Anyone carry a PM2 that wears a suit?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
roger-roger

Re: Anyone carry a PM2 that wears a suit?

Post by roger-roger »

This is the reason I maintain both a Gen 1 Endura and Gen 2 Delica. The wire clip for me won't replace the old integrated FRN clip for dress pants use.
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

Even throwing a lanyard on it and free-pocketing would work. I'd just go a different route for a hard working gent's folder. Maybe like a Sage or Advocate. Variety is a good thing and if you do have to use it the aesthetics will line up better.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Probably a good compromise would be a Manix 2 Lightweight. It isn't much of a gents knife but it's reasonably light for it's size and tough enough for serious use. The wire clip will also be easier on your pants.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Midnightrider

Post by Midnightrider »

Evil D wrote:It just means you have to compromise somewhere. You either suck it up and carry a knife that isn't at all suited for business attire, or you carry a smaller gents knife that isn't quite up to par for a weekend of camping.
Or C. You carry a lightweight Native 5 in Maxamet ;)
Millies in S110V, CTS-204p, REX 45, PM2/S110v, Native 5/Maxamet, P4/K390, Pacific Salt SE/H1, UK PK
Wants/Wishes (only NIB and EU): Militarys in 52100, Maxamet, Cru-Wear, Manix 2/Maxamet
Yes, Virginia, that's a Purple Haze in my suit pocket :)
ero2

Post by ero2 »

Evil D wrote:Probably a good compromise would be a Manix 2 Lightweight. It isn't much of a gents knife but it's reasonably light for it's size and tough enough for serious use. The wire clip will also be easier on your pants.
Yea, Native in Maxamet or Manix 2 would probably be good choices too...I know the Native won't cause issues because I've carried one, and the FRN/Clip would be easier on slacks.

Is there a clear winner between the Native and Manix 2? (Aware the maxamet is supposed to be amazing, just trying to justify the extra cost.)

I guess sticking to what I know is fine or will work, is easiest...and I'll just add to my "non work"/EDC collection going forward. :)
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

ero2 wrote:
Evil D wrote:Probably a good compromise would be a Manix 2 Lightweight. It isn't much of a gents knife but it's reasonably light for it's size and tough enough for serious use. The wire clip will also be easier on your pants.
Yea, Native in Maxamet or Manix 2 would probably be good choices too...I know the Native won't cause issues because I've carried one, and the FRN/Clip would be easier on slacks.

Is there a clear winner between the Native and Manix 2? (Aware the maxamet is supposed to be amazing, just trying to justify the extra cost.)

I guess sticking to what I know is fine or will work, is easiest...and I'll just add to my "non work"/EDC collection going forward. :)
I see it as more of two sizes to choose from than one being better than the other. Ergonomically they're pretty similar but the Native is a bit small to get a good grip behind the choil, whereas the Manix can be used without ever touching the choil. Personally I would only choose the Native over the Manix if I had to deal with blade length laws. The Manix only weighs about a quarter ounce more and gives you a lot more to work with when it's time to do real work. With this scenario I would have to make my choice heavily biased towards off work use while finding the least bothersome knife to carry in a suit. You can do random office tasks with any blade so the biggest compromise would come from choosing a smaller gents folder to use when outside of work.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
ero2

Post by ero2 »

Evil D wrote:
ero2 wrote:

I see it as more of two sizes to choose from than one being better than the other. Ergonomically they're pretty similar but the Native is a bit small to get a good grip behind the choil, whereas the Manix can be used without ever touching the choil. Personally I would only choose the Native over the Manix if I had to deal with blade length laws. The Manix only weighs about a quarter ounce more and gives you a lot more to work with when it's time to do real work. With this scenario I would have to make my choice heavily biased towards off work use while finding the least bothersome knife to carry in a suit. You can do random office tasks with any blade so the biggest compromise would come from choosing a smaller gents folder to use when outside of work.

Yup, this is exactly how I needed to look at it! Gonna go with the Manix LW :)

In sad news, I opened my sharp maker to check it out after the move, and the white stones have ships...adding replacements to my order. There really isn't any better system correct? It's the only one I've ever used.
bdblue

Post by bdblue »

I don't wear a suit every day, but when I do I'm likely to be carrying a PM2, or maybe a Manix 2. I have not had a problem with the G10. If I was worried about it, it would be a simple matter to smooth the G10 at the spot where the clip bears on it. I think the clip itself is kind enough to the fabric.
vivi

Post by vivi »

I carry a Police 3 when I wear a suit. Its my dress up knife because its thin and carries well in slacks, and its old and worn in so the G10 is smooth.

Carry it in your waistband. I can comfortably carry my P3, Manix XL or Szabo folder IWB in slacks 8 hours a day.

The Para 2 is the smallest knife that's been in my EDC rotation the past ~7 years. :p
Midnightrider

Post by Midnightrider »

Ok so I've been EDCing a Millie for two weeks. I wear a suit to work. I find the military carries much smaller than I expected and the clip on mine is much easier to deal with than the one on my pm2. I see wear on the G10 but have not found any damage to the pants yet. Over the long haul who knows. Right now I'm very happy with this choice.

