Anyone carry a PM2 that wears a suit?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
ero2

Anyone carry a PM2 that wears a suit?

Post by ero2 »

We talked pretty extensively about what route I should go in another thread, but after handling my buddies PM2 today (I've carried a Native in my suit pants pocket for a year. Not in pocket, but clipped.) I don't know how I can't get one...I'm not worried at all about the size to be honest, but I am worried about it destroying my expensive dress pants. Anyone carry a PM2 and wear a suit daily? Did you replace the G10?

Am I truly making a bad call carrying that "large" of a knife wearing a suit in a professional environment daily?

Thoughts oh Spydie friends? Sorry for my insanity, perhaps SAS (Spyderco Acquisition Syndrome) has truly taken over and I'm over analyzing everything, lol. :)

(Tempted to order a Caly 3.5 from Amazon, but don't love CF look...)
RLDubbya

Re: Anyone carry a PM2 that wears a suit?

Post by RLDubbya »

I've never seen a PM2 wearing a suit. Pics or it didn't happen.
ero2

Post by ero2 »

RLDubbya wrote:I've never seen a PM2 wearing a suit. Pics or it didn't happen.
I am legitimately downloading photo shop to my backup computer (work one crashed) so I can try to put a PM2 into a suit for you! ;) LOL.
ohcyclist

Post by ohcyclist »

I wear a suit quite a bit and would not clip a PM2 on the pants. It will kill the pants quickly.

How has the native not done the same?
ero2

Post by ero2 »

ohcyclist wrote:I wear a suit quite a bit and would not clip a PM2 on the pants. It will kill the pants quickly.

Not actually sure, but I literally clip it on them every single day (obviously I rotate suits), but nothing, not even a pull...

I'm actually thinking the solution is to not clip anything to the pants, but in the jacket pocket, which would alleviate having to go with a specific blade for my suit.
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

I have a suit that has a small change or watch pocket sewn on the inside of the pocket if that makes sense? Like a pocket inside a pocket.

Anyhow, it's perfect for a Manbug. :cool:

Perhaps you could have a small loop or similar pocket sewn into your pants and you could carry your knife without wrecking your duds and without a clip showing. :)
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
C99c

Post by C99c »

When I have to dress up or specifically don't need to have tools visible I normally use a RCS Pocket Shield to hold what would otherwise be clipped to my pockets.
They look like they would be uncomfortable, but I've not found that to be true and you forget the Pocket Shield is there pretty quickly.

They are pretty versatile and come with an assortment of hardware. I've had good luck carrying folders, flashlights and small fixed blades attached to them.

http://raven-concealment-systems1.mybig ... et-shield/
Support Knife Rights. https://kniferights.org/

Don't buy knives from EBAY or AMAZON. There are plenty of good companies that will appreciate your business and don't sell fakes.
NoFair

Post by NoFair »

ero2 wrote:
ohcyclist wrote:I wear a suit quite a bit and would not clip a PM2 on the pants. It will kill the pants quickly.

Not actually sure, but I literally clip it on them every single day (obviously I rotate suits), but nothing, not even a pull...

I'm actually thinking the solution is to not clip anything to the pants, but in the jacket pocket, which would alleviate having to go with a specific blade for my suit.
I normally clip my knives to the inside of my waistband when wearing a suit, saves the pocket and is less visible. The G10 on the PM2 is pretty grabby when new and will tear up the fabric so if you want to save your suit and wear a PM2 I'd recommend lightly wetsanding the G10 with wet and dry sandpaper until it feels a bit smoother.
Mr Blonde

Post by Mr Blonde »

When I have to suit up, I prefer to clip on one of my gent's knives. While they're made from different materials (micarta, polished g10, stone, steel etc...), I've found that the fact that they all have smooth handle surfaces make them work well for carry in a suit. I can't imagine comfortably carry a PM2 in a suit, and not damage the fabric.
My Spyderco Pics & Reviews: www.spydercollector.com
Last website update: 3-11-2024 Instagram
demoncase

Post by demoncase »

I switched out the scales on my PM2 to Flytanium ones- so they are smooth and wouldn't damage even the slinkiest suit material.....But I feel the PM2 is too much knife for formal or office wear

I wouldn't go any bigger than a Delica (the all stainless one is nice for this application) or a Chaparral in size
Warhammer 40000 is- basically- Lord Of The Rings on a cocktail of every drug known to man and genuine lunar dust, stuck in a blender with Alien, Mechwarrior, Dune, Starship Troopers, Fahrenheit 451 and Star Wars, bathed in blood, turned up to eleventy billion, set on fire, and catapulted off into space screaming "WAAAGH!" and waving a chainsaw sword- without the happy ending.

https://www.instagram.com/commissarcainscoffeecup/
spyderwolf

Post by spyderwolf »

Aftermarket CF scales and a titanium deep carry clip,and you good to go.
Whenever there is any doubt, there is no doubt.
Donut

Post by Donut »

I would say the Carbon Fiber Chapparal would be a better fit. Smooth scales, wire clip.

Carbon Fiber Caly 3 would be an option, too.

In my head, Para 2 is for jeans and work attire. How much cutting or hard work are you going to do in a suit, anyways?
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
Midnightrider

Post by Midnightrider »

I tried this but it's really hard to pull the pm2 out of my pocket without giving myself a wedgie. Even my Pacific Salt rebels... note to self: learn to dress less formally.
Millies in S110V, CTS-204p, REX 45, PM2/S110v, Native 5/Maxamet, P4/K390, Pacific Salt SE/H1, UK PK
Wants/Wishes (only NIB and EU): Militarys in 52100, Maxamet, Cru-Wear, Manix 2/Maxamet
Yes, Virginia, that's a Purple Haze in my suit pocket :)
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

FRN is your friend with a suit. Funny thing is the PM2 is no where near as abrasive as Emerson's G10. That stuff is will eat a pocket like a wood chipper
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

This feels like one of those "tell me what I want to hear" questions lol. Your best bet is to get one with smooth CF scales but even then the clip is going to wear on the fabric over time. You could loosen the clip some but then you run the risk if losing it. I couldn't carry a knife this large and heavy loose in a suit pants pocket, it would flop around everywhere. If you're really determined to make it happen maybe take some pants to a tailor and have some extra fabric seem to the outside of the pocket where the knife clips. Maybe they can do it nice enough and match the fabric so it isn't an eyesore. Another option may be carrying it in your waste band or if you always wear a suit jacket maybe have a really nice leather sheath made and carry it on your belt.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
ero2

Post by ero2 »

Evil D wrote:This feels like one of those "tell me what I want to hear" questions lol. Your best bet is to get one with smooth CF scales but even then the clip is going to wear on the fabric over time. You could loosen the clip some but then you run the risk if losing it. I couldn't carry a knife this large and heavy loose in a suit pants pocket, it would flop around everywhere. If you're really determined to make it happen maybe take some pants to a tailor and have some extra fabric seem to the outside of the pocket where the knife clips. Maybe they can do it nice enough and match the fabric so it isn't an eyesore. Another option may be carrying it in your waste band or if you always wear a suit jacket maybe have a really nice leather sheath made and carry it on your belt.
I think my problem really is that I want one knife as both my suit knife and my "do everything else under the sun" knife...and that probably isn't the best option. Realistically, listening to everyone and having one for after hours/the weekend or my bag, and one that's extremely subtle in pocket, is where the happy medium will be.

So much for my "one knife, just one" lol. I'm a one wallet, one watch, etc person, so was trying to stay with 1 that could take the beatings and be worn in a suit was all. Certainly can see how my question came across that way though lol.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

It just means you have to compromise somewhere. You either suck it up and carry a knife that isn't at all suited for business attire, or you carry a smaller gents knife that isn't quite up to par for a weekend of camping.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

When I go to weddings or funerals, the only time I wear a suit, I carry a bigger folder in my inside coat pocket plus a small folder like a ladybug in my pants pocket for when I get warm and take my coat off.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
RLDubbya

Post by RLDubbya »

ero2 wrote:We talked pretty extensively about what route I should go in another thread, but after handling my buddies PM2 today (I've carried a Native in my suit pants pocket for a year. Not in pocket, but clipped.) I don't know how I can't get one...I'm not worried at all about the size to be honest, but I am worried about it destroying my expensive dress pants. Anyone carry a PM2 and wear a suit daily? Did you replace the G10?

Am I truly making a bad call carrying that "large" of a knife wearing a suit in a professional environment daily?

Thoughts oh Spydie friends? Sorry for my insanity, perhaps SAS (Spyderco Acquisition Syndrome) has truly taken over and I'm over analyzing everything, lol. :)

(Tempted to order a Caly 3.5 from Amazon, but don't love CF look...)
Keeping in mind that I'm not a PM2 fan at this time*, I would suggest looking at a Southard, in all black. I think that knife will be more gentle on fabrics; it will be better looking; and it will give you plenty of blade. For my tastes, the Southard is one of the nicest dress knives I've seen.

*I don't have anything specifically against the PM2; who knows, some morning in the future I may well wake up and realize that I do love the PM2. However, for now, it just doesn't do it for me. As much as I try to check any biases at the door, I might be making suggestions based on my innermost likes and nothing objective whatsoever.
Leadsled

Post by Leadsled »

Like Evil said, a leather sheath would be the way to go. Even if you took your jacket off, it shouldn't be a big deal. At least not in Texas. Or if you wanted something a touch smaller, the Para 3 is the way to go. Same G10 issue though. I'm sure someone has made a sheath for it by now.
Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity.