Anyone else surprised RFP carry is so common?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
vivi

Anyone else surprised RFP carry is so common?

Post by vivi »

I was out today and noticed a few people carrying pocket knives. All of them clipped to their RFP.

Also seems to be the most favored carry position online.

For me, its my 5th favorite spot to carry.

In order...

1. Clipped to my waistband behind either hip. (Especially larger folders)
2. Clipped to my side pocket.
3. Clipped to my back pocket.
4. Loose in my front left pocket (Small, light knives only. No bigger than Delicas)
5. Right front pocket.

For me IWB is worlds more comfortable. Especially when I'm doing something active like jogging, hiking or rock climbing. Running trails my knife bounces around much less IWB compared to pocket carry.

It completely eliminates the "pocket hog" issue. With RFP carry I'm much more selective about what I'll carry. For example a Manix XL is so wide I can't use that pocket for anything else, while a Police 3 is nice and slim. IWB width is a non-issue, the Manix carries great. Heavier knives aren't as noticeable compared to pocket carry.

Stays out of the way and frees up my right front pocket for my phone. Incredibly discreet and very secure. It's not gonna snag on something and come out of your pocket or bend the clip. Tougher to scratch things with my pocket clip.
attila

Re: Anyone else surprised RFP carry is so common?

Post by attila »

Ever since getting my Manix LW, I've been noticing how RFP isn't as convenient or comfortable with large knives.

For me, the rear pocket, carpenter pant pocket, or 1 o'clock IWB are preferable.
Have: old S30V Native, HAP40 Endura, ZDP DF2, S110V Manix LW, Cru-wear Para 3, SE H1 DF2, S90V Native 5, K390 Urban, SE Pac Salt, P.I.T.S., XHP Manix LW, SB Caly 3, B70P, PMA11, K03, Kapara, REX 45 Military, 154CM Manix LW, Swick, AEB-L Urban, KC Cruwear Manix, M390 PM2, Mantra 2, CruCarta Shaman, M390 Manix, K390 Police 4, S90V Manix LW, Rex 45 Manix LW, 20CV Manix, Rex 45 Lil’Native, Shaman, C208GP, Cruwear Manix, Cruwear Manix, M4 Chief, Z-max!!!

Want: SPY27, K490, Swick 5
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

I always have a larger knife in the right back pocket, and smaller in right front pocket. I don't usually put anything else in there, so it doesn't matter about space. Although, I like to put my hands in my pockets, and sometimes it annoys me. In the waistband just seems so weird and wrong (to me).
- best wishes, Jazz.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

I do not carry rear pocket, because, as a police officer friend once demonstrated to me, it is easy for a bad guy to come up behind you and take your knife.
I also do not clip my knives to my rfp, (it is illegal here), as I do not like to advertise. I drop mine down in the pocket sans clip. Carrying a really large knife, though, I will carry iwb, one side or the other front or rear. However, some big knives I drop in my pocket, too.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
jmh58

Post by jmh58 »

I carried RFP.. But when I started carrying a slippie and a 1 hander in the same pocket, I noticed the bolsters on the Trad were getting all scratched up from the clip.. Especially when in the seated position.. So now my 1 handers go into the RRP and the Trads in the RFP.. John
Not all who wander are lost!!!

Of all the paths you take in life...
Make sure some of them are Dirt!!! ;)
jayhawk

Post by jayhawk »

My EDC is a Dragonfly, so I carry in that little extra jeans pocket (within the RFP). When camping or working around the house, etc., I'll carry something a little larger in my left rear pocket. If I used a larger EDC, I could definitely see carrying IWB...it's convenient and discreet, and I when I carry a firearm it's IWB, so I have no problem with the comfort. The only thing that makes me hesitant is safety. Do you have anything to protect your body when carrying IWB? Do you carry tip up or tip down?
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I carry in my right rear pocket and have for years. Sometimes in a crowd I will move it to a different pocket or to IWB so it doesn't get pick pocketed but I don't find myself in crowds very often.

I have carried IWB at 3:30-4:00 a lot. I wear sweatpants or gym shorts a lot and IWB is the way to go there. I have never had any issues. I have jogged hundreds of miles like that, maybe thousands. In 2014 I ran over 1000 miles in one year. I never had any issues, surprisingly not even corrosion. It has never fallen out or come open.

I did find that IWB in that position while riding a bicycle would sometimes work it up a bit and I got worried about losing it so I would move it to more of an appendix position. Otherwise I find IWB at 1:00 uncomfortable.

I personally love carrying IWB.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
dplafoll

Post by dplafoll »

My first year of carrying a knife regularly, it was a DF2 in my rear left pocket. But now they all go RFP. Reasons: Ease of access by my dominant hand, and because I carry my car key on a pocket hook on a belt loop and dangling into the RR pocket, and the same on the left side with another keychain. LFP is my flashlight. I've very rarely if ever really had any issues with RFP carry.
Patrick LaFollette
Current: Dragonfly 2 ZDP-189, Chaparral 1, Techno 1, Delica 4 HAP-40, Dragonfly 2 HAP-40, Mantra 1, Ladybug Salt Hawkbill, Nirvana CPM, Endura 4 HAP-40, Sage 4, Para Military 2 CPM Cru-Wear, Sage 5, Caly3 HAP40, Sliverax, Lil' Nilakka, Chaparral Raffir Noble, Zulu, Manbug HAP40, Meerkat HAP40, Sage 1/Sage 2/Sage 3 CF, Introvert, Techno 2
Mako109

Post by Mako109 »

Nearly always IWB, I never reveal in urban environments. Only exception is when I go backpacking with a large 70L pack. IWB carry interferes with the comfort of my hip belt, so then it's RRP. As a matter of fact I don't like anything riding at the bottom of my front pockets, not even coins. I must be weird, eh whatever. In my RFP the only thing clipped is a car key and small flashlight hanging from a TEC Accessory P7 clip.
Last edited by Mako109 on Tue Jun 06, 2017 11:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Leadsled

Post by Leadsled »

At work I wear Wrangler cargo pants 2 sizes larger. In fact, all my pants are. I like to be able to crouch or kneel with my pants staying in place. The volume of the hand pockets is incredible. Let alone the cargo pockets.
Off work outside of the house I will carry Glock 30 at 4 o'clock position, between belt and pants. PM2 RHP. Car keys RHP. Two spare magazines left hip and spare keys LHP. No locking myself out of the car.
The secret to happiness in life is a good belt. I always wear a Wilderness 5 stitch.
I'm trying to erase the visual of men's pants that can't hold a Manix 2. But then again, I'm too fat to be a hipster
Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity.
ThePeacent

Post by ThePeacent »

no, not at all.
I carry RFP and LFP clipped daily, and I've grown used to it.
On occasion I clip a third knife on RRP but it's often place for a P7 clip or hanger with a SAK or Multitool hanging from it, standing straight and still inside the pocket

I only carry IWB fixed blades, and on rare occasion
LDB

Post by LDB »

Tru-Spec cargo pants, special knife pocket on each leg at 3 and 9 o'clock. Unfortunately, only a skinny knife like the Caly will fit in it though.
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

On the right clipped horizontal next to cellphone/watch pocket
zHorizontalCarry.jpg
On the left clipped horizontal in pocket
zwclip.jpg
Yojimbo clipless in the right hand cellphone/watch pocket, manbug in left T-shirt pocket.
zyoMan.jpg
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

I switched to LFP years ago, then to a Skinth pouch in the LFP, and finally to a Raven Concealment pocket shield. There are several reasons I switched to weak side carry, not the least of which is to avoid damage to steering wheels in cars. :rolleyes: :(
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
ABX2011

Post by ABX2011 »

I used to carry IWB. Now I carry RFP. I think it's more comfortable and convenient.
2 bears

Post by 2 bears »

Always carry RFP..I've tried others but that works best for me.
Robbob

Post by Robbob »

ZrowsN1s wrote:On the left clipped horizontal in pocket
There's usually a .380 riding right-front, and keys and wallet left-front. IWB doesn't play nice with my love handles. Top of left-front works well.
RLDubbya

Post by RLDubbya »

I carry my smaller blade RFP, and my larger blade LFP most times.

A question for the IWB, watch pocket, sheath/pouch, and hip pocket carries: does the Emerson Wave deploy with these carry methods?
murphjd25

Post by murphjd25 »

I carry left rear pocket Monday through Friday and right front pocket Saturday and Sunday.
Josh
anycal

Post by anycal »

I utilize all carries for different occasions.

Small knifes go in watch pocket, no clip. Generally for office carry.

Medium knives (PM2 and such), for ease of deployment they go in RFP. Usually have an untucked shirt, so it doesn't show. LFP for my dedicated left hander, Manix 2.

IWB is difficult when wearing a belt. But I do IWB when mountain biking or swimming. 3 o'clock works best for me.

Larger knives (like Military) end up in rear pocket during hiking, camping, or doing yard work.
Peter