, it will be slightly longer and very slightly heavier, and it will have bi-directional, instead of volcano grip. It will come down to personal preference I suppose, but I'll want to have both.
elena86

Post by elena86 »

cabfrank wrote:I'm excited about the new Salts, especially the Pacific Salt 2. The differences should be minimal though. The way I see it, it will be slightly longer and very slightly heavier, and it will have bi-directional, instead of volcano grip. It will come down to personal preference I suppose, but I'll want to have both.
There is no Pac Salt2.Yet.
cabfrank

Post by cabfrank »

It's coming though, right?
olywa

Post by olywa »

Yellow SE Salt 2 on the way. Can't wait to compare it with one of my Delica 4s. I wonder if the backlock was updated? My Native 5 LW and Manix Backlock have set a pretty high bar.
jstrange

Post by jstrange »

Keep us posted!
:spyder: jstrange
Wanimator

Post by Wanimator »

The molded washers have much less friction than the first series. Much more refined.
roger-roger

Post by roger-roger »

Sweet design and ergonomics!

I'm thinking the new Fish Hunter is good for 50 lb on up. Hoping for a 3-3.25" Fish Hunter in the future. My spearfishing set up is down-powered for about a 35 lb limit, but its rare I'll go for anything over 10 lb, as I much prefer eating our smaller fish. Will continue using a titanium 3" knife in the meantime, as I really prefer to not carry any more blade than necessary.
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

roger-roger wrote:Sweet design and ergonomics!

I'm thinking the new Fish Hunter is good for 50 lb on up. Hoping for a 3-3.25" Fish Hunter in the future. My spearfishing set up is down-powered for about a 35 lb limit, but its rare I'll go for anything over 10 lb, as I much prefer eating our smaller fish. Will continue using a titanium 3" knife in the meantime, as I really prefer to not carry any more blade than necessary.
I understand your desire for a smaller fixed blade "fish poker" but I was pleasantly surprised at the Blade show that the current fish hunter is not oversized at all. I'd say the blade is just over 4 inches? I get lucky every now and then but I rarely catch anything over 30 pounds in the kayak. I will be using this on lots of 10-20 pound fish but even with that use I would still choose the current version over a 3". The fish hunter is a pretty specialized design as it is so it's hard for me to imagine that they would offer it in two sizes. Not trying to burst your bubble, but this might be as close as you get. (And I kind of think it will work well for what you're describing) I'll say this...it's significantly smaller in real life than it looks in pictures.
cabfrank

Post by cabfrank »

I guess I need one, or a Jumpmaster, not sure which. I don't hunt fish, or jump, but I don't have a fixed blade and these are the coolest I've seen. So, yeah, I guess I need one or the other, just because. Please, don't say I need them both. I just might.
NoFair

Post by NoFair »

Surfingringo wrote:I've got a serrated Salt 2 on the way. Fish Hunter soon to follow.
Going to freedive with it or boat use? It's on my "maybe" list, but I've got the Caspian for my safety use and a small stabby Omer knife for braining fish..
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

NoFair wrote:
Going to freedive with it or boat use? It's on my "maybe" list, but I've got the Caspian for my safety use and a small stabby Omer knife for braining fish..
Man, it's been 2 or 3 years since i've had on fins and a mask. I used to have some friends that would come down regularly to spearfish and I would take them to some of my spots but I just don't really go by myself. I do spike them sometimes on the kayak though. Especially when I've got something big and toothy gaffed that is too hot to bring in the kayak. I'll hold them against the side of the kayak with the gaff and slide a knife into the brain. You don't have a lot of leverage so something thin and stabby works best. This design should do well.

I did lose a big African Pompano the other day right at the kayak and he was disoriented from the ascent and was kind of upside down but slowly swimming downward. I grabbed the gaff and dove in after him. He started regaining his equilibrium at about 4-5 meters and I got two swipes at him with the gaff as he swam away. Missed on both. Does that count as spearfishing?? :rolleyes: :D
on_the_edge

Post by on_the_edge »

SE Salt 2 on the way!
NoFair

Post by NoFair »

Surfingringo wrote:
NoFair wrote:
I did lose a big African Pompano the other day right at the kayak and he was disoriented from the ascent and was kind of upside down but slowly swimming downward. I grabbed the gaff and dove in after him. He started regaining his equilibrium at about 4-5 meters and I got two swipes at him with the gaff as he swam away. Missed on both. Does that count as spearfishing?? :rolleyes: :D
It's close enough :D Only really large Wolffish that I feel a need to brain quickly before they try to take a chunk out of me here..