Blade Show Excitement

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
animportant

Blade Show Excitement

Post by animportant »

What did you guys see at Blade that you are most excited about?

For me it would definitely be Lance's fixed blade design! About 4 1/4 inches of lightweight belt knife perfection with a cool stainless I haven't gotten to try out yet. For an active, sweaty guy like me who enjoys being in the water (though I don't get nearly the amount of time lance does, plus I'm almost always in fresh water) this is a definite buy.

I'm sure many will say it's the awesome Shaman.
SpyderEdgeForever

Re: Blade Show Excitement

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

When you say Lance's fixed blade design, are you referring to the upcoming Spyderco Fish Hunter or something newer?
sonarsessions

Post by sonarsessions »

I saw a bunch of current (colored PM3's, Delica's, etc) and new (Lil Native, etc.) models that were awesome. While I was handling the Carbon Fiber/Cruwear Manix 2, there was one I was really impressed by, that was promptly removed from display (since it isn't available yet, lol) which was the Manix 2 with Carbon Fiber peel-ply handles : C101CFPE2... so nice!
"All good, just different." :D

Current Spyderco's: C240CFP Smock CF S30V, C11PBK Saber Grind Delica 4 Black VG10, C101PBN2 Manix 2 Brown CTS XHP, C28PBK2 Dragonfly 2 FRN Black VG10, C223GP Para 3 Black G10 S30V, C28GRE2 Dragonfly 2 British Racing Green ZDP-189, C28ZFPGR2 Dragonfly 2 Zome VG10, C41PBK5 Native 5 FRN Black S35VN, C101PDBL2 Manix 2 Dark Blue S110v, C94PDBL UK PenKnife Lightweight Dark Blue FRN S110V, C41PDBL5 Native 5 Dark Blue S110V, C11FPWCBK Wharncliffe Delica 4 Black VG10, C10PSFG Endura 4 Foliage Green Combo VG10, C11FPBN Flat Ground Delica 4 Brown VG10
animportant

Post by animportant »

I didn't know they took away the composite, nice looking knife for sure.

And as for Lance's knife, I'll let Sal, Eric, or Lance provide details. Truly bad ***. I'm in the market for a lightweight, ergonomic, stainless, tough little belt knife and this fits the bill.
NickShabazz

Post by NickShabazz »

There was a lot of joy in the prototype case, which I don't know that we can discuss. But holy crap, Spyderco's got some neat stuff coming.
Mourning the Slysz Bowie and loving the rest of Spyderco's gems. Check out my reviews at https://www.youtube.com/c/nickshabazz!
animportant

Post by animportant »

Yea, I hope it's ok to mention the knife I did. If not, I will gladly edit my post.

There were so many cool folders but didn't want to mention them since their status is still uncertain.
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

There were so many cool things to look at in the Spyderco prototype case--it was frankly a little overwhelming (in a good way ;)). I tried to take as many mental notes as I could, but I know there were several models that I missed. There were also a lot of newly released models on display that I would have loved to hold, but time slipped me by. For me, I am really looking forward to the Shaman and the Lil' Natives (sounds like a cool band name, huh?). I'm also digging the Caribbean. Man, too many good things coming our way! :D
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
dplafoll

Post by dplafoll »

NickShabazz wrote:There was a lot of joy in the prototype case, which I don't know that we can discuss. But holy crap, Spyderco's got some neat stuff coming.
This. So much this right here.
Patrick LaFollette
Current: Dragonfly 2 ZDP-189, Chaparral 1, Techno 1, Delica 4 HAP-40, Dragonfly 2 HAP-40, Mantra 1, Ladybug Salt Hawkbill, Nirvana CPM, Endura 4 HAP-40, Sage 4, Para Military 2 CPM Cru-Wear, Sage 5, Caly3 HAP40, Sliverax, Lil' Nilakka, Chaparral Raffir Noble, Zulu, Manbug HAP40, Meerkat HAP40, Sage 1/Sage 2/Sage 3 CF, Introvert, Techno 2
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

Cant wait to hear more about Lance's "mystery" model. :P Whenever that may be, it has my interest!

Obviously, I'd be excited to hear anything prototype related, but totally understand that they can't always be discussed.
From what I've seen so far, the Lil' Natives have me most excited, and I'm eagerly waiting to hear more!
-Nick :bug-red
SpyderEdgeForever

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

Are there times when you may see a prototype in the case at the Blade or other knife shows, but, it never makes it to market due to lack of major market interest, ie it becomes estimated that not enough people will purchase that model for it to be economically feasible to produce, or other factors, such as technical limitations? Do we have examples of actual Spyderco folders or fixed blades that made it to the prototype stage, but not to the manufacturing and distribution to retailers stages?
Wanimator

Post by Wanimator »

NickShabazz wrote:There was a lot of joy in the prototype case, which I don't know that we can discuss. But holy crap, Spyderco's got some neat stuff coming.
I agree! Did you handle the waved one?
Tdog

Post by Tdog »

animportant wrote:What did you guys see at Blade that you are most excited about?

For me it would definitely be Lance's fixed blade design! About 4 1/4 inches of lightweight belt knife perfection with a cool stainless I haven't gotten to try out yet. For an active, sweaty guy like me who enjoys being in the water (though I don't get nearly the amount of time lance does, plus I'm almost always in fresh water) this is a definite buy.

I'm sure many will say it's the awesome Shaman.
Yes you have me curious :rolleyes: Can you be a bit more specific about the shape of the blade? Similar to a Millie or other model? Also what was the steel that was used? When you say lightweight was it full tang? G10, FRN, or other? I wouldn't think there would be a problem discussing this as the knife was on display. If I'm wrong on this someone from Spyderco please let us know. Perhaps Lance can give us a bit more info? Thanks
animportant

Post by animportant »

If Sal gives the go ahead I would be more than happy to share all information that I remember. All I can say is it's really a knife I have been looking for, for quite some time now, designed by a man who's really out there living the life. I want to make sure this thing comes to market!
NickShabazz

Post by NickShabazz »

Wanimator wrote:
I agree! Did you handle the waved one?
Maybe! There was so much to play with that it all started to blend together. And I tried hard not to remember everything, as I can't talk about it anyways :)
Mourning the Slysz Bowie and loving the rest of Spyderco's gems. Check out my reviews at https://www.youtube.com/c/nickshabazz!
tonijedi

Post by tonijedi »

Guys, come on! Tell us more about that fixed blade!
pftbahaa

Post by pftbahaa »

Of course anyone whose seen any of my posts knows I'm beyond excited for the Sliverax (which I am mentally referring to as the "Dr. Suess knife.") Other than that I think the most exciting thing in the coming soon case was seeing the Compression lock present in full force! Big things (and some small things) are coming and I couldn't find one that did not riddle me with anticipation!
Wanimator

Post by Wanimator »

My knife highlight for prototypes was handling a stoplock. Let's just say the knife utilizing it is a must buy for me.
Able Dog

Post by Able Dog »

I'm surprised by the general lack of Blade Show videos this year. Not just for Spyderco knives, but across the board. The Shaman looks very promising though.

W.O.T.W. - Way of the Wharncliffe
Wanimator

Post by Wanimator »

Few YouTubers were there. Pictures killed the video star?

It was pretty fun seeing the couple video people that I did though.
sal

Post by sal »

It's ok to discuss the designs for protos and concepts. We prefer that no images are shared until the knife, if made, is closer to production.

sal