I'm officially over G10

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
twinboysdad

I'm officially over G10

Post by twinboysdad »

I am sure you guys are great with it, but put me down for FRN, Carbon Fiber, even Raffir Noble- but G10 does very little for me. I like smooth G10, and the Caly family is not bad. Benchmade G10 on the 710 is agreeable as well. I used to think a knife wasn't a classic until a G10 variant was made, but I just prefer my FRN knives now. Anyone else there yet? The new PM3 G10 is raspy as heck
ZrowsN1s

Re: I'm officially over G10

Post by ZrowsN1s »

Still a fan of G-10 myself, but I have definitely grown to love FRN.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
farnorthdan

Post by farnorthdan »

Still like G10, getting kinda sick of black though, colors and polished a big you betcha.
Last edited by farnorthdan on Fri Jun 09, 2017 5:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Happy to be part of this great forum and group of down to earth spyderco addicts, Thanks Sal and gang.
My Grails: Lum Tanto folder sprint, Sprint Persian(red), Captain, Manix 2 (M4), SB MT, PM2 M390, CF dodo, Manix2 (CF S90V),Manix2 XL S90V, Zowada CF Balance Rassenti Nivarna, Lil' Nilakka, Tuff, Police 4, Chinook 4, Caly HAP40 52100 Military, S110V Military, Any/All PM2 & Military sprints/exclusives I can get my grubby hands on :) :spyder: :) :spyder: :)

"We may look curious, homely, whatever, but we'll never be called unusable or undependable."
J32A2

Post by J32A2 »

Them pesky 1st world problems.
I'm good with g10.
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

I may a little weird but I like it all except smooth G10. I ordered a set of red G10 scales for my blacked out PM2 and was disappointed when I found out they were smooth. I ended up returning them. I recently bought a Caly 3.5 ZDP that has smooth CF and I like the knife so I'm learning to live with it.

I've been using a lot of knives with FRN at work lately. The K390 Urban LW and S110V UKPK LW work pretty well for me but I'm starting to realize that knives with more texturing are better for what I'm using them for. Native 5 LW and Delica seem to be pretty ideal. Today I used a Para 3 and it served me very well. My job will eventually become more administrative so having something with grippy handles won't be as important. Until then, if I know I'm going to working out in the shop a lot, I'll probably be grabbing something with FRN + bi-directional texturing or some peel-ply G10. During evenings and weekends everthing else will be fair game.
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
paladin

Post by paladin »

I'm with ya twins...But maybe for a bit different reason...

I'm a texture snob and I can't stand the texture of Spyderco G10...it's like fingernails on the chalkboard for me.

The coarser grit on other makers' handles don't bother me but the Spyderco texture gives me the hebbiejeebies... :eek:

That's why on my users I take my dremel or sandpaper to em or get em rehandled. I keep my collector models cherry...everything else goes under the grinder!
What is truth? Pontius Pilate
PayneTrain

Post by PayneTrain »

You're a mad man, TBD. You must be stopped!

Yeah, G10 can be sometimes TOO grippy and make drawing and pocketing kind of a pain, but once in my hand it feels pretty darn good. I vote to keep it, just in more colors. For crying out loud, why has no one made blue or Arctic digicam yet?!
"Be the person your dog thinks you are."
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

PayneTrain wrote:You're a mad man, TBD. You must be stopped!

Yeah, G10 can be sometimes TOO grippy and make drawing and pocketing kind of a pain, but once in my hand it feels pretty darn good. I vote to keep it, just in more colors. For crying out loud, why has no one made blue or Arctic digicam yet?!
Big +1 there.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
StuntZombie

Post by StuntZombie »

I'm there. I only have two knives left with G-10 (neither of them Spyderco). I'm finding I prefer FRN handles, especially ones that are linerless. They might not "feel" as nice as G-10, but they work just as well.
Chris

Haves: Lava, Delica 4 Sante Fe Stoneworks, Spy-DK x2,

Just say NO to lined FRN
Mako109

Post by Mako109 »

Still CF or G-10 for me.
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

I'm OK with G10, but I'm pretty much over carbon fiber. I'd rather see more micarta, polished, rough, whatever.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

I like G10, but I wish it had the bidirectional texturing moulded in like the FRN, does. It is heavy, though. FRN is really nice because of that BD texturing and it is light weight.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

I'm a huge fan of frn but I'm definitely not over g10. I like it all. ;)
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

StuntZombie wrote:I'm there. I only have two knives left with G-10 (neither of them Spyderco). I'm finding I prefer FRN handles, especially ones that are linerless. They might not "feel" as nice as G-10, but they work just as well.
Yes, linerless. I guess I could revise my OP and just say "Native 5 fully satisfies this guy"
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Nope I'd have everything in G10 if I had it my way with CF and polished G10 as options.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Ippon

Post by Ippon »

J32A2 wrote:Them pesky 1st world problems.
I'm good with g10.
:rolleyes: Can't say that was my first thought, but I defiantly agree. G10 is great. I like it on my knives that I actually get out and work with. It's comfortable, Spyderco's G10 doesn't destroy my work pants (does destroy jeans though... no experience long term with FRN and jeans,) and it's strong and solid feeling. I like it. Example, the Military and PM2 are perfect models for G10.

That's not to say I wouldn't appreciate more FRN, carbon fiber, micarta for options and variety. What I am saying though, is that I'd probably buy an FRN PM2, but mostly still use the G10. I'm hoping/expecting the FRN D'allara so that I can pick it up at a more affordable price point since it's more of a novelty for me, and there are also models that I would like to stick with G10, because they work. i.e. Lockback Manix 2, G10 seems like the perfect match.

Long story short, if that made any sense, is I'd love to see more options, but don't take away the option of having G10.
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

Big ol' FRN fan here. G10 is kind if boring. Maybe if we got some translucent stuff, or something.
- best wishes, Jazz.
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

Jazz wrote:Big ol' FRN fan here. G10 is kind if boring. Maybe if we got some translucent stuff, or something.
Oh no you didn't! Does FRN come translucent? That would be jaw dropping on a linerless model, like the N5
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

twinboysdad wrote:
Jazz wrote:Big ol' FRN fan here. G10 is kind if boring. Maybe if we got some translucent stuff, or something.
Oh no you didn't! Does FRN come translucent? That would be jaw dropping on a linerless model, like the N5

FRCP was originally shown in clear with the Manix 2 Lightweight but it never happened. I would buy that knife so fast. It was awesome.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

twinboysdad wrote:I am sure you guys are great with it, but put me down for FRN, Carbon Fiber, even Raffir Noble- but G10 does very little for me. I like smooth G10, and the Caly family is not bad. Benchmade G10 on the 710 is agreeable as well. I used to think a knife wasn't a classic until a G10 variant was made, but I just prefer my FRN knives now. Anyone else there yet? The new PM3 G10 is raspy as heck
Now this really baffles the **** out of me :confused: And to consider that you TBD are one of my valued allies for the immortal Sprint RUN G-10, C-60 Ayoob model :confused: And I thought that particular G-10 handle on the C-60 Sprint had progressed very well in quality over some of the past G-10 models. OK I'll admit that I also like Spyderco's newer Carbon Fiber blades and I'm really taken back by their NON-USE of Micarta :confused:

OK I know we all don't like the same things and thank GOD above Spyderco provides us a huge variety of different materials on their great quality knives. But I thought they were actually making progress with G-10. My recent acquisition of the "Blurple" PM 2, 110V and my idol worshiped digital camo M390 Military models both have excellent G-10 handles and some of my better new additions and I'm going to be putting the PM 2 in my rotation arsenal.

Hey Dude!!! What's got into you :rolleyes: :D ???