I get to work by train so I carry the knife in my back pocket except when I'm heading to the station and on the train. Then I carry it iwb which is awkwards and kinda not real comfortable.
Millies in S110V, CTS-204p, REX 45, PM2/S110v, Native 5/Maxamet, P4/K390, Pacific Salt SE/H1, UK PK
Wants/Wishes (only NIB and EU): Militarys in 52100, Maxamet, Cru-Wear, Manix 2/Maxamet
Yes, Virginia, that's a Purple Haze in my suit pocket :)
Bill1170

Post by Bill1170 »

I carry a PM2 and I wear a suit, but never at the same time. The knife is too big and blocky for dress pants, IMO.
mb1

Post by mb1 »

Small, classy slipjoints and suits go nicely together. I try to avoid suits, though I do like traditionals. ;)
- Mark

"Don't believe everything you think." -anonymous wise man
Jwc77

Post by Jwc77 »

My chaparral gets the nod when dressed up. It is perfect in this role. Looks classy...smooth cf scales...very thin...wire clip...light weight. It is my newest Spydie but having owned it a few months now, It is quickly becoming a favorite of mine.
Mr Danger

Post by Mr Danger »

As someone who dresses up and carries a knife every day, having a clip hanging out of your pocket looks tacky. I go with a Sage 1 most days because a smoother CF is the way to go in slacks
Sharp knife / hairless arm.
Hardbawl

Post by Hardbawl »

Save your own pants. Take the pocket clit off your knife. Take a rod from a crock stick or sharp maker and break the edge where the clip may touch your pants. In less than 10 minutes your problem is solved. The clip on my left hand PM2 is as kind to my suit pants as it is to my jeans and sweats. Hardbawl
PayneTrain

Post by PayneTrain »

Where are we on the pic of a PM2 wearing a suit? I came into this thread chuckling to myself at the thought of it!

For me, the PM2 is too conspicuous for formal attire. I usually grab either a deep wire clip like the Caly, or most often I go for my super fancy Lionsteel SR2 which carries even deeper with a very small clip. Plus it's titanium, handsome, and expensive so it really fits. That being said, I hate wearing a suit. I am not a fancy man!

But if you really want a PM2 with you, I'd suggest just carrying IWB.
"Be the person your dog thinks you are."
ero2

Post by ero2 »

PayneTrain wrote:Where are we on the pic of a PM2 wearing a suit? I came into this thread chuckling to myself at the thought of it!

For me, the PM2 is too conspicuous for formal attire. I usually grab either a deep wire clip like the Caly, or most often I go for my super fancy Lionsteel SR2 which carries even deeper with a very small clip. Plus it's titanium, handsome, and expensive so it really fits. That being said, I hate wearing a suit. I am not a fancy man!

But if you really want a PM2 with you, I'd suggest just carrying IWB.

Ironically the sr2 (alum one) has been on my radar recently. I know it's not a spydie but am curious on your thoughts on it, if you wouldn't mind sharing?
PayneTrain

Post by PayneTrain »

ero2 wrote:
Ironically the sr2 (alum one) has been on my radar recently. I know it's not a spydie but am curious on your thoughts on it, if you wouldn't mind sharing?
Well there is the Spyderco version, the Lil' Lionspy, so I think it's legal to discuss. :) The SR2 is super cool. It's definitely overbuilt with that lockbar lock and thick blade, and the thick convex edge is definitely not something Spyderco fans would be used to. It's still a pleasure to use, look at, and carry. One of my favorite things about it, and the main reason it works so well with dress clothes, is how deep it carries and how small and inconspicuous the clip is. The metal handle is easy on your pants too. My titanium is light enough for me, but I bet the aluminum would be even easier to carry. It's a really handsome design, yet it's built for hard hard use. If you don't mind the thick edge, there's not much to not like about it.
"Be the person your dog thinks you are."
Donut

Post by Donut »

ero2 wrote:
Evil D wrote:This feels like one of those "tell me what I want to hear" questions lol. Your best bet is to get one with smooth CF scales but even then the clip is going to wear on the fabric over time. You could loosen the clip some but then you run the risk if losing it. I couldn't carry a knife this large and heavy loose in a suit pants pocket, it would flop around everywhere. If you're really determined to make it happen maybe take some pants to a tailor and have some extra fabric seem to the outside of the pocket where the knife clips. Maybe they can do it nice enough and match the fabric so it isn't an eyesore. Another option may be carrying it in your waste band or if you always wear a suit jacket maybe have a really nice leather sheath made and carry it on your belt.
I think my problem really is that I want one knife as both my suit knife and my "do everything else under the sun" knife...and that probably isn't the best option. Realistically, listening to everyone and having one for after hours/the weekend or my bag, and one that's extremely subtle in pocket, is where the happy medium will be.

So much for my "one knife, just one" lol. I'm a one wallet, one watch, etc person, so was trying to stay with 1 that could take the beatings and be worn in a suit was all. Certainly can see how my question came across that way though lol.
I would say best of both worlds would be the Sage 5. Wire clip, almost smooth carbon fiber scales, compression lock and S30V.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
bh49

Post by bh49 »

I do not carry PM2, when I wear a suit. I believe that there are plenty of better options in Spyderco line-up, just to name a few: Memory, Kopas, Kiwis, CF Calys including damascuss, 75 mm Persian, Micro-Dayads, Ti Fluted N5, Full size Persin, Hungarian. Heavier knives like Ti Fluted N5 I carry loose in my rear pocket.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian